Impacted crop, impacted gizard, sour crop.....differences in each?

I'm dealing with this now. Its interesting that impacted crop and sour crop go hand in hand. Honestly, if it had impacted crop then I would assume sour crop is to
Happen also. Just my thoughts on the matter.

I just had a Wyandotte that had an impacted crop 2 weeks ago, It was starting to have an odor. She wouldn't eat and lost a lot of weight. I followed the instructions I got on this site, I gave her olive oil with an eye dropper than massaged her crop in an upward motion a few times a day. I also added electrolytes to her drinking water and a little apple cider vinegar. I fed her yogurt and a little mushed cantaloupe. It worked she is doing great and is eating everything.
Papita

Hooray!!!
wee.gif

BackyardChickens.com is sure a great place to share help with each other. Very glad your hen got well!

I have a turkey with this problem ( I think) I have been making sure to give him lots of water and message his crop. I also spoke with a vet this am who said I could try to tube feed him some water. Making sure the tube is on the left side and that you can feel the tube, you can put water directly into the crop. He didn't love it but seems like its helping to make the size smaller...

My beloved silkie, Chardonnay seems to have a crop problem - she was jerking her head around quite a bit and we realised that her crop was enlarged, we have vomited her a couple of times, she seems desperate to eat but every time she has something to eat it seems to just be getting stuck, she has done the odd poop which I guess suggests that something is getting through - I have been massaging her throughout the days, it lump feels a bit gritty although I can move it around quite a bit, I just can't seem to help her shift it.. she has had water and plenty of natural yoghurt. She's been separated from the other hens, she is in the shed now where it is quiet and sheltered.
Any further ideas? I daren't cut her open - I just don't think I can do it - there are no chicken friendly vets close to me unfortunately.

I have a turkey that is about 3 months old. No problems until about 2 weeks ago when we noticed her crop did not look right. After researching on the internet, I decided she had sour crop. We used apple cider vinegar and massage. We weren't trying to make her vomit, but she did - a lot of yucky stuff. We have now gone through sour crop three times (the first was the only time she vomited). Today, her crop is a bit harder - feels kind of like it has Play Doh in it. Should I be worried? I think I may have to let her have a cage to herself and only feed a little bit a few times a day. She loves to eat and eats quite a lot it seems to me. I also have chickens and guineas and have them in a run (3400 square feet with a top) and have been feeding them chicken pellets. I am very worried about her - she is my pet and my only turkey so I worry over every little thing. Does anyone have any suggestions? Once they get a crop problem, are they more prone to get more? Can you think of anything I might be doing wrong? Any pointers or hints would be most appreciated. Thank you all - I have already found a lot of info on this site.

Papita's ideas above on this page might be of help--massaging several times a day, olive oil, yogurt, moist treats.

I hope someone who knows more will chime in...
Bump

Last edited:
So far so good with my turkey! I kept her in a smaller pen by herself for a couple of weeks. Scrambled two eggs in olive oil and mixed a heaping tablespoon of plain yogurt and fed her that in the morning and evening for a couple of weeks. After the first few days, I started putting a little feed out about midmorning. I bought some tablets online for sour crop, and I gave her one before I put her back in with the other chickens. So far, she is doing great - no more issues to date, although I do still feel her crop every morning and every night. She loved the eggs and yogurt, so I still give her that for a treat every now and again. Thanks to everyone for your help. This site is great and really offers encouragement for problems!

Last edited:
Struggling with a chick that seems to have a crop issue. 4 days old. Soaking her food. Taking food out so she can't eat for a few hours. I massage it every thirty minutes. I'm very nervous. Any help would be welcomed.

Is it impacted or sour crop? In my experience, if it is sour crop it will feel kind of like a water balloon. My turkey had a sour crop, but she was several months old. I fed her yogurt mixed with soft scrambled eggs for several days - the yogurt works like acidopholus for us - feeds the good bacteria to break down the food in her crop. I fed her that morning and evening. I would be nervous too - especially with one that young.

Back
Top Bottom