I'M TRYING SO HARD TO GET STARTED

wlee

Hatching
12 Years
Feb 20, 2007
LYNCHBURG, VA
I have been wanting chickens for over a year now, and my husband had suprised me with chicks for valentines day. I was to get my chicks that Sat.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
BAD NEWS; I live in VA. and we had a bad ice storm, the chicks were coming from a local farmer. A tree fell on his barn and killd all the chicks. I cryed like a baby:(
sad.png
. he had ordered me Delawares, is this a good choice. These will be city chicks!!! I grew up on a farm what can I say!! I have two girls and I want them to experience the love you can have for these babies. Please help me with picking out a good breed, and what breeds go well together. Thanks:D

Welcome, i'm also kind of new too. I think it's great to get kids started with chickens. I ordered delawares too because of their docile temperment but recently heard the brahmas are really great with kids so i also ordered a couple of those as well. When are the chicks coming?

THATS JUST IT, I HAVE TO RE-ORDER FROM SOMEONE ELSE, SINCE MY BABIES DIED IN THE ICE. I GUESS I WILL ORDER THROUGH THE MAIL?

wlee, sorry to hear about the peeps. Hope you have good luck with the next try at this wonderful hobby. We prefer Light Brahmas, although it seems everyone likes the breed they have. Brahmas are gentle, good light brown egg layers, and take the cold better than some breeds. Welcome to BYC.

bigzio

Some suggestions, check to see if there is a poultry group on Yahoo for Virginia. See if there is a poultry club in your area, they would be a good source for birds and avoid the hazards of shipping. Watch for poultry shows in your area.

Look in the topic, Where are you? to see if there are folks near you that have the breeds you're interested in. Also, look in the Backyard Breeders topic.

I try to avoid shipping lives because of the hazards, I have a bird dieing now that was shipped. The post office lost my guineas the first time I ordered. I will never do it again.

So sorry to hear about your chicks.

Check with your local feed stores and see if they will have chicks this spring. You might also see if they will order some for you with their order.

Wlee,

Where are you in VA? I'm in Stafford county just north of Fredericksburg.
I just placed an order for some chicks from Meyers Hatchery (shipping late March when it's a little warmer!). I'm getting what's comonly called easter eggers, just because I like the idea of the egg color and that the chicks may have some variety in looks. From what I've researched most "laying" type breeds can be friendly, just like with dogs and cats it depends a lot on their upbringing.

If you live in a city, I would not get young chicks from a local farm because they will be what's known as a "straight run", meaning you are likely to get as many roosters as hens (which means lots of noise
smile.png
. You can get pullets (young hens) from a local farm or go in with someone on an order from a hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom