Im so very new to Incubation.. advice would be greatly appreciated

sweetP12

Hatching
6 Years
May 4, 2013
Souther Indiana
I have quail and chickens, any and all questions pertain to both. I have an incubator with a turner and one with out. ~ My deductions from my learning.. as I am very new to all of this. Quail hatch in 17-20 days. I should take them out of the turner at about 15 days, right? Chicken eggs hatch in about 21 days, so they should come out of the turner at about 18 days, right? On our first attempt we only tried 2 quail eggs, happy to say at 16 days one healthy (for the most part) quail hatched, one ended up just being what we believe an unfertilized egg... it was just a yellow yolky egg. We since have become more involved "dedicated" to incubation. Am I right on the dates for hatching? Do the eggs need to be in the incubator for any length of time before they can be candled? I am so very new to this and want to do the best I can do.. any advice would be greatly apprecitated.. thank you

Sounds like you have it figured out right. It sounds like you are hatching Coturnix quail which take 16-17 days. Other varieties of quail take differing lengths of time. Most people figure on day 18 for chickens and day 14-15 for Coturnix. I usually let my chickens go until day 19, but that is personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom