Impacted crop surgery - incision won't close

mlholmquist

Chirping
Nov 16, 2020
I have a 1 year old hen who had an impacted crop. At first we weren't really worried about it, it's been going on for a month or so. And it always seemed to settle down on its own. But on Friday last week she started getting very lethargic, and went downhill from there. We can't afford vets for our chickens so on Monday I got up the nerve to do impacted crop surgery. It's been about 48 Hours. the surgery went surprisingly well. She handled it well. We did not stitch her closed, based on my research that they sho well without stitches. But the incision will not close! We bandaged it at first And that seemed to work fine. But she started picking at the wrapping and I didn't want her getting more junk in her crop. So we took the wrap off and I tried some spray-on bandage. That seemed to work well and I thought we were on the upswing. But now this afternoon after drinking a little water the incision is leaking all over the place again. She's had yogurt, about a tablespoon at a time every several hours. This morning she got an egg. And then this afternoon a tablespoon or two of crumble made into a mash with water. She has access to water with ACV. I'm going to rewrap her again, but I'd love some help, suggestions, reassurance, or verbal flogging if I've done something really stupid for my sweet Hazelnut.

First pic is immediately after surgery. The white blob is neosporin over the incision. The streak going down is dried blood.

Second pic was this morning, about 36 hours post op.

Third pic is just now

4th pic is pre-surgery.

Attachments

• 20210531_175946.jpg
    20210531_175946.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 20210602_091819.jpg
    20210602_091819.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210602_154505.jpg
    20210602_154505.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210508_130508.jpg
    20210508_130508.jpg
    984.9 KB · Views: 53
The crop stretches and comes back as the bird eats and digests, it's not going to stay closed without sutures or glue. Skin and muscle wounds will often heal better without closing up, but the crop itself is going to need to be closed. Otherwise food will continue to leak out and risk of infection will be higher.

Thank you both for your replies. I did try liquid bandage, which is supposed to be like superglue but safer? But clearly it's not strong enough.

At this point is there any hope with superglue? Or should I learn to suture?

And, either way, do the edges need to be reopened/re-cut for them to knit together since it's been 2 days? Or will her system figure it out?

She has a fancy new apron for now. :)

Thanks again for your kindness. I just want to do right by her.

Attachments

• 20210602_164445.jpg
    20210602_164445.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 56
By the way, that video was what gave me the confidence to even try!!! I had just read other advice that said not to stitch or glue, that they'll heal on their own. Thank you for sharing the video. Our surgery was almost identical to theirs with a slightly smaller incision.

Well, she popped the superglue the first time around. So we cleaned her up again, trimmed a few more feathers, and glued it again right before bed. She was calmer the 2nd time, and I think I got the area dryer, i glued a larger area, and it was dark when we finished so I set her right on the roosting bar and covered the infirmary for the night. That stiff, pokey, tight, dried superglue can't be comfortable! I really hope it works. I'm at my wit's end if it doesn't. :(

I have a 1 year old hen who had an impacted crop. At first we weren't really worried about it, it's been going on for a month or so. And it always seemed to settle down on its own. But on Friday last week she started getting very lethargic, and went downhill from there. We can't afford vets for our chickens so on Monday I got up the nerve to do impacted crop surgery. It's been about 48 Hours. the surgery went surprisingly well. She handled it well. We did not stitch her closed, based on my research that they sho well without stitches. But the incision will not close! We bandaged it at first And that seemed to work fine. But she started picking at the wrapping and I didn't want her getting more junk in her crop. So we took the wrap off and I tried some spray-on bandage. That seemed to work well and I thought we were on the upswing. But now this afternoon after drinking a little water the incision is leaking all over the place again. She's had yogurt, about a tablespoon at a time every several hours. This morning she got an egg. And then this afternoon a tablespoon or two of crumble made into a mash with water. She has access to water with ACV. I'm going to rewrap her again, but I'd love some help, suggestions, reassurance, or verbal flogging if I've done something really stupid for my sweet Hazelnut.

First pic is immediately after surgery. The white blob is neosporin over the incision. The streak going down is dried blood.

Second pic was this morning, about 36 hours post op.

Third pic is just now

4th pic is pre-surgery.
Crop bra might help. Will prevent gravity from pulling at the wound

Well, she popped the superglue the first time around. So we cleaned her up again, trimmed a few more feathers, and glued it again right before bed. She was calmer the 2nd time, and I think I got the area dryer, i glued a larger area, and it was dark when we finished so I set her right on the roosting bar and covered the infirmary for the night. That stiff, pokey, tight, dried superglue can't be comfortable! I really hope it works. I'm at my wit's end if it doesn't. :(
I know it’s been a long time but did she ever heal? I’m going having an issue with a chicken of mine where he mmmmm she was closed up after surgery but got impacted again and the area tore opened the second time. Now her incision site is old and I’m wondering if it will heal properly this time around.

I know it’s been a long time but did she ever heal? I’m going having an issue with a chicken of mine where he mmmmm she was closed up after surgery but got impacted again and the area tore opened the second time. Now her incision site is old and I’m wondering if it will heal properly this time around.
Same problem. Been a few days since surgery and a bit of the wound has popped open, it is all dry like it has began healing this way (open) so wondering what I can do to close it up or if it will close itself.

Back
Top Bottom