Take Eggs or Leave Them?

Jan 28, 2020
We have two Sebastopol geese, not a year old yet. They hatched in the springtime. I don't know if this time of year is typically mating season, but they have decided it is at any rate lol.

We have a male and a female and the female laid her first egg 10 days ago. She laid it in the middle of their fencing, and left it there. We took the egg inside. However, this morning the gander was very protective over their pool, and he has been protective around their enclosure with my husband. The goose was inside the enclosure and looked like she was making a little nest this morning, so I looked and found two more eggs (there may be more, it's hard to access that part of their enclosure).

We do not want goslings right now, so I removed the two eggs that I found. Will she stop laying soon if they keep getting removed? Or do I need to put them back and wait til she's got her little bunch of eggs to remove them, and hope she doesn't go broody? She is not currently sitting on them, so far as I can tell.

We've had geese for a while, but never a mated pair, so this is all new to us. Thanks in advance!

I don't want her to keep laying, though lol. If I leave them, will she stop? If I take them, she won't stop?

I thought geese weren't like chickens and didn't lay consistently throughout the year, is that right?
You don't want her laying? Why?
It's ovulation, you can't really stop it.
She has little control of her laying, taking the eggs won't mean anything to her. It won't make her stop laying or keep laying.

You don't want her laying? Why?
It's ovulation, you can't really stop it.
She has little control of her laying, taking the eggs won't mean anything to her. It won't make her stop laying or keep laying.

Okay, got it! :) I thought they only laid a couple times a year for a little while, so I just wanted to be sure that me taking the eggs wouldn't prolong the span she lays. I don't want to put her body into unnecessary overdrive to keep laying, but also don't want accidental goslings.

Okay, got it! :) I thought they only laid a couple times a year for a little while, so I just wanted to be sure that me taking the eggs wouldn't prolong the span she lays. I don't want to put her body into unnecessary overdrive to keep laying, but also don't want accidental goslings.
She's not going to keep laying until she has babies, if that's what you think.
Don't worry.

I don't want her to keep laying, though lol. If I leave them, will she stop? If I take them, she won't stop?

I thought geese weren't like chickens and didn't lay consistently throughout the year, is that right?
If you take them she will not stop. She has a job to do, Thats making eggs. You have 2 choices let her go broody which will change her hormones from producer to brooder. Or enjoy the eggs they are one of the most nutritious tasty egg you will ever eat. If you want babies who knows they might give them to you. If you dont and just want her to stop laying she wouldn't till you change her hormones and let her go broody. But come mid May she should stop laying on her own. Just make sure she has all the calcium she needs while she is laying free choice oyster shell usually works well.

Back
Top Bottom