*IMPORTANT* - How to deal with an Aggressive Rooster

Status
Not open for further replies.
hear hear Yazzo!
clap.gif
We should all respect each others opinions. I'm just trying to find some good info on roosters, and i think yours is the best by far.
wee.gif
cant wait to try these techniques and get my new rooster. should be an interesting experience.
smile.png

Yazzo, no offense intended. I, too, am curious about how long you have had chickens on your own and your references. Your manner of posting is on the pompous side, which always makes me think twice or thrice about accepting such bald statements of success.

Your introductory statement does say you are young. You are right, age is not an issue. But SOLO experience is. I have raised chickens for 18 years, on my own. Some of my roosters were very nice and some not so nice. I have learned to deal with each on individually. Having had someone more experienced there would have meant I didn't have to accept the responsibility so heavily.

Though you have some decent advice, you do come across as big-headed. And you may ask that people who question you or your methods not post in your threads, your only real recourse is to report it to a moderator, who can review the thread and make the final decision.

Ah....I recognize you from the other thread.
wink.png

Well, personally, almost 20 years raising them. For my family, about 50. And it's not been solo at all. I don't think that's a big issue though. As I said, it's not just me. I have met other people who do this, advised people to do this, and my whole family does it, to great success. So I'm sorry if I sound big-headed: I'm just spreading the word on a technique that I and many other people that I know have found to work wonders. I think the word you may possibly be looking for is 'enthusiastic'. Maybe some of my posts have been a little too enthusiastic.
lol.png
There are plenty of other people on this forum who use this technique, also usually to great success.
smile.png
There are many, many things I don't know anything about, but this is not one of them.....so all I would like to do it spread some advice and knowledge, and hope others benefit from it. chicknerd, 3rocksandme, and a few others already have.
smile.png

Maybe I should make a video sometime to demonstrate?
hmm.png

People are sure free to question my methods, but this thread is mostly for educational purposes, and Katy was asking me some personal questions. I respect her opinion, and yours, and tried to answer her questions as best I could.

Anyways, thanks for your opinion.
smile.png

Last edited:
rooster red has a BYC page on some of these same techniques. In the end, they may work on a rooster whose heart is not really into his aggression, who is basically not that aggressive in the first place. I agree that you should never hit or kick the animal; he only thinks you are fighting him and will fight back. And he'll just learn to avoid your feet and wait for his chance to get you when your back is turned. Some of them can simply never be fixed.

That said, I do these "techniques" as a first effort when I have a human-aggressive rooster. So far, none of the techinques have worked, not once. Those roosters were rehomed to someone who was well aware of their issues and in one case, I culled the rooster when all efforts failed. I had found a home for him, but his aggression escalated and since he was a rare breed destined to be a sire of an endangered breed flock, I wouldn't allow his bad temper to be passed on. The aggressive ones are the ones who are not all that intelligent, IMO. The intelligent ones know who brings the food, water and treats and act accordingly. Those are the ones I keep.

There is no tried and true method for "fixing" a rooster. I personally don't care if you want to run a rooster sanctuary, but I can't feed that many ill-tempered, non-productive birds, so yep, I'll euthanize them if I feel they cannot safely be rehomed or I just can't find homes for them. I won't breed a human aggressive rooster because temperament is heritable to some degree. No need to propagate stupid, aggressive birds. He is what he is and handling only makes the inherent temperament show itself sooner.

Quote:
Right, Poultry is a domesticated animal. It has been bred through the centuries to depend on mankind, and certain traits are also culled by [by man (us)] If it is not accepted by us , we take the bad out of the pool. So you taking that mean rooster out was a GREAT move. I feel so sympathy for a mean rooster . Ive run into you alot today here cynthia ! Lol

I'm not saying you shouldn't try these things first before throwing in the towel, certainly. I do. They just can't overcome the inherent nature of the bird if he is inclined to be human-aggressive. If you manage to catch one very young before the hormones kick in, then you may have more success than when he is already mature. Before that time, he may just be testing boundaries. After that, it's hard to change him from what is in his genes.

ETA: just saying that if it works on your rooster, great. If it doesn't, don't blame yourself. Where some see negativity, other see reality.

Quote:
I don't call trying to get a straight answer on how much personal experience or how many roosters you've tried your method on asking personal questions. You said yourself in your intro that you are young.

A personal question would be how old are you, your address, your real name or your phone number.

Amen, Katy, a rehabilitated human aggressive rooster will most likely beget more of the same. Is it worth having one child lose an eye because of such a rooster? It is a hereditary trait. Gamecocks are the least human aggressive of any roosters because that trait has been selected against.

I wouldn't assume to know everything about anything, but it seems as if you're being a bit hard on Yazzo. He/she doesn't seem pompous or full of themselves at all. They seem genuinely encouraging.

Now, here are my two bits: I have been raising chickens for almost 70 years now, and I have had well over 100 roosters. When I was a lad, I'm ashamed to admit that I was rather scared of them. But then I started thinking about "WHY do they do what they do? Is there a reason that they attack?" I started to spend more and more time with them, almost as much as I spend with my dear dogs. I started to learn their ways, to see through their eyes. Now, over 60 years later, I have had well over 100 roosters, seen even more, and I have not been afraid of them since. Sure, there is that one bugger who'll attack you when you're not looking, but mostly, even them I have been able to handle without chicken dumplings being involved. Yazzo's techniques here are almost exactly what I have been doing for years, and I can tell you that yes, they work, and yes, you needn't resort to the killing of a rooster who can be dealt with in other ways. But Yazzo, don't be getting that head too big now!
wink.png
It doesn't seem big yet, but that could change.

It does depend greatly on the person too. Those who haven't had success with it, are simply, in my humble opinion, doing something wrong. Listen to your chickens.

I'm surprised to find such a topic on here: I would have thought I was obvious. Of course, I have butchered the odd rooster in my day, and will kill the one that has a tendency to be mean before the naturally less testosterone-ridden ones, and most of the people I know do the same, but not out of fear, just for food, at least for me. Listen to this what Yazzo said, in their first post, but more importantly, listen to your chickens. Animals will tell you all you need to know if you just let them.
smile.png

But then, what does an old geezer like me know? Maybe all the chickens I've ever owned have all been loony in the head.
lol.png

Last edited:
This was a great thread until the negativity came in.

Thank you Yazzo for posting something that you have found to be successful. I have bookmarked it and I am appreciative of your enthusiasm & willingness to share your experiences. I could give a rats ass about your credentials and how many years you have clinical trials on this. 20 years is worthy experience in my book.
smile.png

For those that are being less than polite, if it doesn't work for you, then do what works for you.

Take what you like from her suggestions and leave the rest. Or take nothing at all.
Simple.

Thanks again Yazzo, I'm sure many people and roosters could benefit from this or I'm sure many will give it a try or at least find it an interesting perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom