Incubating peafowl eggs thread

Thank you for input, Birdrain92, I understand what you mean light and dence ect.
I will be taking notes as they hopefully progress.
You really don't find much information on line about hatching peafowl eggs. Our peafowl don't seem to have intrest on setting and I have no broody hens.
I am the same way about turning my eggs I don't think about it I just do it. I even had a nice cabinet made that it sits on when in use and I can put 2 inside
made specially for my Brinsea 20's and it as an extra area for things like sponges, cheese cloth (I put under the egg holder basket helps chatch egg shells as they hatch).

Also a great tip I found on a local Homestead site is if you have an incubator that the eggs may roll around in or like you said one side gets heavy, if you have an empty toilet paper roll or paper towel roll you can fold it then cut slices and set each egg in one of the slices you can even let them hatch setting on the roll slice

Thanks again for all your info

Thank you for input, Birdrain92, I understand what you mean light and dence ect.
I will be taking notes as they hopefully progress.
You really don't find much information on line about hatching peafowl eggs. Our peafowl don't seem to have intrest on setting and I have no broody hens.
I am the same way about turning my eggs I don't think about it I just do it. I even had a nice cabinet made that it sits on when in use and I can put 2 inside
made specially for my Brinsea 20's and it as an extra area for things like sponges, cheese cloth (I put under the egg holder basket helps chatch egg shells as they hatch).

Also a great tip I found on a local Homestead site is if you have an incubator that the eggs may roll around in or like you said one side gets heavy, if you have an empty toilet paper roll or paper towel roll you can fold it then cut slices and set each egg in one of the slices you can even let them hatch setting on the roll slice

Thanks again for all your info

Any time. I remember when I first started incubating peafowl eggs all I could find was the eggs hatch from 26 to 30. Average incubation period is 28 days. I should've joined BYC sooner but I don't really trust blogs since people could put things you don't trust but I've found more accurate better information on this website than anywhere else. Other than peafowl breeders in person. Though there are very few in the Western US and most let there hens do the hatching. I like a bit of both. I like to incubate some of my own and let the hen do hers. That way I can try to learn how well I'm doing compared to a peahen.

I remember hearing about one person makes individual "cells" squares in the incubator that each egg sits in and hatches that way the chicks don't disturb the other eggs. I don't do it I just put the eggs up against one side of the incubator so the chick could put itself in between two eggs without rolling them across the incubator. I've had chicks chase other eggs across the incubator it's kind of funny at first but then you think of the chick inside saying "quit spinning me!" Then you kind of get nervous if it will kill the chick inside.

My incubator right now only holds 9 peafowl eggs not side by side all touching. I like to give the eggs a little bit of space. If it was more nest like where the eggs can't roll and they will always be at the center I would put them together but incubators aren't like that so I space the eggs apart. I'm sure I could fit 12 peafowl eggs if I tried. I would love to get those cabinet incubators that can hold a lot of eggs. But to do that I need more birds and my parents aren't completely up for that idea.

Last edited:
Hi, I'd like to join this thread! My neighbor/landlord just gave me 6 peafowl eggs last night. They are in the incubator now. I'm using a Brinsea mini and these eggs look huge in there! Especially because I normal incubate bantam chicken eggs. My question is about humidity. I read somewhere that 60% was good for peafowl for days 1-25. Is this true? I normally run dryer with my chickens. At about 35%. Anything else I should know? I'm hand turning 3xday & temp is 99.5-100. forced air. Thank you.

60 percent is way too high, I think most the folks here run between 40 and 45?

Jump in those of u who incubate!
My comments should be counted as worthless, lol. This year I decided to use bators instead of broodies and my hatch rates are *really* low.
But I agree, I think a RH of 60 is way too high. @AmyLynn2374
doesn't hatch peafowl eggs, but always has good info regarding humidity.

-Kathy

My comments should be counted as worthless, lol. This year I decided to use bators instead of broodies and my hatch rates are *really* low.
But I agree, I think a RH of 60 is way too high. @AmyLynn2374

doesn't hatch peafowl eggs, but always has good info regarding humidity.

-Kathy

Yes, Amy helped me with chicken eggs! Thank you. It was one article that said that & I didn't know but it only ran at 60% for less then 24 hours. I took the water out and will run dry until it stabilizes. Anything else peafowl specific? :)

Careful running dry... it's dry in my house, so when I do that my humidity drops to 0%. 

-Kathy

It's weird because I just ran totally dry on my last batch (just ended yesterday) of chicken eggs and humidity stayed at about 35-40%. I ran dry for a few hours with these pea eggs today and it dropped down to 20%. I wonder if its because of how big they are...they literally fill my incubator! Everything I have been reading this evening, has said to keep humidity around 45-55%, some articles even say 60%. Some pea hatchers are swearing by 60. I won't go that high. I figured I'll stay around 45-50%. This is a new experience for sure. I don't want to get my hopes up. The eggs don't come from the best source but it would be amazing to get one of those beautiful babies!! You hatch them under a broody, right?

This year i'm having many quitters, some of them die just a day before lockdown and most of them die at first day on lock down, could it be lack of oxygen in the hatcher? I decreased the ventilation holes to the half in the hatcher to get the humidity higher to 70%or 72%, if i will leave them open at all the humidity will be only 65%.

Location, location, location. It changes so much with your location. So far this year, and it has been a rainy spring, I have done well with the lower humidity running in the low forties and it does not seem to matter at hatching time if I run 45% or 75%, both are working fine for me. I think the key is low % humidity in the incubator.

As a side note; the auto water fill bucket on the Sportsman got clogged up with minerals. The float valve stuck and the pan was dry, I don't know for how many days, but when I noticed it the humidity was 39%. I have had two really good hatches since then so I don't think that mattered so much. The bucket when filled, will normally last two or three weeks before needing to be refilled.

Back
Top Bottom