INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH thinks this one will live outside at the farm. I really don't see that happening. I've never had an outside dog... Well, not since I was about 6. And we didn't keep it long. DH grew up with a farm/ranch lifestyle with farm dogs. But he'll get sad when he heard it crying out there by itself.

My opinion is that it is only ever okay to have dogs outside when they are dogs plural. They are pack animals. We wouldn't do it to a bird, so why a dog?

Do the goats count as a pack?

th.gif
If you skin, don't complain about your arm hurting! Ducks are very difficult to skin!
Can't be any harder then a person.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I've never candled an egg under a broody.

I wasn't planning to, but after she kept kicking them out and leaving them, I decided I better check them (it's her first time, and my first time with a broody). I think a couple may not be as far along as others, but they all appear to be developing. They are due to hatch Saturday! :)

Quote:
I didnt the first time and I sure wish I had, the explosion under a hen can get seriously nasty quick, and if you wash her she can unbrood, the stench is horrible as are the eggs all under her. I do always suggest marking the eggs and candling at least day 10 to be sure they are viable. My black cochin was a freaking nasty mess and all eggs were killed from it too.

I have a broody that I haven't candled. I moved her yesterday because I found ants under her box. Did I post that pic here? I thought she wouldn't set, but she's stuck tight. She didn't even move when I gave her water. I think she's in lockdown.

Last edited:
I have a broody that I haven't candled. I moved her yesterday because I found ants under her box. Did I post that pic here? I thought she wouldn't set, but she's stuck tight. She didn't even move when I gave her water. I think she's in lockdown.

I came home yesterday and my broody and her eggs were covered in ants! Thanks to the advice here, I sprinkled baking soda all around and this morning all the ants were gone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom