In the Mail! Home Tomorrow!

Jan 7, 2024
Island of Hawaii
My Coop
My Coop
Hey all!
I am so excited to announce and prep for our babies that are going to be here tomorrow (Tuesday Feb 20) afternoon!
Three golden Sebright, two silver Sebright, and two lady Australorp chicks from a hatchery on Oahu, being direct shipped to Hilo.
I have a medium dog crate with a trash bag liner, covered with 1 inch of pine bedding, a quart gravity waterer with Flock Pro Chick Boost (quarter), and chick starter feed in a dish. My partner is picking up a plate brooder from Tractor Supply that we are going to have at the opposite end from the food and juice.

Question is, am I forgetting anything critical? I am so excited and afraid that I have overlooked something!

Hey all!
I am so excited to announce and prep for our babies that are going to be here tomorrow (Tuesday Feb 20) afternoon!
Three golden Sebright, two silver Sebright, and two lady Australorp chicks from a hatchery on Oahu, being direct shipped to Hilo.
I have a medium dog crate with a trash bag liner, covered with 1 inch of pine bedding, a quart gravity waterer with Flock Pro Chick Boost (quarter), and chick starter feed in a dish. My partner is picking up a plate brooder from Tractor Supply that we are going to have at the opposite end from the food and juice.

Question is, am I forgetting anything critical? I am so excited and afraid that I have overlooked something!
Sounds like you have all the basics in place! Do you have a thermometer to help measure the temp? Congrats on the new chickies!

:jumpy

I do not yet, so that would be a thing on the list. Its steady 68 to 82 F here, so a maybe less of a worry, but should probably get one just in case! I thought of it when I was at the store, but then promptly forgot when I ordered other projects things! Thank you!

Agree that the spacing on a dog crate is too large to keep chicks in for about the first 10 days. Put them in the largest cardboard box or plastic tote to start if that's all you have available.
If you are brooding in the house, skip the pine shavings. The dust will kill you. I slit feed bags and use those on the floor to start. Roll them up and toss.

Is the dog crate wire? sometimes bars can be too far apart and littles can get out or injured getting stuck. Might want to line walls up with cardboard about 8" or so to help with this and bedding getting pushed out also. Sounds like you are ready and waiting with anticipation GOOD LUCK. :)
The crate is a mesh that zips into place over a metal tube frame, so no worries about little escapees through it! As for where they will brood- I have a large covered lanai (porch) that they will be out of the sun and rain on.

THEY ARE HERE! And even more adorable than I thought possible
Chimkin1.JPG
Chimkin2.JPG
Chimkin3.JPG

Back
Top Bottom