Inbreeding concerns

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
i just hatched a few goslings, and I'm debating on whether to keep a pair, one of my major concerns is inbreeding. From my understanding the original F1(?) pair were hatched from the same batch of eggs from a very small pair or trio of geese, so they are likely to be siblings.

The gosling that I just hatched are from F1 male x F1 and/or F2(F1s' daughter) female. Ideally I would like a female and male or female and female pair, my only concern is inbreeding in the next generation. I've had some pretty traumatizing experience with inbred celadon coturnix quails and don't want to repeat such experiences again.

If inbreeding is an issue, my plan is to keep one goose and find a pair for it from another stock. Unfortunately geese breeding season seems to be largely over by the time I figure out the gender.

That's actually a good place to start by keeping one or two birds. But also researching online of who has what and making sure they aren't to closely related. Background history of the sellers birds becomes relevant.

That's actually a good place to start by keeping one or two birds. But also researching online of who has what and making sure they aren't to closely related. Background history of the sellers birds becomes relevant.
Birds came from a friend, who got them from another friend who hatched them from some eggs.

the original eggs seem to have come from an ill intentioned local seller who touted the Chinese goose as some rare breed and sold them to him for $50/ egg :eek:

My friend’s mom grumbled when I passed the goslings on for $10 each. “They could have sold for $100” she said 😂

Birds came from a friend, who got them from another friend who hatched them from some eggs.

the original eggs seem to have come from an ill intentioned local seller who touted the Chinese goose as some rare breed and sold them to him for $50/ egg :eek:

My friend’s mom grumbled when I passed the goslings on for $10 each. “They could have sold for $100” she said 😂
Well someone got conned, lol. Good thing you know better.

I have a similar situation, I wont let my pair of pilgrim geese hatch out any goslings because I think they are siblings, and I think that their parents might also be siblings, but I cant find the seller I got them from, he disappeared... I had bought 3 goslings from him, supposed to have been 1 male and 2 females, (pilgrims ganders start yellow and turn white, the females start grayish and stay gray) but one of the gray geese that should have been female turned out to be a gander... I had to rehome that one. I think my seller messed up his breeding . :( every breeding season when my goose tries to go broody I feel so sad for her.

I have a similar situation, I wont let my pair of pilgrim geese hatch out any goslings because I think they are siblings, and I think that their parents might also be siblings, but I cant find the seller I got them from, he disappeared... I had bought 3 goslings from him, supposed to have been 1 male and 2 females, (pilgrims ganders start yellow and turn white, the females start grayish and stay gray) but one of the gray geese that should have been female turned out to be a gander... I had to rehome that one. I think my seller messed up his breeding . :( every breeding season when my goose tries to go broody I feel so sad for her.
oh no! maybe you can give her some duck eggs?

Back
Top Bottom