*IMPORTANT* - How to deal with an Aggressive Rooster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much! This post has been a breath or fresh air! I had posted this question and most the answers were to not befriend the rooster and to have him intimidated by you. I think it was excellent advise that I was given, I understand why that works but I was really hoping my rooster and I could at least sorta be friends.

Last edited:
Dear Yazzo and Everyone!
I did this last night - 9 Roos in all. I started with my "master roo" and then we (Dad, Husband & I) sat in a circle on the grass. Threw some grits there and proceeded to pick them all up as they milled around. It was a very peaceful Norman Rockwell type of scene. Will try it again tonight and see how the training took. Last night, after I did the preliminaries, everyone agreed to being picked up or petted, on the ground or in our laps at OUR will.
ya.gif
thumbsup.gif

I love this thread!
love.gif

I have a 10-week old roo now that I'm going to start training. Of my 12 chickens I have one, Lily, who is the head chicken and also a VERY lovey girl. She flies up and sits on me whenever she can and loves being petted and cuddled. All the others will wander around my ankles, but when the dreaded hand comes near them they sidle back just out of reach. I'll start with hand feeding. I've done it a little, but not consistently.
I have goats also and with my head goat I experienced a similar thing. When he had established himself as the lead goat, he tried to take me on as well. That struggle went on for months and I actually thought about having him put down. Thank God I didn't. He and I finally came to an understanding (which involved me changing my behavior) and we only have to have a "conversation" once every few months now - otherwise he is an absolute love and very affectionate. We just had to establish that I was no threat, but that I was in charge. Animals are so cool. We can learn so much from them when we just listen.
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
chickenprincess92:
big_smile.png
hugs.gif

3rocksandme:

No problem! I'm so glad you found it to be a good thread!
celebrate.gif

Hey, in my opinion, one of the best things about having a rooster is being able to pick him up and have him tame....I couldn't imagine just ignoring mine!
smile.png

ParadiseFoundFarm:

Whoohoo!
ya.gif
That's GREAT! I would have LOVED to have seen that.....keep up the good work!
woot.gif

maurerwerks:

Thank you!!
hugs.gif

So glad to hear that....and I totally agree with you too: if people just listen, they can learn a lot!
thumbsup.gif

Day 2

Charles was picked up gently twice while being given yummy treats. First time he was a bit aggressive but the second time there wasn't even a sound. He just looked at me to say 'Ok I get it." I set him down the second time about an hour ago.

Progress has been made.

Thanks again Yazzo for the plan!

YEEEEESSS!
big_smile.png

SO glad it's working for you!
celebrate.gif

Keep up the GREAT work!
big_smile.png

*goes off to do happy dance*
wee.gif

Great thread!
I pick my boys up all the time. I have five Silkie roos and a 9 wk old blue Orp. The most aggressive one is my almost ten month old Silkie who's been handled since day one. Several months ago, out of the blue, he started attacking my feet and legs every time he saw me. So, I'd pick him up and snuggle him for several minutes, feed treats, then put him down. He'd strut off with his "nobody saw that look" and proceed to go after me again the next time I went by him.
roll.png
So, I implemented a new strategy about a month ago...squirt bottle. I figured hey, it works on the dogs when they're acting up, why not? It sure won't hurt him. It took three squirts. In the last three weeks he's only gone after me one time. I pick him up when I see him thinking about it and feed treats and snuggle him, much to his macho, manly dismay. We now have an understanding... He doesn't attack me and I don't squirt him.
gig.gif

He certainly isn't afraid of me.

akpeeps:

So glad you like it!
big_smile.png

Also glad that you really know how to handle your roosters....thanks so much for the info too: sometimes there's a rooster that NEVER seems to learn, so a little squirt from a bottle is a good idea. I just had a rooster like that: he was SUCH a spaz that he would never learn! He was small enough that I actually thought it was hilarious and sometimes even encouraged him to chase me, just so I could catch him!
lol.png
It's good that your rooster isn't afraid of you after all that.....hopefully, that happens with most roosters (I haven't tried it much....so I'm not sure), and it'll just make them respect you.

Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks Yazzo.
You know, I tried swating him, kicking him away (not hard mind you), a whack with the broom, etc. Never with the intention of hurting him, just getting his attention. All that did was make it worse and gave him a reason to attack me to defend himself. I hate to admit it but on occasion I would tease him too.
I think he just tolerates me and considers me just an annoyance in his world.
lau.gif
He throws that stink eye at me on a regular basis.
Now I just have to hope my blue Orpington roo stays as sweet as he is now because he's going to be huge if he takes after his daddy, who's ten pounds and about two feet tall. At nine weeks old this boy already has a big set of drum sticks on him. Fortunately, he loves to be held in my lap and makes little contented peeps and trills until he falls asleep.
love.gif

I was holding my 5 week old rooster this morning as I went about my morning chores. He was uber unimpressed. I tried a treat and he turned his nose, I mean beak up at it. Perhaps I should treat and then holding?

These NHR do not seem to like being held or pet at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom