Impacted Crop, Egg Bound too?

She's doing well. She seems to be moving a little slower than the rest but she doesn't seem to be in any pain. In fact, when I brought down a sunflower head that I have been drying for them she attacked it with the best of them! She's eating and drinking well but didn't lay today. I don't notice any swelling (at least not like I did with Henrietta). I have not tried antibiotics. I do supplement their water with a little calcium every other day because their egg shells are thinner than they should be. They have access to oyster shell but won't eat it unless I mix it in with crushed egg shells, which they LOVE.
Well, she'll either be fine and start laying shelled eggs again or she will succumb to some sort of repro tract infection.
sad.png
I tend to treat mine aggressively with with fluids, supportive care, calcium, antibiotics, and anti-inflammatories, but that's just how I do things.

-Kathy

With our last girl, Henrietta, I did give calcium. I didn't ever try antibiotics (didn't realize I could until too late) or anti-inflamatories. What do you use for an anti-inflamatory? Henrietta, at first, just laid the shell-less egg (a.k.a. treat) and then quit laying all together. She lasted about 4 months after she started laying the shell-less eggs on a regular basis.

I wouldn't think it would be useful.

I gave a laxitive because her crop was hard (I believed impacted) but then after the 2nd massage it felt doughy - which is not the same as sour crop (which feels squishy). It's firm, but it's pliable - like play-doh. I have no idea if it helped or if it was the crop massages that helped or the concotion I mixed up for doughy crop.

With our last girl, Henrietta, I did give calcium. I didn't ever try antibiotics (didn't realize I could until too late) or anti-inflamatories. What do you use for an anti-inflamatory? Henrietta, at first, just laid the shell-less egg (a.k.a. treat) and then quit laying all together. She lasted about 4 months after she started laying the shell-less eggs on a regular basis.
The anti-inflammatories will help reduce swelling of the repro tract and make it easier to pass shelled or shell less eggs. Calcium might help laying down shell, and will help with contraction to get the eggs out, but what really helps are fluids, lots of them.

Not positive, but I think the the stool softener you gave works by drawing moisture into the intestines, which means by giving it you can be contributing to dehydration, which will compound the egg laying issue. There is a good reason that the instructions on the bottle say to take with a full glass of water.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Last edited:
why NOT use tumeric, ginger or aloe vera??? I dont see how it can hurt. I sprinkle a little on some of their occ... scrambled egg or occ cooked brown rice
I lately having been buying supposedly Organic tumeric by the pound. Lots cheaper.......
heck I eat it myself. Just put some powdered ginger in MY applesauce.
wow I forgot how good it tastes... Defintely good in pumpkin, cooked pumpkin or acorn
squash.
I havent bought whole ginger root for a while. Might try to find it again.
just a saying

Back
Top Bottom