Incorporating a brooder area in Woods Coop?

Ok @jolenesdad is this what you’re building? I can’t imagine that working in a lot of climates .... Dr woods wrote his book in 1912, I hope we’ve learned a lot since then ...
B3666A99-1751-4048-9331-61FDD58E1B28.png
C2DD0E79-6593-4211-AD69-7411E10C359A.png

Right , I remember your story @jolenesdad . I think it’s pathetic that we (I)have to apologize for not free ranging ,
It’s a choice we make as owners , you know the risks can be high . I’m not willing to do that and I don’t want poop all over my yard either :)and I like to know where my animals are ....

My hens are in a 10 foot by 40 foot run , they get greens everyday and are healthy and laying well.

I wish you luck in your “new coop condominium “, I’m sure they will be very happy in it !

For my coop, I've built two lightweight temporary walls, with 2X3"s and chickenwire. With them, I block off a 4X6' area (The low roofed area up front), in the front corner of the coop, opposite the entry door. There is a chickenwire door in one wall to access the area. Again, 2X3" framed, with chickenwire, and the door itself, is hinged with chickenwire. The walls go from floor to ceiling, and just tied together with string at the corner. I put a separate water fount, and feeder in there, plus a single nestbox for the broody. This is also what I use, when I introduce new storebought chicks. The older birds get a good look at them for a few weeks, and makes everything go smooth, when the walls come down.

Do you have a picture of this? I have two broodys and I am needing to create something for them in my Woods Coop ASAP!

Right , I remember your story @jolenesdad . I think it’s pathetic that we (I)have to apologize for not free ranging ,
It’s a choice we make as owners , you know the risks can be high . I’m not willing to do that and I don’t want poop all over my yard either :)and I like to know where my animals are ....

My hens are in a 10 foot by 40 foot run , they get greens everyday and are healthy and laying well.

I wish you luck in your “new coop condominium “, I’m sure they will be very happy in it !
I see plenty of threads where free ranging meets plenty of resistance as well. You will get umpteen opinions. I say do your research, then do your thang, and learn from it. Practice makes perfect. Hard to know what you need to know at first. That comes with time. There really isn't one right answer.:caf:old:th

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom