Impacted Crop

CarolTer

Hatching
May 23, 2021
There are a number of posts on here about impacted crops. I had a chicken who had both sour crop and once I got rid of that with garlic in her water and apple cider vinegar, I found a large hard impaction, about the size of a softball and it felt like grass and twigs. Surgery is NOT an option. So I tried the mineral oil and massages for two days. That did NOTHING! Then I read about papaya and/or papaya enzyme extract. So I started feeding her nothing but papaya flesh and seeds for the first day. The hard ball had reduced the next morning and there was poop in her cage. The next day I fed her papaya and hard boil egg (I wanted her to have some protein). I even gave her a few meal worms. Here is it the third morning. The ball in her crop is now about half the size of a golf ball. I am not even massaging like I was doing with the mineral oil. She is perky and hungry. I will keep her inside and keep feeding her papaya and papaya enzymes until it is all gone which I suspect will be tomorrow morning.

I hope that helps folks who have an impact crop.
Carol.

There are a number of posts on here about impacted crops. I had a chicken who had both sour crop and once I got rid of that with garlic in her water and apple cider vinegar, I found a large hard impaction, about the size of a softball and it felt like grass and twigs. Surgery is NOT an option. So I tried the mineral oil and massages for two days. That did NOTHING! Then I read about papaya and/or papaya enzyme extract. So I started feeding her nothing but papaya flesh and seeds for the first day. The hard ball had reduced the next morning and there was poop in her cage. The next day I fed her papaya and hard boil egg (I wanted her to have some protein). I even gave her a few meal worms. Here is it the third morning. The ball in her crop is now about half the size of a golf ball. I am not even massaging like I was doing with the mineral oil. She is perky and hungry. I will keep her inside and keep feeding her papaya and papaya enzymes until it is all gone which I suspect will be tomorrow morning.

I hope that helps folks who have an impact crop.
Carol.
How did you get on with your impacted crop? I just recently had one. She ended up having to get cut open to get all the grass out. I was massaging for over a week. Now I’ve got another one impacted. I mowed the lawn yesterday and I suspect she’s got into too much clippings that the mower doesn’t pick up. Did she end up completely emptying on her own?

Back
Top Bottom