Im thinking about getting quail.

-Chanticleer-

Crowing
May 18, 2023
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hello👋 ,

I’ve been thinking about getting quail and need some advice. How many should I start with and what are the do’s and don’ts? I’m still in the research phase and I have a spot in my garden where I could build a nice hutch for them to live in. I’m thinking about getting four one male two female. Also are quails quiet?

Thanks in advance!

Hello👋 ,

I’ve been thinking about getting quail and need some advice. How many should I start with and what are the do’s and don’ts? I’m still in the research phase and I have a spot in my garden where I could build a nice hutch for them to live in. I’m thinking about getting four one male two female. Also are quails quiet?

Thanks in advance!
What species?

Hello👋 ,

Thanks in advance!
I’m guessing you’re planning on coturnix. So I can help a little but I’m still relatively new. But 1 roo is gonna need at least 4 hens or else you will end up with overbreeding. Make sure there is at least 1 square foot per quail make sure you measure it and take out the areas that are occupied by a waterer feeder and other things. And the quietness depends on quail my first batch is pretty quiet except for the roo who is a bit loud sometimes but not loud enough to let the neighbors know. Hope this helps and have fun in your quail adventure feel free to ask for help when you need it.

Not too particular about species. I like how the crested ones look. What specie is preferred? I’m not looking for meat/production. These would be more as pets.

I’m guessing you’re planning on coturnix. So I can help a little but I’m still relatively new. But 1 roo is gonna need at least 4 hens or else you will end up with overbreeding. Make sure there is at least 1 square foot per quail make sure you measure it and take out the areas that are occupied by a waterer feeder and other things. And the quietness depends on quail my first batch is pretty quiet except for the roo who is a bit loud sometimes but not loud enough to let the neighbors know. Hope this helps and have fun in your quail adventure feel free to ask for help when you need it.
That’s what is readily available in my area. I don’t want to have birds shipped. I think I’ll do five female then and one male. The waterer and food should have its separate area? Also I have a chick waterer and feeder I no longer use will that work for quails? I don’t plan on starting off with chicks but maybe a few weeks old. Also plan on making the coop over this coming weekend after I do some research. Possibly get quail next week.

I haven’t as Im in the beginning of researching quails. But I will take a look thank you👍.
I would start with the Sticky Topics as well. The best quail for a beginner would be coturnix. The other require permits in most states while coturnix don't. Coturnix have also been domesticated for a while so they are much calmer than other types, but don't expect them to be like chickens.

That’s what is readily available in my area. I don’t want to have birds shipped. I think I’ll do five female then and one male. The waterer and food should have its separate area? Also I have a chick waterer and feeder I no longer use will that work for quails? I don’t plan on starting off with chicks but maybe a few weeks old. Also plan on making the coop over this coming weekend after I do some research. Possibly get quail next week.
Food and waterer don’t need their own area but when you measure how many square feet your enclosure is take out a square foot per feeder and waterer.
Edit fixed typo

Back
Top Bottom