Incubating shipped eggs

Nice, Keep pics coming.

My shipped eggs are on day 10 now I think. How were your air sacs? Mine are basically all saddle shaped which has me worried.

Last edited:
Watch where they pip, I put them on their sides to hatch (per one of the experts here at backyard chickens)currently have two that have piped at the bottom and are malpositioned. Well I just read at the learning center - put them in a cardboard egg carton (cut a hole in the bottom and cut the sides down so you can see if they pip low). I'm using a tweezer to pull some of the shell away from the white membrane, setting them on a wet paper towel, so they can hatch at the proper time on their own(yolk has to be absorbed and blood vessels in inner membrane have to stop flowing). Have to keep an eye on them so they don't shrink wrap because I'm having fun keeping the humidity @60. My air sacs are all over the place, some saddle shaped and some lop sided. Three unzipped & hatched out all by themselves fairly quick. So I have to believe 60% humidity is good for hatching.

Last edited:

First chick

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do - I have one chick piping at the very bottom of a shipped egg. Very small opening.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do - I have one chick piping at the very bottom of a shipped egg.  Very small  opening.

I read something in the learning center yesterday on that. Can't remember the article but was with assisted hatching.

Think the idea was keep a very close eye for a couple of hours, can't remember the assistance required if needed, the info is there so have a look

Helped this one after it piped at the bottom @9 hr's ago. Had to peal the inner membrane away from its beak. Still waiting for the yolk to be absorbed.

Three hatched with no assist out of four. Still waiting to see if the one lil pip gets any progress at the bottom. Went ahead and pealed off some of the egg shell, uhg. So afraid I'm going to hurt it, well I'm glad I did - the inner membrane was gray and sticky around it's beak. Is this from low humidity? high humidity? Pulled it back. Wrapped it in a wet paper towel and set it back in. This is day 19 in the incubator so they started developing as soon as I put them in the cardboard egg cartons to stabilize? After the last two hatched my humidity spiked to 80%, hope the other eggs are ok - vented, put it back down to 60%

Last edited:
Hope the rest hatch while I'm sleeping, would be a nice surprise in the morning! Is moisture released when chicks hatch? Just wondering how the humidity rose so fast to 80% right after two chicks hatched.

Last edited:

All four chicks are doing well! Lil one is wrapped in a wet paper towel waiting, still see blood vessels in the membrane. Hope he's up & running by tomorrow evening-that'll make five. These four hatched early. Four more waiting to pip!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom