Impacted crop, impacted gizard, sour crop.....differences in each?

Also, I found that a few drops of olive oil helped her, and I think it would work no matter whether it is sour or impacted.

Oil with a dropper? I gave some yogurt and egg mash before I laid down. I'm sleeping in the room with them and him. Got him separate in the same brooder. I don't want to leave him with the other chicks and the hard food. I'm just winging it here. I hope he makes it. Thanks for the advice.

Yes - you can use an eye dropper - not too much for a tiny one - maybe a drop or two. Or if you are giving yogurt or eggs, you can mix it with them. I got it in my turkey by scrambling the eggs in a tiny bit of olive oil - if you do that I wouldn't give him more than that. I just handled this by trail and error, and my turkey came through it. I hope yours does too. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!

Last edited:
Oil with a dropper? I gave some yogurt and egg mash before I laid down. I'm sleeping in the room with them and him. Got him separate in the same brooder. I don't want to leave him with the other chicks and the hard food. I'm just winging it here. I hope he makes it. Thanks for the advice.
Be very careful when giving liquids, especially oil from a dropper. Aspiration can occur and cause aspiration pneumonia or lipoid pneumonia.

-Kathy

May I ask here which you suggest my new hen is experiencing.
She is a 1 yo Pekin who's crop literally touches the ground.
It is soft squishy and can feel granules inside aswell.
I have tried vimiting her but only get a spoonful at a time.
She is bobbing her head and trying to clear something obviously.
Eating pooping and running around with the others 2without problems??!???

silk kristel-- I know little about this topic, but if you also start a new thread in the "Emergencies" section of the forum (if you haven't already), hopefully some others will spot your post & be able to give some good advice.
Best wishes!

May I ask here which you suggest my new hen is experiencing.
She is a 1 yo Pekin who's crop literally touches the ground.
It is soft squishy and can feel granules inside aswell.
I have tried vimiting her but only get a spoonful at a time.
She is bobbing her head and trying to clear something obviously.
Eating pooping and running around with the others 2without problems??!???
Maybe pendulous crop?
http://poultrykeeper.com/digestive-system-problems/pendulous-crop

Probably best to take her to a vet.

-Kathy

Hi-
In the foreground is our two week old chick "Chaps". Chaps is a lot smaller than her chick mates about half the size. She has been eating but a bit more tired than the others. Several days ago I notices a small knot in her crop. I have also noticed her running around with a piece of pine shred like it is a trophy trying to eat it like she is hungry. In this photo I just gave her some of her milled chick food with water - she gorged herself and not her crop is soft. Any thoughts from anyone on what to do. She seems to be drinking fine and her waste is softish but normal colored. I though maybe she had a parasite ( to account for her remaining so small) so I got her stool tested which came out fine. Any thoughts on what I should do? I am now suspecting she has a compacted crop but I am not sure. She was born April 16th. Any help would be appreciated we are brand new to raising chickens.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom