*IMPORTANT* - How to deal with an Aggressive Rooster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I betcha when you've had chickens as many years as me (since I'm pretty sure you're a kid from your intro) you'll have come across some that you'll send to the stew pot too.

You're right I don't know if you're a he or she, but since I have to call you something would you prefer I call you "it".

And yes, quite a few of your statements sound pretty "big-headed" for a youngin.
wink.png

Quote:
I betcha when you've had chickens as many years as me (since I'm pretty sure you're a kid from your intro) you'll have come across some that you'll send to the stew pot too.

You're right I don't know if you're a he or she, but since I have to call you something would you prefer I call you "it".

And yes, quite a few of your statements sound pretty "big-headed" for a youngin.
wink.png

Again, please stop assuming things about me. I am not a 'youngin'. Anyways, enough about me. How many years have you had chickens?

I'm pretty sure that I will NEVER send any chickens to the stew pot anymore. Even if I would come across an 'incurable' rooster, they can be dealt with without killing.

I am just sharing my experience and opinions.....as I said, I really don't want to sound big-headed. I'm trying my best to help people who have a problem with roosters.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:

wink.png

Again, please stop assuming things about me. I am not a 'youngin'. Anyways, enough about me. How many years have you had chickens?

I'm pretty sure that I will NEVER send any chickens to the stew pot anymore. Even if I would come across an 'incurable' rooster, they can be dealt with without killing.

I am just sharing my experience and opinions.....as I said, I really don't want to sound big-headed. I'm trying my best to help people who have a problem with roosters.
smile.png

This is from your new member intro and why I'm assuming you're pretty young.....and no, I don't want to know your exact age
Quote:
I'm old enough I can give my age....I'm 57 and have been around and raising chickens my entire life.....so 50+ years. I've learned to never say never about having to do anything either.

Last edited:
I used 'young' as a very open term. My whole family has been raising chickens for 50+ years. I don't think age is an issue AT ALL.

I will never kill a chicken. Ever. Period.

Anyways, back to discussion. This is a thread for people who don't want to resort to killing, so please, no more comments about that.
Anyone else with a question or concern about their rooster? I'll answer as best I can.
smile.png

Anyone who has tried these techniques long before I made this thread?
big_smile.png

I agree. Age is not an issue at all.
smile.png

Personally, I've never tried these techniques, since I don't even have a rooster yet lol. I plan on using them though, since they seem to make a lot on sense.
I don't have any questions yet, but will let you know if I have one once i get my new roo.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
So you aren't going to share how long you've been personally raising chickens? I was just wondering how many roosters you've used your technique on. I know you said more roosters than you can count, but surely you've got a ball park figure.

Katy: I have been raising chickens quite a while. I've encountered dozens of roosters. And please, ENOUGH about me....that's not what this thread is about. Please don't post on this thread anymore unless it's about the topic of how to deal with an aggressive rooster without killing him.
smile.png

AlbinoChicken: Thank you.
smile.png

Sounds good! Hope you have a lot of fun with your new rooster!
celebrate.gif

So: anyone else have any questions/stories about taming their rooster?
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I did ask how many you've used your technique on....doesn't that pertain to this thread? If it's two roosters I don't think I'll be trying it, if it's 20 or 30, then I might think about giving it a try.

I predict when you've got children and a rooster attacks your toddler you won't think twice about killing him....I know I didn't.

I already said: DOZENS. And it's not just me. There are people who have done this before.....it was even recommended, to my great surprise, in Backyard Poultry magazine! I've done it for years and years without really thinking about it, so to see it in a popular magazine was great.
smile.png

As I said before, I would never put a toddler in with a rooster unsupervised. If they would somehow get attacked though (not seriously), I still wouldn't kill the rooster: they tend to see little kids in a different light than bigger people, so he's just following his instinct. No need to take my anger out on him. I would help the toddler get over their fear, then advise them on how to deal with the rooster and NEVER let them go in with him alone or get hurt by him again. My little brother has gotten attacked by a rooster, in the past, but we didn't just kill the rooster right away. He never got seriously injured. He was small enough that the rooster saw him as a threat, and after that, he was more cautious around roosters until he learned to handle them. Now, he would never even dream of being afraid of even the meanest rooster!
lol.png

Anyways, END OF DISCUSSION. I hear your opinion and I totally respect it. Now back to topic.

Does anyone else have any comments or questions?
smile.png

Quote:
Just for the record, my toddler was not out unattended with the rooster. The child, who is 34 years old now, was playing in the yard while I was gardening and the rooster ran across the yard from the barn....probably 40 yards to attack him. The rooster did not get a second chance even tho he had never attacked or jumped on anyone before. Anyone who gives a rooster like that a secomd chance is foolish.

Good luck kiddo with your roosters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom