INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eeeewww! Nice gory story!
sickbyc.gif
Do I now smell the smell of bleach? And other assortment of cleaners?

So ya'll want to hear a gory incubation story? It starts with a young woman who didn't have a clue ( now that I think about it that's how most of my stories start lol) and her first eggtopsy. She didn't date her eggs the first hatch and notice one was leaking so she candle it and it was dark so she decided to open it to see what was in it. Well I took the egg in one hand and the sharpest knife I had in the other standing in the middle of my kitchen I was going to score the top and go from there. So i started sawing at the top all of the sudden there was a big pop I closed my eyes first I felt the heat of something sticky hit my face the egg flew and then the smell hit me something like sulfur and rotting flesh but so much worse. I couldn't scream I couldn't open my eyes since my face was covered in god knows what and I blindly ran to the bathroom trying to hold down my supper and dove in the shower I jumped in clothes and all turned it on which was ice cold it almost made me scream again but there was no way in hell I was opening my mouth I quickly scrubbed down and was finally able to open my eyes and mouth so all of those fun curse words could come pouring out got dried of and went to look at the kitchen. Let's just say walking into a massacre would have been less traumatizing gore coated my ceiling, cabinets, walls, and stove I didn't know one egg could hold so much ick. But where had the egg gone I was looking around and didn't see it and that when I realized I had left the silverware drawer open when I got the knife I thought no way my luck can't be that bad so I slowly crept closer hoping for the best but expecting the worst. When I was finally close enough to see in the drawer there lay the egg slightly shredded from exploding and a completely formed half rotted chick. At that point I gave up and cried a little but I learned a very good lesson always date your eggs kids. At the time it wasn't funny but I can laugh about it now.
yuckyuck.gif

To all looking- I got a thermometer, couldn't find a hygrometer, but it says 100 degrees, the incubator says 99.2 degrees. Hmm....
Calibrate that mini thermometer! Then you will not have to guess! Make an ice water slushy, then stick your thermometer into a baggie and submerge it into the ice water for a few minutes. It should read 32 if its calibrated correctly.

Last edited:
Calibrate that mini thermometer!  Then you will not have to guess!  Make an ice water slushy, then stick your thermometer into a baggie and submerge it into the ice water for a few minutes.  It should read 32 if its calibrated correctly.

Ok. It's a refrigerator freezer thermometer, so it should be waterproof, right? Well, I hope so.

Anyway back to why today was a bad day. If you could all please keep my family and my Grandpa in your prayers. Today it was decided that Tuesday my Grandpa will be going to live in an Alzheimer's care home and we are not taking it well. It's a local place and seems like a good one, but my great grandfather died shortly after being admitted to a similar but nicer place. My mother is a nurse and her and I lived with my grandparents for over three years to try and keep him at home, as she made him that promise when he was horrified after being diagnosed with the horrible disease. However it has become clear that it is no longer safe for him to live at home despite the many safety measures we implemented. He is also to the point that he frequently doesn't recognize even my Grandma and most of the time doesn't know where he is. My Grandpa is like a father to me as my own has fallen horribly short. Please pray for my mother's, grandmother's, and family's peace during this awful time, and please pray that we can salvage this Christmas in spite of how bleak things feel today. Thank you guys.

I have fallen behind again with the weekend and will try to keep up tomorrow but we are planning to go out to Grandma and Grandpa's so no guarantees. Thank you all for keeping us in your thoughts or prayers.

Hi @Scovy Momma Here are the two most likely to be Poe's parents :D
AWWWS! Thank you! They are so pretty!! I just love the white all mottled in the colors! Those have always been my favy & I am so happy the one that made it ended up having that look!
Oh my goodness! I actually had to skip some pages to catch up. Three days of not being around a computer much really adds up! I had 10 Serama eggs incubating. ALL of them except one were malpositioned! i'm thinking they may not like the turner in the R-com. I usually hand turn the Seramas. I don't know what else could have happened. They started pipping yesterday, day 20, most at the pointed end. One was just below the air cell. Two hatched fine without assistance. I helped the other 4 that had pipped but couldn't zip. 3 died without pipping. 3 of the ones I helped are up running around acting normal. The other one is still laying down with the bottom half of the shell still on him. There is one more to hatch and he looks almost normal. Pipped right at the edge of the aircell and bled a little. I candled and can see the beak in the aircell, so I'm leaving that one alone. I set 6 of my Serama eggs yesterday for the NYD HAL. In the Mind reader bator. (And true to form, I added another one today!) ... Cuz my shipped eggs STILL are not here!!! :barnie But at least I'll have the R-com back by the time they get here, if they get here.... That's my news for now. Missing all the silliness and chatter! Maybe I can get back on here off and on this evening.
I'm curious when you get the shipped eggs. Has it been too many days already? I think I might take a break on hatching...or whatever it is I was doing, because they weren't actually "hatching" :) except for my Poe. I opened the three eggs & it made me sad. A white chick & two black ones. They were completely developed. I knew they were moving as of day 19 so they should have been fine but they didn't pip. One of the black ones was smaller than the other & instead of his beak under wing it was in the yolk sac & seems to have broke the yolk. The other two looked perfect but for the yolk not being absorbed. I am very new so I can be absolutely wrong, though.
Maybe because the bagel Bator is so small with only a thin plastic dome top it can't keep them warm? I don't know, I had the bator covered with sweats trying to keep it warm. It stayed pretty consistent temps around 99, but I just couldn't get it to stay over that very consistently. Maybe my house was too cold. Can anything be determined by these pictures of what I did wrong?

Last edited:
Anyway back to why today was a bad day. If you could all please keep my family and my Grandpa in your prayers. Today it was decided that Tuesday my Grandpa will be going to live in an Alzheimer's care home and we are not taking it well. It's a local place and seems like a good one, but my great grandfather died shortly after being admitted to a similar but nicer place. My mother is a nurse and her and I lived with my grandparents for over three years to try and keep him at home, as she made him that promise when he was horrified after being diagnosed with the horrible disease. However it has become clear that it is no longer safe for him to live at home despite the many safety measures we implemented. He is also to the point that he frequently doesn't recognize even my Grandma and most of the time doesn't know where he is. My Grandpa is like a father to me as my own has fallen horribly short. Please pray for my mother's, grandmother's, and family's peace during this awful time, and please pray that we can salvage this Christmas in spite of how bleak things feel today. Thank you guys.

I have fallen behind again with the weekend and will try to keep up tomorrow but we are planning to go out to Grandma and Grandpa's so no guarantees. Thank you all for keeping us in your thoughts or prayers.
so sorry! I know how it is when grandfathers getvadmitted to nursing homes. Mine passed away a few months after entering one; he just couldn't take the thought of not being ableto care for himself.
Wishing you and your family all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom