*IMPORTANT* - How to deal with an Aggressive Rooster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Why did you LET him try to attack you? bad wording LOL
Yeah dont run....you let him win that battle. I dont feed mine treats separately...they get theirs WITH the girls, my girls are the only ones who I let eat out of my hands. My Roos need to know I am the lead rooster, who in real life wouldnt let the other roos eat out of his beak nor would he find food for them. just My opinion...be more confident and bigger than he is.

Quote:
People put human traits onto their animals all the time on BYC.

I don't agree that there is a way for the "right person" to make every mean rooster out there a tame bird. There is a way to handle them correctly and most often that needs to be putting them in the stew pot. Often times it seems to be the overly tame, hand raised rooster that ends up being the meanest.

I have always dealt with aggressive roosters with an axe all except the last one I tried my best with him as I paid dear for the hatching eggs he came from. It was like Satan on Wheels!! Had to keep him and his hens penned away from the grandkids for fear of him attacking them. Last straw was him catching DH off guard when he went to gather eggs, 2 shots in DH hips and 10 days of antibiotics later, we sent said rooster to the coop in the sky with a huge smile and relief on both our faces. Never again will I try, first attack means stew pot at my house. I have yet to see a rooster change his ways when he turns mean.

Quote:

I don't agree that there is a way for the "right person" to make every mean rooster out there a tame bird. There is a way to handle them correctly and most often that needs to be putting them in the stew pot. Often times it seems to be the overly tame, hand raised rooster that ends up being the meanest.

There is a way to handle them correctly and most often that needs to be putting them in the stew pot Sorry you feel that way Katy.....I do agree that it does seem like the overly tame hand raised roosters usually end up the meanest....I think its because people let them dominate them...hence where I think there IS a right way to handle them...there must be a level of respect they must show you and you must establish off the bat. That doesnt mean you cant handle your birds and be able to pick them up, they must know you are the flock leader and you must be able to easily catch your rooster for doctoring and such. And I never said there is a "right person to make every mean rooster out there a tame bird" those arent my words...I said exactly ANY animal can be handled correctly in one way or another by the right person who is willing to find a way
If I'm going to be quoted... please quote me correctly so no one is misunderstanding this conversation and what has been said and I do say that respectfully:). So far I can look back at my comments and each one on here and when peoples opinions differ its because things are taken out of context and misquoted, its very hard to have a conversation in "type" when peoples opinions differ, and you can only read text.

Quote:

There is a way to handle them correctly and most often that needs to be putting them in the stew pot Sorry you feel that way Katy.....I do agree that it does seem like the overly tame hand raised roosters usually end up the meanest....I think its because people let them dominate them...hence where I think there IS a right way to handle them...there must be a level of respect they must show you and you must establish off the bat. That doesnt mean you cant handle your birds and be able to pick them up, they must know you are the flock leader and you must be able to easily catch your rooster for doctoring and such. And I never said there is a "right person to make every mean rooster out there a tame bird" those arent my words...I said exactly ANY animal can be handled correctly in one way or another by the right person who is willing to find a way
If I'm going to be quoted... please quote me correctly so no one is misunderstanding this conversation and what has been said and I do say that respectfully:). So far I can look back at my comments and each one on here and when peoples opinions differ its because things are taken out of context and misquoted, its very hard to have a conversation in "type" when peoples opinions differ, and you can only read text.

ANY animal can be handled correctly in one way or another by the right person who is willing to find a way If that doesn't say there isn't a rooster that can't be tamed by the right I don't know what does.

Here is a quote from a post of yours asking for help in July. Once again a very new person to poultry giving advice on an issue they obviously have no first hand knowledge of. This is why I think it's important when those of us who do have the hands on experience see misinformation being posted we need to speak up about it and not be scared we're going to make someone else mad.

Oh...and BTW I copied and pasted your post to get it word for word:

Quote:

