incubating multipal hatch problems

craig g

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 14, 2008
We got our incubatar for christmas. We had been saveing eggs for a couple days and put 18 bb red banty eggs in on the 24. On the 25 we added 9 more black sex links. Then every 4 or 5 days we added 9 or 10 bb red eggs. We candled on day 15 and 16 of the 18 and all 9 sex link egg were fertile. Incubator getting full and today we moved the 16 bb red banty egg out of turner and added water to the big tray. Then we figured out we had a problem. If we bring the humidty up on the first batch for the last three days we will also bring it up for the other 4 batches . I am not worried about the 2nd batch because it was added the next day but, the other 3 that was put in on the 28 (at 15 days) ----- 4th ( at 7 days ) ------ and 8th ( at 3 days ). Are these in trouble with the humidty up so high?

Thats the problem with staggered hatches. They dont always turn out that good !!!

What did you up your hum to ??

60% . I never seen this comeing ( I alway have to learn the hard way)

Unless you have a second incubator is always hard to do staggered hatches, especially with that many eggs at different stages. It causes problems with the later eggs and humidity problems.

If I go get a second incubator can I still keep staggered batches going and use the second one for day 18 to hatch. And if I go get anouther incubator it will be tomorrow evening. Do I need to remove water and get humidty down now or wait and add second batch of eggs to the new incubator?

Quote:
Yes, thats what a lot of people do, they use the 2nd one as a "hatcher"

I think I would set up the new bator and put the younger eggs in that one (at least this time) only b/c you have bator 1 all set up for hacthing. JMO !!

Back
Top Bottom