Inconsistency in Temp/Humidity during a hatch

LakeLifeGardening

In the Brooder
May 3, 2023
Virginia
So I have a question about this as well. I bought a farm innovations pro incubator (previously have had success with my nurture right 360) I hate this new thing. First off my hygrometer reads about 9.5-10 degrees colder than the built in temperature reader. The humidity is way off too. I had 21 eggs in and 7 have hatched with 2 of them needing assistance because they got glued to their membranes.

My question is I have 14 eggs that haven’t pipped at all, I don’t necessarily see movement in them anymore, however I don’t see the red ring of death either in all but 2 of them. I never open my incubator until I have to, so what are the odds that I can move the unpipped eggs to my 360 incubator with a more stable temp/humidity level and hatch anyone else out? Or is the damage already done and they are just shriveled up and done? Should I mist the eggs? The humidity didn’t drop drastically until about 24-36hrs ago, but I have had a hard time keeping it constant ever since I added my fertilized eggs. This thing will be going back as soon as my ‘nursery chicks’ are healthy enough to go in with the 5 that didn’t have any issues.

Best part is I let this thing run for about 3 days before even adding chicks to make sure it was all operating correctly and temps/humidity were relatively the same. Lesson learned. Trust my hygrometer. 🥺

Sorry to hear your bad experience, but a hygrometer reads humidity not temp. What day of incubation are your eggs on?
My hygrometer measures both temp and humidity, just didn't feel like typing all of that out. They are the Govee ones. I have like 7 of them all over my greenhouses and in both of the incubators. The eggs are technically on day 22 today. I moved them into my nurture right 360 last night and one of my silkie eggs has actually pipped, to my surprise. I didn't have high hopes, so anything I get at this point I am just counting as bonuses, lol. I just feel bad for them, I don't like to see anything suffer and that's why I asked the question about being able to move them over or if it was pointless.

A little late on the help but hopefully a few more will hatch. I have not used a Govee but have heard very good info on them. I always use a separate calibrated thermometer and never trust the built in. I have used that incubator, and it does have hot and cold spots.

incs are pretty simple - heating element, thermostat, air circulation .. the wildcards are how insulated they are and how they exchange outside air ... once u establish a procedure that will keep it pretty stable where you want it, a gauge to monitor things is basically to make sure something isnt failing .. in other words, you shouldnt have to really even look at it or be adjusting things after eggs are set .. i know right where water level should be and what temp the unit should be reporting .. i'll glance at my internal gauge twice a day to verify temp and that something isnt failing .. but every new incubator will have its quirks, mine i aerate 2-3 times a day by fanning the lid a couple times .. it stays pretty rock solid with my secondary gauge in an egg pocket reading 98.5-99.5 ... humidity the unit reports at about 65 if the water level is correct to keep it stable, i try not to let it run low .. internally humidity is running even higher in spots, dont care .. its the temp stability im looking for .. let it run dryer temps will spike, then if something stupid is done like adjusting temp, then water is added, now the eggs can chill from the bottom .. but yeah .. all this needs to be worked out on a new bator .. dropping eggs in and going for it 'adjusring on the fly' will be hit or miss on what results will be ..

A little late on the help but hopefully a few more will hatch. I have not used a Govee but have heard very good info on them. I always use a separate calibrated thermometer and never trust the built in. I have used that incubator, and it does have hot and cold spots.
I actually don't have many complaints about my 360, it's not perfect, but has worked really well for me so far. I think this stupid farm innovations one that I tried to use this time is just terrible. I had water all over the place leaking and once the eggs went in it never remained consistent with temperature or humidity. I just need to save up for a brinsea or however you spell that one, lol.

incs are pretty simple - heating element, thermostat, air circulation .. the wildcards are how insulated they are and how they exchange outside air ... once u establish a procedure that will keep it pretty stable where you want it, a gauge to monitor things is basically to make sure something isnt failing .. in other words, you shouldnt have to really even look at it or be adjusting things after eggs are set .. i know right where water level should be and what temp the unit should be reporting .. i'll glance at my internal gauge twice a day to verify temp and that something isnt failing .. but every new incubator will have its quirks, mine i aerate 2-3 times a day by fanning the lid a couple times .. it stays pretty rock solid with my secondary gauge in an egg pocket reading 98.5-99.5 ... humidity the unit reports at about 65 if the water level is correct to keep it stable, i try not to let it run low .. internally humidity is running even higher in spots, dont care .. its the temp stability im looking for .. let it run dryer temps will spike, then if something stupid is done like adjusting temp, then water is added, now the eggs can chill from the bottom .. but yeah .. all this needs to be worked out on a new bator .. dropping eggs in and going for it 'adjusring on the fly' will be hit or miss on what results will be ..
Well, maybe it was user error on my part then, but after the eggs went it nothing remained stable the way it had when I set it up and let it run for 3-4 days beforehand. I never adjust anything really on the fly, and I hate that you can't actively see the water level in the farm innovations one. It is going back this weekend. to get my internal thermometer/hygrometer to read at the correct temperature of 98-99.5 I had to crank the heat on the actual unit to 106.5. I figured the styrofoam would be a bit more stable than my 360 which is all plastic, but apparently not. And as I stated before I don't ever open the lid or anything until it looks like, for the most part, everyone has hatched and fluffed and no one else is pipped or given what day it is on the hatch calendar I take out the eggs that haven't pipped to candle and see if something happened or if they still look viable.
Anyhow, long story short, I was just asking about if eggs that had been in too low of humidity, but were viable up to that point, would still be viable if I move to a more stable incubator.

Back
Top Bottom