I think that - personally - no one is going to change anyones mind about how they feel on the subject. Both parties are very passionate. I stated earlier that I raise birds for the dinner table....so we butcher *gasp*....and I've been attacked on here from those who humanize chickens and it makes me sick. They are NOT humans....we ARE top of the food chain. God gave them to us for that reason. But I do have my permanent flock that I adore and cant imagine putting under the ax either.....but I never say never. I like to look at all sides of the argument, learn from everyones stories and see what went wrong OR right. I know what has worked for me...and I see Yazzo's theorys in what I DO.....and it has worked for me. SO FAR....who is to say when I go back out this afternoon to get eggs again that my roos wont flog the crap out of me suddenly.....who is to say my 5 yr old lab wont bite me for no reason....who is to say that my 2700 lb Marchigiana bull wont turn me into a mud puddle when he has always been a kitten? nothing. They are all animals...animals can attack for no reason that we can be sure of sometimes. Which is why you always watch your back, keep your eyes open, and never let your guard down...never fully trust anything. Anyone with common sense should know that - and if they dont they should take that bit of advice. Ignorance is not bliss.
Good animal husbandry is the knowledge of your animals and the awareness of not just his needs, but his surroundings, behavior, and your own actions and how you handle your animals. Not just in how you doctor them. To name a few. Its not all lovey dovey when it comes to pets....there is respect and tough love and establishing your boundaries....safety above all. If thats been compromised or cannot be established for whatever reason...then you dont need that animal...rooster or whatever it be.
Young children and chickens...bad idea unsupervised...period. They peck at shiny moving objects.....and kids just dont pay enough attention to whats going on around them. I said before it wasnt stressed enough on here.....that should have been in BOLD BOLD BOLD.

I think that - IMO - it will save a lot of people injury to tell them what WENT wrong rather than just say "put them in the pot". Someone may already have a rooster they WANT to keep for whatever reason.....so tell your story please.....and maybe how you think it went wrong if you want to get your point across "this is why I didnt keep my rooster...."its a learning curve for everyone that cares to read this thread or to try something new. It doesnt mean you have to agree. If you dont...why bother posting and wasting your time? Me? I'm not gonna try to state my opinions any more, I already have, I'm going now and carry my hens around on my hip....anyone care to mention how there can be hens meaner than a rooster????? hmmmm nope no one bothered to mention that did they? Luckily I dont have any but I sure do know people who do!!!!

I respect everyone who commented here on both sides of the fence....EXCEPT I didnt however care for or respect the angry tone it got into...I do wish I wouldnt see that....it really ruins threads for those of us who want to learn something and to have to weed through all that crap. And for us to make a comment and then get blasted for something we say because someone doesnt agree. I think opinions can be said MUCH nicer than what I read in forums. ALL of you are just too knowledgeable to loose that advice in a few words such as "throw him in the pot". Your bad rooster story can save someone from a bad rooster story....if you sit and look at it, everyone is saying the same darn thing just in different words and dont even realize it!

Quote:

ANY animal can be handled correctly in one way or another by the right person who is willing to find a way If that doesn't say there isn't a rooster that can't be tamed by the right I don't know what does.

Here is a quote from a post of yours asking for help in July. Once again a very new person to poultry giving advice on an issue they obviously have no first hand knowledge of. This is why I think it's important when those of us who do have the hands on experience see misinformation being posted we need to speak up about it and not be scared we're going to make someone else mad.

Quote:

Yep.....and so far my roosters have never attacked me either.....they all treat me with respect and I do them. I'm dont boast to have 20 or 30 years experience with chickens.....I do have years of experience with animals.....I dont agree with giving up on any animal...read my next comment I just posted.

Quote:

Quote:

Yep.....and so far my roosters have never attacked me either.....they all treat me with respect and I do them. I'm dont boast to have 20 or 30 years experience with chickens.....I do have years of experience with animals.....I dont agree with giving up on any animal...read my next comment I just posted.

OH and if you read, I've agreed with A LOT of what you have said....much of what I've learned since this first posting about roosters Ive learned here and from friends who have birds that I've spent time with...friends with years of experience just like you do.

I don't think you've been attacked...disagreed with yes. I am about the last person who would ever put a human trait onto an animal.....and it always boggles my mind how many people do.

My issue with you giving advice is the fact you've only had a rooster since the spring and it sounds like basically no chicken experience before that. Some of us who disagree with Yazzo have hatched and raised and dealt with hundreds if not thousands of chickens in our lifetime. Some things sound good in theory but fall flat when put into practice.

Quote:
The thing I disagree with in that statement is the fact that sometimes nothing went wrong. The rooster just matured and his hormones kicked in and his adult personality came out.

Quote:
And sometimes "all that crap" is full of misinformation that needs to be corrected.

Quote:

Quote:

If you read that posting you also read that he was learning to be a Roo - my Leghorn....I did what Yazzo suggested here....and I have had no trouble from him or anyone else. I thought at first he would have to go from what everyone was telling me about Leghorns. And he was beating up my little roo as well. I considered selling him when I sold the Leghorn pullets I had....but I really really wanted to keep him and I worked with him...and it paid off. I have a lovely rooster that I'm very glad I kept and Im glad I stopped reading stories by people who were just scared of Roosters, and instead read about how to handle a rooster and learned their behavior...He isnt loveable...dont care for him to be, but if I need to catch him...by golly he will let me, even flighty Leghorns can be taught respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom