Incubating peahen eggs

Thank you all for the advice, I will keep you updated on the results. Hoping for a good hatch and all the help from you all will increase that chance. I've never used a brood hen, what's the best way to get her to go broody?

Usually bantams are your brooders. If the chicken was bred for egg production your chances are slim of them going broody.

I might go to the local flea market this weekend and see if I can find some game hens or Cochins, thank you

Here are some pointers on gamefowl and breeds, ask the seller the breed and how docile they are because some games are bred to be deadly and can kill a pea, sometimes the hens can be very aggressive as well. Try to stay away from hens that have spurs (many game hens will have them) as they have a tendency to break eggs. Look for old english style gamefowl like wheatons, golden duckwing, etc... Stay away from butchers and such named breeds. I learned that the hard way when my father inlaw gave me a "retired Butcher" a while back and he dang near killed every male I had on the yard, killed a turkey and permanently removed the crest on my best pied pea male all in one day. Cochins are a very docile breed as well as brahmas, if you were closer? (Location?) I could help you out with some game hens. Good luck and keep us posted on the results.

Gerald Barker

Here are some pointers on gamefowl and breeds, ask the seller the breed and how docile they are because some games are bred to be deadly and can kill a pea, sometimes the hens can be very aggressive as well. Try to stay away from hens that have spurs (many game hens will have them) as they have a tendency to break eggs. Look for old english style gamefowl like wheatons, golden duckwing, etc... Stay away from butchers and such named breeds. I learned that the hard way when my father inlaw gave me a "retired Butcher" a while back and he dang near killed every male I had on the yard, killed a turkey and permanently removed the crest on my best pied pea male all in one day. Cochins are a very docile breed as well as brahmas, if you were closer? (Location?) I could help you out with some game hens. Good luck and keep us posted on the results.

Gerald Barker

I'm in Buffalo, TX. Looks like I'm about 2 hours from you. We have a flea market this weekend that have chickens, I might go this weekend and see if there are any Cochins.

I'm leaning toward some Cochin bantams. Or the game hens that were suggested if I can find any.

If they have chickens, there will be plenty of gamefowl and just like dogs a mutt is usually the best dog, if you find crosses and Im betting you will dont shy away from them. The cochins would be on my list as well.

Gerald Barker

If they have chickens, there will be plenty of gamefowl and just like dogs a mutt is usually the best dog, if you find crosses and Im betting you will dont shy away from them. The cochins would be on my list as well.

Gerald Barker

Mutts aren't always the best. Depends on the circumstance. Sometimes they are sometimes not so much. I prefer purebreds or close enough to be considered purebreds for most species.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom