INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do, I suggest a great Pyr, my puppy today was even pulling our barn cat away from my pet house chickens when it was out in a rabbit hutch. She didn't kill our cat, but if he keeps trying to eat the chickens, she may eventually put him out of his misery.

Live stock guardian dogs trained to protect your flocks are better than almost any other deterrent.

I have a dog that would go after it, well we have four dogs but two are little and two are medium sized dogs, I have my own dog my sister has her own dog and my mom has the two little dogs, mine is a border collie and Aussie. I found her on pennswoods for 35 bucks a few minutes from where we live. She just turned two years old September 18 but she would probably kill it if she found both of our medium sized dogs dug up a ground hog and went after it but I didn't let them kill it because of the size of those things teeth.

Last edited:
Yes in Ga as well. Because they're considered a nuisance. It's also the same in SC. Idk where there would be an actual season? Ohhhh you have to talk HIM into it?? Hmmmm what's your number? I'll help you!!! Lol yes we always carry a loaded pistol. We have only had to take out a few this way that were out of control.

:

haha, it's not that he can't go hunting.... but he has no real desire to butcher or pay someone else ot butcher. I've had a hard time talking him into butchering our turkey's when I get our flock going since I love turkey meat ;o LOL

Ohh ok. I understand that. We usually do our own. Can't afford the processor. Someday we hope to have all of our own processing supplies.

Quote: see below!

The neighbors texted this morning they said a grey fox got four of there chickens, 1 duck, and 2 Guineas between 6:30-7:00. He said his wife shot at it but missed. I think they have gotten 3 fox alreay this year. We haven't seen any fox over here I hope I don't either.
WOW I hope you dont as well!

Quote: I sure wish you were closer! I would take those turkey and give you this batch of serama that are hatching!! are you sure you cant talk them into a trip to cabelas and a pit stop along the way? I am just off the interstate too!!

This is the coop that will be two breeding pens and it has no nesting boxes either so that we will have to figure out also

Then this is the coop that the mixed flock stays in but once they die off I don't know what I will put in there or just keep the mixed flock going for now.

sweet!!!
Quote: I dont think its carried in the egg, no.

How do birds become infected?

Normally, most birds pass small numbers of oocysts in their droppings without apparent ill effects. Coccidiosis becomes important as a disease when animals live, or are reared, under conditions that permit the build-up of infective oocysts in the environment. The intensive rearing of domestic chickens may provide these conditions.
Young chickens pick up the infection from contaminated premises (soil, houses, utensils, etc.). These may have been contaminated previously by other young infected birds or by adult birds that have recovered from the condition. Wet areas around water fountains are a source of infection. Oocysts remain viable in litter for many months. In this way they can contaminate a farm from year to year. Oocysts are killed by freezing, extreme dryness and high temperatures.All about COCCI Prevention Vaccines TREATMENTS Poo Samples post #70896

Quote:
hide.gif

I didn't but will snap one at next candling. The egg is a little bigger than most of them but very little. I have been surfing this thread since I joined which isn't to long but I am here. If it is a double yoke will both keats survive if everything is alright. What happens when it is a double yoke? It was kinda funny when I saw it, my mouth flew open and my eggs got bigger ha ha. Thanks for the info.

no the pet store sold me sick fish and I didn't even notice when I bought them.now I lost a bunch and my Oscar and others are covered in ick
Could have been in your tank already. I only have Black Penedesenca but I highly recommend them. They fare best in a free range situation and don't handle close confinement. With lots of good forage, they can supplement a good deal of their feed. That just doesn't happen around here from the end of November to March.
if you see the origninal photo where each foot goes in its angled so that it will automatically tighten on the leg as they are slid in it???? Am I right or wrong? may not need anything to hold them in because weight should do it with that angle?
No you're right, that helps speed the automation process. However, I don't see CornishX fighting a lot.
@dheltzel raise the tank temperature to 78-80°F for about 3-4 days I know you cant kill it onthe fish you have to kill lifecycle in the tank.... Dennis I tagged is true Aquarium Master hope he can explain it to you and let you know what you can try! And you do realize CH that your oscar will eat all your other fish right? only thing that can grow with them is a pleco that I am aware of and they will need a huge tank in short order. Oscars are not the best fish for your tank.
X2 - especially that Oscars aren't a community tank friendly fish.
Hi campin love yer thinger, I posted at grannys, I am falling asleep and my inet sucks right now with this drizzle,I pray I can catch up tomorrow and start that thread. I just cant right now.
What new thread?
I wake up when called . . . Ich is really pretty simple to treat. Raise the temp as high as your fish can stand without stressing them, stress is the #1 factor in making fish susceptible to disease. Oscars and other fish from the Amazon can tolerate 80 or even 85 without trouble as long as not overcrowded. Add an airstone or powerhead to increase oxygen when the temps are up. The high heat increases the metabolism of the parasite that causes ich and weakens it. Then, add salt, common table salt, the cheaper the better. Don't worry about iodine, that's harmless, but the stuff they add to make it free flowing in the more expensive brands is not helpful. Start with a teaspoon per gallon. Every day, add another teaspoon per gallon. Watch for any signs of respiratory distress. If they are breathing heavy, so a large water change. Now, for the real secret -- the white dots are cysts that will drop off and fall to the bottom (or get picked up by the filter). They incubate for a short time, then each hatches into hundreds of little parasites, all seeking a host. If you gravel vac thoroughly at least once a day, you will remove massive numbers of these cysts before they hatch. Remember to add salt to the water you use to replace it. The salty water really stresses the parasites, already weakened by the high temps. The water changes remove lots of cysts and the also de-stress the fish so their immune systems can kick in and fight off the parasite. I believe most ich outbreaks are not caused by introducing the parasite, it was already there, but a new fish changes the social dynamic and adds stress so at least one fish becomes susceptible and that starts the massive buildup of the parasites that soon overwhelms the defenses of all the fish, making it seem like the new fish brought it. It might have been "patient #1", but might have been infected by parasites already in the tank (or in the pet shop tank, those places are "rife with strife"). I avoid buying pet shop fish as much as possible, and expect any I do get to become sick. So a quarantine tank is a must, preferably setup like I described from combating ich, as this also treats a lot of other problems as well. Once the new fish is recovered and free of problems for a month of so, only then can it go into the tank with others. I have kept and bred thousands of tropical fish, dozens of varieties, and I have become highly opinionated about the industry and the way fish should be kept. I regularly violated all the "rules" and had fish breed like crazy when overfeeding and under filtering, because I made sure the tanks were a natural as possible, while meeting the needs of the fish I was keeping. Keeping a tank of fish healthy and multiplying is easy if you use the right fish and the right plants and take basic care to keep the environment healthy. Frankly, it got boring, that's why I moved on to poultry . . .
I hope the excellent information is taken to heart and actually read.
I've heard of people with them on the soles of their feet! Now that sucks!
Time to learn to walk on one's hands.
No lol! We use dogs to bay and then the other dogs hold them by their ears. When you hear the ungodly squealing YOU RUN YOUR ASK OFF!! You wanna get to that hog ASAP so those dogs don't get hurt. We run through briars thick as heck ,up hill or down hill ,through swamps ....you name it! One person grabs hold of the hind legs and flips the hog on their back. One person hold their foot down on the neck. And the third person sticks the hog in the lung/heart area so that it'll bleed out quickly. As someone else is pulling off the dogs. If the hog doesn't die quickly we will shoot it to end needless suffering. No reason for that mess. Glad you like!!
Sounds exciting.
... ChickenCanoe: Hecks to the yes!!! That's great. I'm assuming you saved it fairly quickly? You only have so much time before it would start to spoil especially in the hot weather we've had. Way to exercise your frugality!!!! Lol
One was hit during the night and died 20' from the house. It was February and I discovered it as I was getting ready for work so I couldn't work on it till evening. All I lost was part of the bruised hindquarter and the liver didn't look good. Another had 3 broken legs and a cop killed it at 2AM. I wish he hadn't shot it in the heart. That's my favorite part. I loaded it on the garden cart brought it to the house and hung it up in the morning. The last one jumped a 7' iron fence at the bottom of the hill and caught its rear leg in the top. A cop shot that one too. I had to hack it's lower leg off with a machete to get it down. Loaded it on my son's trunk and drove it up the hill. Basically all fresh kills. That experience has one on the lookout for road kill
We are not so scientific... most of our beef cattle are originally bred out of brown swiss... so they are big and they have no trouble calving. We also have some Murray Grey.. not sure if you have them in the states?? if that is where you are! bit like and angus, only soft grey :)
I've not seen Murray Greys. I imagine it's an Aussie thing.
Ohhhh beautiful there!! Use to live in Bryson City. Gorgeous! Yes they are! That's why there is no season on them. You may take however many whenever. Because they're such a nuisance. They can rut up and destroy an area of land in no time and I do mean no time!!!!
They're hard to the landscape especially in hill country where they contribute to erosion, not to mention competing for food with natives. Some areas of the Ozark Mountains has a problem with them.
Ohh wow!
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/1046313/incubating-w-friends-come-hatch-learn-chat-w-hosts-sally-sunshine-bantychooks/154360#post_17593068 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED] No lol! We use dogs to bay and then the other dogs hold them by their ears. When you hear the ungodly squealing YOU RUN YOUR ASK OFF!! You wanna get to that hog ASAP so those dogs don't get hurt. We run through briars thick as heck ,up hill or down hill ,through swamps ....you name it! One person grabs hold of the hind legs and flips the hog on their back. One person hold their foot down on the neck. And the third person sticks the hog in the lung/heart area so that it'll bleed out quickly. As someone else is pulling off the dogs. If the hog doesn't die quickly we will shoot it to end needless suffering. No reason for that mess. Glad you like!!
WOW thats too nutty for this old gal, cant you just shoot them from a stand? yeezus I would be scared for my dogs and everyone else
@Gloryjasmine Down here in Texas, they have open season on pigs. We haven't gone hunting yet, but I may try to talk my husband into it, because the meat sounds great. Although, the ones here are so nasty vicious, you'd want to use a gun.
Yes in Ga as well. Because they're considered a nuisance. It's also the same in SC. Idk where there would be an actual season? Ohhhh you have to talk HIM into it?? Hmmmm what's your number? I'll help you!!! Lol yes we always carry a loaded pistol. We have only had to take out a few this way that were out of control. :
do you need special tags licenses? in both states then I guess?
Night my friends hope you all sleep good and get rested. To all whom are sick or hurting my God heal your body's in Jesus name Amen
You are so kind. Thank you for this. I have a severe back injury and my husband as well. Thank you for taking the time out to pray for us ALL. Thank you Lord for your healing to come for us all. And pour out your blessings upon everyone here. Amen
1f64f.png
:hugs :thumbsup both of you gals! I love this thread and those it brings together!!
Hey thanks a lot.
Did you order a bator? what did you get ? @dutch25
[@=/u/162672/Sally-Sunshine]@@Sally Sunshine[/@][@=/u/269037/NaJoBeLe]@@NaJoBeLe[/@] [quote url="[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7590777/[/URL]"] [quote url="[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7590777/[/URL]"] [quote url="[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7590777/[/URL]"]
And the credit for the original idea gos TO:........
Someone posted something very similar on here last week, and several of us were discussing the possibility of duplicating it; this is what Chaos came up with.[/quote] And he did a good job too! ( [/quote] I think everyone had a bit of say, but its awesome that Nathan and Choas took the time to actually try to make them! I am thrilled to see it working!
[COLOR=FF0000]Good morning, y'all[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]Hope today brings you all you've wished for;[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]perhaps even something you need[/COLOR]
morning whites hugs love and all the above backatcha
Does anyone have candling images of dark brown eggs?
why whuts going on? they would be mixed in all the other candle images in the notes [/quote]
no the pet store sold me sick fish and I didn't even notice when I bought them.now I lost a bunch and my Oscar and others are covered in ick
Could have been in your tank already. I only have Black Penedesenca but I highly recommend them. They fare best in a free range situation and don't handle close confinement. With lots of good forage, they can supplement a good deal of their feed. That just doesn't happen around here from the end of November to March.
if you see the origninal photo where each foot goes in its angled so that it will automatically tighten on the leg as they are slid in it???? Am I right or wrong? may not need anything to hold them in because weight should do it with that angle?
No you're right, that helps speed the automation process. However, I don't see CornishX fighting a lot.
@dheltzel raise the tank temperature to 78-80°F for about 3-4 days I know you cant kill it onthe fish you have to kill lifecycle in the tank.... Dennis I tagged is true Aquarium Master hope he can explain it to you and let you know what you can try! And you do realize CH that your oscar will eat all your other fish right? only thing that can grow with them is a pleco that I am aware of and they will need a huge tank in short order. Oscars are not the best fish for your tank.
X2 - especially that Oscars aren't a community tank friendly fish.
Hi campin love yer thinger, I posted at grannys, I am falling asleep and my inet sucks right now with this drizzle,I pray I can catch up tomorrow and start that thread. I just cant right now.
What new thread?
I wake up when called . . . Ich is really pretty simple to treat. Raise the temp as high as your fish can stand without stressing them, stress is the #1 factor in making fish susceptible to disease. Oscars and other fish from the Amazon can tolerate 80 or even 85 without trouble as long as not overcrowded. Add an airstone or powerhead to increase oxygen when the temps are up. The high heat increases the metabolism of the parasite that causes ich and weakens it. Then, add salt, common table salt, the cheaper the better. Don't worry about iodine, that's harmless, but the stuff they add to make it free flowing in the more expensive brands is not helpful. Start with a teaspoon per gallon. Every day, add another teaspoon per gallon. Watch for any signs of respiratory distress. If they are breathing heavy, so a large water change. Now, for the real secret -- the white dots are cysts that will drop off and fall to the bottom (or get picked up by the filter). They incubate for a short time, then each hatches into hundreds of little parasites, all seeking a host. If you gravel vac thoroughly at least once a day, you will remove massive numbers of these cysts before they hatch. Remember to add salt to the water you use to replace it. The salty water really stresses the parasites, already weakened by the high temps. The water changes remove lots of cysts and the also de-stress the fish so their immune systems can kick in and fight off the parasite. I believe most ich outbreaks are not caused by introducing the parasite, it was already there, but a new fish changes the social dynamic and adds stress so at least one fish becomes susceptible and that starts the massive buildup of the parasites that soon overwhelms the defenses of all the fish, making it seem like the new fish brought it. It might have been "patient #1", but might have been infected by parasites already in the tank (or in the pet shop tank, those places are "rife with strife"). I avoid buying pet shop fish as much as possible, and expect any I do get to become sick. So a quarantine tank is a must, preferably setup like I described from combating ich, as this also treats a lot of other problems as well. Once the new fish is recovered and free of problems for a month of so, only then can it go into the tank with others. I have kept and bred thousands of tropical fish, dozens of varieties, and I have become highly opinionated about the industry and the way fish should be kept. I regularly violated all the "rules" and had fish breed like crazy when overfeeding and under filtering, because I made sure the tanks were a natural as possible, while meeting the needs of the fish I was keeping. Keeping a tank of fish healthy and multiplying is easy if you use the right fish and the right plants and take basic care to keep the environment healthy. Frankly, it got boring, that's why I moved on to poultry . . .
I hope the excellent information is taken to heart and actually read.
I've heard of people with them on the soles of their feet! Now that sucks!
Time to learn to walk on one's hands.
No lol! We use dogs to bay and then the other dogs hold them by their ears. When you hear the ungodly squealing YOU RUN YOUR ASK OFF!! You wanna get to that hog ASAP so those dogs don't get hurt. We run through briars thick as heck ,up hill or down hill ,through swamps ....you name it! One person grabs hold of the hind legs and flips the hog on their back. One person hold their foot down on the neck. And the third person sticks the hog in the lung/heart area so that it'll bleed out quickly. As someone else is pulling off the dogs. If the hog doesn't die quickly we will shoot it to end needless suffering. No reason for that mess. Glad you like!!
Sounds exciting.
... ChickenCanoe: Hecks to the yes!!! That's great. I'm assuming you saved it fairly quickly? You only have so much time before it would start to spoil especially in the hot weather we've had. Way to exercise your frugality!!!! Lol
One was hit during the night and died 20' from the house. It was February and I discovered it as I was getting ready for work so I couldn't work on it till evening. All I lost was part of the bruised hindquarter and the liver didn't look good. Another had 3 broken legs and a cop killed it at 2AM. I wish he hadn't shot it in the heart. That's my favorite part. I loaded it on the garden cart brought it to the house and hung it up in the morning. The last one jumped a 7' iron fence at the bottom of the hill and caught its rear leg in the top. A cop shot that one too. I had to hack it's lower leg off with a machete to get it down. Loaded it on my son's trunk and drove it up the hill. Basically all fresh kills. That experience has one on the lookout for road kill
We are not so scientific... most of our beef cattle are originally bred out of brown swiss... so they are big and they have no trouble calving. We also have some Murray Grey.. not sure if you have them in the states?? if that is where you are! bit like and angus, only soft grey :)
I've not seen Murray Greys. I imagine it's an Aussie thing.
Ohhhh beautiful there!! Use to live in Bryson City. Gorgeous! Yes they are! That's why there is no season on them. You may take however many whenever. Because they're such a nuisance. They can rut up and destroy an area of land in no time and I do mean no time!!!!
They're hard to the landscape especially in hill country where they contribute to erosion, not to mention competing for food with natives. Some areas of the Ozark Mountains has a problem with them.
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/1046313/incubating-w-friends-come-hatch-learn-chat-w-hosts-sally-sunshine-bantychooks/154360#post_17593068 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED] No lol! We use dogs to bay and then the other dogs hold them by their ears. When you hear the ungodly squealing YOU RUN YOUR ASK OFF!! You wanna get to that hog ASAP so those dogs don't get hurt. We run through briars thick as heck ,up hill or down hill ,through swamps ....you name it! One person grabs hold of the hind legs and flips the hog on their back. One person hold their foot down on the neck. And the third person sticks the hog in the lung/heart area so that it'll bleed out quickly. As someone else is pulling off the dogs. If the hog doesn't die quickly we will shoot it to end needless suffering. No reason for that mess. Glad you like!!
WOW thats too nutty for this old gal, cant you just shoot them from a stand? yeezus I would be scared for my dogs and everyone else
@Gloryjasmine Down here in Texas, they have open season on pigs. We haven't gone hunting yet, but I may try to talk my husband into it, because the meat sounds great. Although, the ones here are so nasty vicious, you'd want to use a gun.
Yes in Ga as well. Because they're considered a nuisance. It's also the same in SC. Idk where there would be an actual season? Ohhhh you have to talk HIM into it?? Hmmmm what's your number? I'll help you!!! Lol yes we always carry a loaded pistol. We have only had to take out a few this way that were out of control. :
do you need special tags licenses? in both states then I guess?
Night my friends hope you all sleep good and get rested. To all whom are sick or hurting my God heal your body's in Jesus name Amen
You are so kind. Thank you for this. I have a severe back injury and my husband as well. Thank you for taking the time out to pray for us ALL. Thank you Lord for your healing to come for us all. And pour out your blessings upon everyone here. Amen
1f64f.png
:hugs :thumbsup both of you gals! I love this thread and those it brings together!!
Hey thanks a lot.
[@=/u/162672/Sally-Sunshine]@@Sally Sunshine[/@][@=/u/269037/NaJoBeLe]@@NaJoBeLe[/@] [quote url="[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7590777/[/URL]"] [quote url="[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7590777/[/URL]"] [quote url="[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7590777/[/URL]"]
Someone posted something very similar on here last week, and several of us were discussing the possibility of duplicating it; this is what Chaos came up with.[/quote] And he did a good job too! ( [/quote] I think everyone had a bit of say, but its awesome that Nathan and Choas took the time to actually try to make them! I am thrilled to see it working!
[COLOR=FF0000]Good morning, y'all[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]Hope today brings you all you've wished for;[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]perhaps even something you need[/COLOR]
why whuts going on? they would be mixed in all the other candle images in the notes [/quote] Ohhh wow! No you don't need a license or special tag that's what open season means. You can just kill them whenever. And how ever many you want. Because they're so out of control. With deer and other seasonal animals,that's population control. But because it's not overpopulated,there's a season. That way,people don't kill too many and cause the species to go extinct. With hogs,that would never happen!! Ohhh ok. I almost said or it was during the colder part of the season where you have more time to gut and process. In the winter here we will shoot one and leave it lay until we're done hunting for that time. So we don't disturb the woods with our scent and noise. Then we'll go get it and do our deed. I like the cold weather because you have that option. Not like in the heat when you only have so much time!

Quote: Ohh ok. I understand that. We usually do our own. Can't afford the processor. Someday we hope to have all of our own processing supplies.
I hang them up in the barn with a chain hoist (best thing since sliced bread for hauling a deer up off the ground), skin & quarter them right there, then carry them down to the DR table to cut them into whatever we want, with the grinder right there. Stick them in Seal A Meal bags, label & date them, and in the freezers they go. Usually 4 of us for the cutting, grinding, & bagging. Used to have a friend (dead now) who'd converted an old chicken house into a deer processing plant; electric, water, saws, table for salting hides being shipped for coats, vest, gloves, etc; the whole nine yards, including a wood stove.. We'd pull the truck in one end, and by the time we got to the other end the meat was in the freezer. I sure miss those days!

WOW thats too nutty for this old gal, cant you just shoot them from a stand? yeezus I would be scared for my dogs and everyone else Lol nah you're a tough cookie woman!! I suppose we could,but that's not nearly as fun! Now due to our injuries,we now only do this a couple times a year. It's just too hard on us physically anymore. We love it though and we've already had to sacrifice so many things we enjoy because of our injuries. We are determined to not let our accident take away everything that makes us who we are. Even if it hurts like hell!!
do you need special tags licenses? in both states then I guess? Oopsie! I accidentally answered this in another post. I was trying to do the multiple thingy. See what happens when I don't know what I'm doing?! Sorry I'm learning. Read my answer a post or two behind this one.
1f64f.png
:hugs :thumbsup both of you gals! I love this thread and those it brings together!! AWEEEEEEEEE!! Me too!
Hey thanks a lot.
why whuts going on? they would be mixed in all the other candle images in the notes [/quote] Omgosh what the??!! I tried to answer each posting from you Sally but some how I'm in your quote.
1f629.png
1f629.png
1f629.png
Can you understand where I was responding?

Last edited:

Yes in Ga as well. Because they're considered a nuisance. It's also the same in SC. Idk where there would be an actual season? Ohhhh you have to talk HIM into it?? Hmmmm what's your number? I'll help you!!! Lol yes we always carry a loaded pistol. We have only had to take out a few this way that were out of control.

:

haha, it's not that he can't go hunting.... but he has no real desire to butcher or pay someone else ot butcher. I've had a hard time talking him into butchering our turkey's when I get our flock going since I love turkey meat ;o LOL

Ohh ok. I understand that. We usually do our own. Can't afford the processor. Someday we hope to have all of our own processing supplies.

I hang them up in the barn with a chain hoist (best thing since sliced bread for hauling a deer up off the ground), skin & quarter them right there, then carry them down to the DR table to cut them into whatever we want, with the grinder right there. Stick them in Seal A Meal bags, label & date them, and in the freezers they go. Usually 4 of us for the cutting, grinding, & bagging. Used to have a friend (dead now) who'd converted an old chicken house into a deer processing plant; electric, water, saws, table for salting hides being shipped for coats, vest, gloves, etc; the whole nine yards, including a wood stove.. We'd pull the truck in one end, and by the time we got to the other end the meat was in the freezer. I sure miss those days!

Woah!!! That is super awesome!! See? That's what I want. Something simple. But something that'll work. Efficiently. Too neat.

That was a very nice set up.

We got some rain today. :yesss:

1/100 of an inch. If that. But hey it's a start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom