Incubating peafowl eggs thread

Quote:
I like the Dickey incubator way better to incubate eggs then the Sportsman (they do make good hatchers) my best hatch was when I swapped my Sportsman GQF for the Dickey. Steve

X2,

I love my Dickey's way more than my 2 Sportsman's

Ok so I'm getting a dozen or so Peafowl eggs in a week or 2 they will be fresh I've been looking through the peafowl threads and found out alot but I just some confirmation on if I got it or if I need to know more
They are incubated at 99.5 for 28 days, humidity at 45 till lock down when is that? And durning lockdown raise it to 60 or is higher better? Leave them on there sides and hand turn 5 times a day correct? Oh and what do I feed the chicks? Chick start? Or do they eat a game chick feed like turkeys? Thanks for any info

Last edited:
something to be careful of when your using a hovabator. I left my peachick in the hovabator too long after it hatched and it burned his little head. Either that or I have a very unusual looking peacock with two naked spots on his head. (I will ad picture when I have the ability). He is just fine and it does give him an interesting look, but if we were to try to sell him it probably wouldnt be a feature.

Good luck, After Taking a break since 2008 we are incubating again this year.

Last edited:
I have to say that I am a little confused. I want to hatch a few peafowl eggs. I have a 1588 Hova-Bator Incubator. I have a chicken automatic egg turner. Can I use this for the Peafowl eggs? or is it better to lay the eggs on their side and turn them? I read an article, where the author states: "My incubators have automatic turners which tip 45 degrees in either direction every 2 to 3 hours. I have found that the hatching percentage can be greatly improved be turning eggs over 180 degrees twice a day in addition to using the automatic turner." So does the mean I should put the small end of the egg in the turner and then turn them so the large end of the egg in the turner? Or is this person using a different type of turner?

Also, the article states: "I have found through the years that the humidity level in the incubator plays the biggest role in successful artificial incubation of peafowl eggs. I maintain the humidity level at 60%", but I also read in this thread that it should be 40%? Can someone clarify.

Thanks for the help.

Link to the article, in case someone wants it: http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/4/

Tami

Quote:
depends on your incubator 99.5 is for ones with fans, humidity little higher, and yes a good medicated turkey starter feed.

Quote:
No, do not turn them where the large end is down. I don't know how well they fit in the chicken egg turner of your bator. Somebody else who has used your modle willl speak up. 60% is a bit high for the incubation. Should be closer to 48-50%.

We have incubated in small foam hovobator. using the turner, small end of egg down. the extra turning they are talking about is spinning the egg clockwise or counter clockwise
in the turner. Usually a 1/4 quarter turn.

So not only do the eggs go back and forth in the Turner, but you also spin them one quarter 3 or 4 times a day. The extra turning/spinning is what they say increase the
hatch rate.

Our Hovobater was old, and we had to switch from it because the thermostat became unreliable. We would come home and look and our eggs were at 102 or to low. Red
ring of death was commonplace for us. That is when we thought we could use it as a hatcher, and it burned our little chicky's head.

I would love to have a nice incubator, one of those that are water cooled if it gets too hot. but we just cant afford anything like that right now. This year My DH built a non
turning incubator from a cabinet we used information from this website to figure out how to install thermostat, and lights,.

Good luck

Last edited:
Ok I need all the help I can get.....My peacocks matured n laid fir the 1st time this yr.I was thrilled they laid 5 eggs,i took them days they were laid n put in a egg carton on its side n alternated cartons sides 2xs a day for 2 days then placed in incubator temp 99.5 n humidity 55%,the 3 days before hatch due placed them on sides in my genesis incubator temp 99.5 n humidity 70% well complete FAILURE!so depressed!.
So my real help is I just ordered 3 peacock fertile eggs on ebay,so what do I need to do when they arrive?what temp n humidity does eggs need to be,then when do I stop turning ,whats incubation temp n humidty for the whole process of incubating?I dont want to be another complete FAILURE when I now have cost involved on eggs.
I have tried ckn ,duck,turkey n peacock eggs the last mth.half n only had 2 geese hatch,soooo I'm getting FRUSTRATED!
Help me someone it cant be this difficult....can it?

Back
Top Bottom