Impacted Crop Surgery (with video)

@Avalon0412

Hi

I performed this surgery twice this year. I did not have access to lidocaine or any other anaesthetic and I am aware that too much can kill them anyway, so I took the decision to do the surgery without any anaesthetic, as she would die without it.

She was on her feet and eating within 10 mins of the surgery and 2 weeks later, she was back up to weight and laying eggs again, so I would encourage you to go for it....I have no medical training either but I watched a few You Tube videos (I hadn't seen this one until today) and that really helped.

The mistake I made the first time was to operate with her lying on her side.... she refluxed during incision and aspirated some vomit..... I thought that would be the finish of her but she recovered even without antibiotics and after 3-4 days of wheezing and raspy breathing, she came good, so definitely have someone hold her in this upright position.

Tips:-
Make the incision quite high up in the crop so that there is less chance of seepage if the closure is not totally fluid tight.
Incision only wants to be about an inch long.
Make sure you get all the material out and as one of the other contributors said, flush with saline made from boiled water and table or sea salt.
Blot the crop incision lips to remove excess moisture and use Super Glue.... I was sceptical but it worked brilliantly and so much quicker than sutures.
I left the skin incision open and just gave it a good coating of an antiseptic cream....I was worried that the Super Glue would not seal the crop and didn't want it seeping under the skin, so left it open in case it needed to drain..... it didn't.... but I didn't feel like leaving the wound open was a problem....chickens recover from some pretty desperate wounds from attacks and injuries without stitches, so I was confident my small clean incision would heal without being closed and it did.
Because she had respiratory problems as a result of aspirating, I didn't want to handle her too much, so I didn't dress the wound during the following days, just kept her living space clean and she healed miraculously.

She was on her feet and eating fermented feed as soon as she was released by my partner who had been holding her for me.
Like in the video, I got a soft ball sized clump of fibrous material (soggy straw) from a bantam pekin ..... it was nearly heavier than she was. Interestingly mine did not smell bad at all.... literally no smell, but I think fermented feed may have helped prevent sour crop developing.
She did not hold it against me for operating without anaesthetic and was just as friendly after surgery as she was before. I have also read of a bird being operated on by a vet quite recently and dying from the anaesthetic, so weigh up the risks carefully if you are able to obtain lidocaine.

Sadly my little hen went back to eating bedding and a few months later she developed the problem again. I left it too late before I opted to perform the surgery a second time and although the surgery was successful, she was too weak to recover.... I was heartbroken as she was such a sweet little chicken, but she clearly had a psychological problem that drove her to eat straw..... a bit like me eating chocolate, even though I know it's bad for me.

Anyway, I wish you luck with your girl and if I can be of any further assistance in respect of answering any queries you might have, please shout up.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it goes as well as mine did with Vippy. I'll post a link to my account of it and the photos of what I removed and her wound healing.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ns-xxx-graphic-necropsy-photos.823961/page-33

Post No 330 in that thread documents my surgery and post No 333 was the crop surgery video I found most helpful.

Please update this thread with how it goes.

Last edited:
@Avalon0412

Hi

I performed this surgery twice this year. I did not have access to lidocaine or any other anaesthetic and I am aware that too much can kill them anyway, so I took the decision to do the surgery without any anaesthetic, as she would die without it.

She was on her feet and eating within 10 mins of the surgery and 2 weeks later, she was back up to weight and laying eggs again, so I would encourage you to go for it....I have no medical training either but I watched a few You Tube videos (I hadn't seen this one until today) and that really helped.

The mistake I made the first time was to operate with her lying on her side.... she refluxed during incision and aspirated some vomit..... I thought that would be the finish of her but she recovered even without antibiotics and after 3-4 days of wheezing and raspy breathing, she came good, so definitely have someone hold her in this upright position.

Tips:-
Make the incision quite high up in the crop so that there is less chance of seepage if the closure is not totally fluid tight.
Incision only wants to be about an inch long.
Make sure you get all the material out and as one of the other contributors said, flush with saline made from boiled water and table or sea salt.
Blot the crop incision lips to remove excess moisture and use Super Glue.... I was sceptical but it worked brilliantly and so much quicker than sutures.
I left the skin incision open and just gave it a good coating of an antiseptic cream....I was worried that the Super Glue would not seal the crop and didn't want it seeping under the skin, so left it open in case it needed to drain..... it didn't.... but I didn't feel like leaving the wound open was a problem....chickens recover from some pretty desperate wounds from attacks and injuries without stitches, so I was confident my small clean incision would heal without being closed and it did.
Because she had respiratory problems as a result of aspirating, I didn't want to handle her too much, so I didn't dress the wound during the following days, just kept her living space clean and she healed miraculously.

She was on her feet and eating fermented feed as soon as she was released by my partner who had been holding her for me.
Like in the video, I got a soft ball sized clump of fibrous material (soggy straw) from a bantam pekin ..... it was nearly heavier than she was. Interestingly mine did not smell bad at all.... literally no smell, but I think fermented feed may have helped prevent sour crop developing.
She did not hold it against me for operating without anaesthetic and was just as friendly after surgery as she was before. I have also read of a bird being operated on by a vet quite recently and dying from the anaesthetic, so weigh up the risks carefully if you are able to obtain lidocaine.

Sadly my little hen went back to eating bedding and a few months later she developed the problem again. I left it too late before I opted to perform the surgery a second time and although the surgery was successful, she was too weak to recover.... I was heartbroken as she was such a sweet little chicken, but she clearly had a psychological problem that drove her to eat straw..... a bit like me eating chocolate, even though I know it's bad for me.

Anyway, I wish you luck with your girl and if I can be of any further assistance in respect of answering any queries you might have, please shout up.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it goes as well as mine did with Vippy. I'll post a link to my account of it and the photos of what I removed and her wound healing.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ns-xxx-graphic-necropsy-photos.823961/page-33

Post No 330 in that thread documents my surgery and post No 333 was the crop surgery video I found most helpful.

Please update this thread with how it goes.

Oh thank you so very much for all of the info. My husband and I decided we were going to do the surgery but he wanted me to give hard a few more days of water, yogurt, wet breath and crop massaging because he swears her crop is going down. I agreed to a few days more but no more than a week. I most definitely will update as things happen. Again thank you so very much.

I had one that took the best part of 2 weeks of liquid feeds and massage 4x a day and a couple of spells of attempted vomiting, to come right, so I would definitely give it a bit longer if you feel you are making progress. Interestingly, I was not particularly successful in getting her to regurgitate anything whilst trying to vomit her, but I'm pretty sure the act of tipping her upside down and massaging the crop in that inverted position for several quite extended spells (with short breaks in between.... I was getting desperate!), helped to unblock things in that lower part of the crop and get things moving. That said, don't let her get too run down before you make the decision to surgically remove because the weaker the bird is, the less chance it will be successful.
Do make sure to give a good poultry vitamin supplement during this time as it is really important to ensure that she is getting those micronutrients whilst proper food is not getting through her system.

I had one that took the best part of 2 weeks of liquid feeds and massage 4x a day and a couple of spells of attempted vomiting, to come right, so I would definitely give it a bit longer if you feel you are making progress. Interestingly, I was not particularly successful in getting her to regurgitate anything whilst trying to vomit her, but I'm pretty sure the act of tipping her upside down and massaging the crop in that inverted position for several quite extended spells (with short breaks in between.... I was getting desperate!), helped to unblock things in that lower part of the crop and get things moving. That said, don't let her get too run down before you make the decision to surgically remove because the weaker the bird is, the less chance it will be successful.
Do make sure to give a good poultry vitamin supplement during this time as it is really important to ensure that she is getting those micronutrients whilst proper food is not getting through her system.

I will be trying a few new things suggested with dulcolax and Epsom salt. If that don't work I will do the surgery. Thanks for the feedback I will update date in a few days.

20170724_160527.jpg
20170711_131858.jpg

I want to thank everyone for the all the feedback to my question. I truly appreciated it. My "Black bird" as my son with autism so lovingly named her passed yesterday. Never got to do the surgery as my only help at home was my husband and he backed out from helping me. He preferred I keep feeding and massaging. It didn't work. I opened her up after to see what had killed my little darling and found it was a piece of plastic bag about 2" long by maybe 3/4" wide. It wasn't letting anything pass. I'm truly sad especially since a stray cat got in my yard and killed my husbands favorite "The white bird" and a few weeks before that I'd lost "The brown bird" to same crop issue. These were my son's pets and he loved them so we will have to replace them but I will miss them. They were so friendly. Anyhow, thank you all for all your words of wisdom.

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry. How very sad to lose all your little flock in such a tragic manner. :hugsI saw the photos and really hoped that she had made it.... then I read the text:(.
Well done for opening her up to identify the problem after her death. I know it is not easy when they are pets but at least it helps you understand what went wrong and gives you a little more knowledge for the future.
Hopefully you have had all your "chickeneering" bad luck at one go and it will be more plain sailing with your next flock.

Best wishes

Barbara

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry. How very sad to lose all your little flock in such a tragic manner. :hugsI saw the photos and really hoped that she had made it.... then I read the text:(.
Well done for opening her up to identify the problem after her death. I know it is not easy when they are pets but at least it helps you understand what went wrong and gives you a little more knowledge for the future.
Hopefully you have had all your "chickeneering" bad luck at one go and it will be more plain sailing with your next flock.

Best wishes

Barbara
Thanks Barbara, yes my prayers are that my son's next little darlings are better off. My husband felt bad for not helping me do the surgery so he's been making up for it by fixing the area where the new additions will be. He's cleared out a section, no dry grass or any type of minutes garbage or big pebbles and things. It will be better. No more free roaming unless we are outside with them because of the stray cats but we will care for them with a little more experience.

Back
Top Bottom