IN NEED OF ADVICE ON LEG CORRECTION.

Lazy Farmer

Gallus gallus domesticus
7 Years
Feb 28, 2017
Florida Peninsula
My Coop
My Coop
Have a new born Moulted Java chick 20 hours old.
Not exactly sure of the cause, if it is deformation or injury from the hatch.
View media item 7892946The poor little guy is spunky and full of life but can't stand on one leg.
Doesn't seem to be any other problems physically.
Also the foot doesn't appear to be deformed.
I believe the problem within question is located at the base of the leg perhaps in the socket at the feather line.

Question: who has successfully corrected a problem such as this and what are the odds of even being successful?
It's not fair to let the chick stay like this and inhumane.
Do not wish to put it to sleep if a positive solution exists.

Thank you in advance..

IMG_3711.jpg Take a bandaid and put it on the legs ~view image~ and leave it on for a day or two and check on how the chick is walking if the legs aren't corrected completely but it back on for a couple more days.
The chick will walk funny and stumble around at first.

Looks like splay leg.
Get some vitamins and make a leg brace:
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
I used sports tape left over from my Daughter's soccer days. Its not going to leave residue or be hard to remove. Poor chick was screaming bloody murder for 5 mins! Gave it a better traction surface as suggested by the site.
All I have for the moment is a Vitamin and Electrolytes mixture with is loaded with vitamin B which is recommended. I have to go into town today for feed anyway so I will pick up a Vitamin B supplement as suggested as well.
The little dude has calmed down a bit although I know we are not out of the woods yet.

How often does the tape splint need to be changed?

I realize he will grow at a rapid rate and the splint will need adjusting. It appears to be a long road ahead.
Not sure of the success rate is as well.

You have been very helpful and I thank you! The link is now book marked and BYC has proved again as an asset.
Standing by with crossed fingers and much gratitude.
:fl

View attachment 1051470 Take a bandaid and put it on the legs ~view image~ and leave it on for a day or two and check on how the chick is walking if the legs aren't corrected completely but it back on for a couple more days.
The chick will walk funny and stumble around at first.
I was replying to the previous post while you replied. Thank you for the time frame estimation!:)

Good luck! :fl
Actually we have had lady luck as a visitor and house guest....The chickie is full of energy, overflowing with vitamin b and etc.
NOW ONLY tether her legs together if we witness the splayed disposition. Full of life and energy. As long as we continue to not be addicted to television and our smart phones and continue dedicated intervention, I think the outer edge of the woods is closer than we thought. We are now registered nurses and devoted to prevent having to terminating the poor little dudes life.
Thanks for the good fortune wish... Appreciate your thoughts and concerns, take care now! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom