*IMPORTANT* - How to deal with an Aggressive Rooster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why all of a sudden there has been such a slew of negative comments from a few people, especially after I said people who say the only 'cure' for a 'bad' rooster is the freezer. Anyways, I shall ignore the negative comments, and instead focus on the positive.

BlackHawk37:
Thank you so, so much. I bow down to your wisdom, and I'm sure there is TONS I could learn from you!
hugs.gif

LauraG:
Thanks for your support and encouragement Laura!
hugs.gif
I don't know why there have suddenly been these negative comments, but they have been quite discouraging.
sad.png

Thanks for your comment. If anyone else has something to say about me, personally, or about 'putting a rooster in the stew pot', please refrain from saying it here. This thread is for educational purposes only, not for bashing me or my methods. I respect your opinions, but I've heard them, and now it's time to get back to topic. Again, as I said, this is for people who don't want to resort to killing.

OK, so back to topic again.
smile.png

Last edited:
I think both sides have some great points. i love roosters but have 3 little kids and i'm sorry, i am not willing to work with a rooster that literallly bloodied my little boy. its just not worth it. i also did not put him in the stew pot but found him an appropriate home without children. Roosters can be great but the bottom line is they can also be very dangerous for little kids.

idunno.gif
.I put a roo down a couple month's ago.No one would take him.But When they get that agressive trying to put out a 2 year old child's eye's...I would rather he be in the Earth than wind up in some ring fighting to the death and I wouldn't even give him to a few of the people that came to see him.
fl.gif

I'm glad I came across this! I have a black australorp rooster that is 15 weeks old. He is a real sweetie, always has been, but he's young. I have an eight year old who sees our 9 chicken flock as his own personal pets. We do pick him up and hold and pet him several times a week, and all of them get treats, from our hands and just thrown on the ground in their run, while we sit on buckets next to them while they eat their treats. Maybe our roo will turn out to be a keeper after all! He is always the first one to us whenever we go out there, and he doesn't mind at all when we pick up and pet any of the hens, he notices but I haven't seen any reaction from him about it, he just keeps on scratching and eating. A few of our hens are going through that moody stage still, but most of them have passed it up and are super sweet now. The orpington and australorps are the nicest of the bunch! Thanks for the info!
wee.gif

One question, we haven't "petted" their wattles or combs, do they like that? I just thought it might be sensitive, like a dog or cat with their tails?

Quote:
I have to agree. It's irresponsible of anyone to suggest that a rooster that's been trained wrong from the beginning and has bad habits can always be retrained. That's especially true when he is a single rooster that the owner has to be close to every day. People's eyes are too important to gamble with and children are too precious.

zoo2u: Glad to hear you found a good home for him.
smile.png

dieselgrl48: Not good at all that he was trying that with a 2-year-old. I would have taken him though.
lol.png

kla37: Glad you enjoy the thread, and I wish you the best of luck! Australorps are one of the nicest breeds ever.
smile.png

Actually, 'petting' or rubbing their wattles and combs should help to make them more tame and 'humble'. I do it all the time. Even if they were sensitive, that is no excuse to hurt you. I just had a rooster who had sensitive feathers, since they were just growing in. He's a barred rock.....known to be one of the meaner breeds, and he was a bit harder to work with, although he was still manageable. One time, I touched his sensitive feather tips, and he made distressed noises and pecked me. Just like with a dog, that's something I will NOT stand for. When he did that, I grabbed the front of his comb, using a bit of pressure, and pushed his head down until he submitted. Then, I would pet him. I continued to touch his feather tips, and correct him, until he learned. As you can see, with that they are VERY much like dogs. Of course, I only touched the feather tips lightly, and never during the process really hurt him - that would not only be inhumane, but very counterproductive.
smile.png

As for if they LIKE having their combs and wattles rubbed/petted.....most do, although they may have to get used to it.

Last edited:
It's only since I moved to Thailand eight years ago that I started having anything to do with chicken, and so far, I have never come across a mean rooster, or at least I've never come across one which shows any signs of aggression towards humans, including kids, toddlers, and infants. 90% of the roosters over here are exceptionally large fighting cocks, and yet they all seem to have pleasant temperaments. I just can't see how anyone could fear a bird
lol.png
Sure, I certainly would take a chance with an ostrich, but a chicken. I have two young daughters aged 3 and 5, and I can tell you, they don't have even the slightest bit of fear as far as chickens are concerned. Again, maybe it's just that aggression towards humans has been bred out of the fighting cocks over here. BTW...from what I can gather, most of the roosters here are Shamos, and they're great. Very friendly birds, and always the first ones to come up close. They also never seem to treat the hens badly..............real gentlemen if you ask me.

PS: Yazzo, it's obvious that several members on here appreciate your posts, so please, don't be put off by those who don't. I know one thing......if I forked out two or three hundred dollars for a prize game cock, and he ended up misbehaving, I certainly would want to try your techniques. I just know a $300 chicken is not going to taste very pleasant
lol.png

Anyway, I'm off to collect my eggs
lol.png

Sorry forgot to mention, my five year old girl has forbidden me to ever kill our rooster. He's her favorite chicken but she still can't understand why he always wants to climb on top of the hens
lau.gif

Tropical Chook:

Thank you very much for your nice comment, which I could not agree more with!
smile.png

You're right: why be afraid of something that tiny???? It just doesn't make sense to me. Of course, little kids have a real reason to be afraid: they CAN get badly hurt, but if they're like your kids, then no problem! Just show them how to deal with the rooster, and make sure they're not afraid of chickens (wouldn't recommend doing that with a toddler who is too small to deal with them, of course).
That is really neat, that you haven't encountered ONE mean rooster! I hope it stays that way too. It's interesting how the fighting cocks seem to have the best temperament.
You are SO LUCKY living in Thailand!!
th.gif

Thanks for the kind words.
hugs.gif

P.S. Your 5-year-old is the BEST!
lol.png
Give her a hug from me.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Yazzo it is not that the immediate solution is the stew pot it is simply there are too many good roos out there to mess around with a knothead. Running at you, charging, challenging etc can be corrected but once a rooster flogs/attacks/breaks skin, it is stew pot time. Why be afraid? A rooster could easily blind a child or an adult, they can cause serious wounds, they can cause the person being attacked to fall and cause greater injury and they can cause a lethal staph infection with a wound. There are some reasons to worry about something so "tiny".

While you are referring to all those that say "stew pot" search for how many people have been flogged and had serious infections as a result. Search for the roosters that holding, humiliating, water gun and etc do not work on and they end up hurting someone.

I had one of those knotheads but it only went after my daughter....she gave him a lavender bubble bath and that stopped his nonsense. On the other hand there are many more posts and thread about excellent roosters...so why not have one?

So, have some tolerance for those of us who have or have had the great ones and have no tolerance for a butthead of a rooster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom