incubating african eggs - detached air cell (day 30 - they are hatching!!)

thumbsup.gif

It sounds like you're approaching internal pipping. In our Dewlaps this tend to happen about day 28/29. I would mist and cool only twice daily and just watch for the shadows moving to the side and front of the aircells. At this point start listening for the clicking sound of respiration. Great plan to stop turning the eggs as they now favour the hatching postion (you can always place them on a level table and the same side will always be uppermost).

Good luck as you're not far away now and we've not even got our first egg yet
wink.png

Hey Pete (and those who are also following thread)... Time for the morning day 27 update!
big_smile.png

I have nice dipping and shadows rising in 3 BYC eggs and the beginnings of shadowing in the 4th BYC egg. Both of the ebay eggs are also dipping nicely and I am seeing pulsing along membrane edges, but they are not as close as the BYC eggs. I think that at least 1-2 BYC eggs will pip by tomorrow.

It would makes sense to me that the BYC eggs will pip sooner because they are standard africans? I was told by seller they usually hatch on day 29 or day 30. And I also assume the large dewlap africans would take a day or two more?

Would it be better to move the ones that pip to the bator that is currently hatching duckies... or lockdown the goosie bator before the ebay eggs pip? Based on your article, I don't go into lockdown until they begin to establish breathing... so I have at least 1-2 more days?

You may find that by the time the first ones externally pip the others have internally pipped - in which case they can go into lockdown together. However there's no harm putting the first to internally pip with the ducks providing there's no increase in temperature and its just the humidity thats high.

Any update as the shadowing in the air cell should be increasing down the side and front indicating internal pipping is imminent. Best of luck with the eggs as you approach hatching
wink.png

This is day 28 morning. We are getting close now! BYC #2 internally pipped last night around 2am. BYC #4 pipped between 2am-6am. Ebay #2 and BYC #1 & 3 have shadows rising in back cell, so I expect them to pip sometime later today. Not sure if Ebay #1 is ok as I cannot see anything happening in it at the moment.

I have the last of the new duck hatchlings drying off in bator this morning and once they are moved, I will give the hatching bator a wipe down and move the goosies over to that bator. I assume I do no need to start bumping humidity until later tonight??

Another quick update.
smile.png

Ebay egg #1 has decided to join the party. It is now vibrating and rocking like the others. And, I heard my first peep from the bator!
yesss.gif

BYC #3 has internally pipped now, the first two pippers have moved all the way into the aircell and are peeping, and BYC #4 has almost pipped. The ebay eggs are rocking and pulsing the membrane, but no distinct shadows yet.

I still have duckies in the hatcher and do not want to move them just yet.... should I start bumping humidity in the goose bator even though the large dewlap have not internally pipped yet?

Here is a pic of the one that I think may be close to externally pipping. I am starting to bump humidity now to at least 50%.

Back
Top Bottom