INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
e​
Sorry was checking on her. Ok my hen found a way out of her pen with her chicks. One of my fat mean roosters somehow hurt one. I believe he pecked it. Now she's walking funny. Stumbling all over. Cannot keep up with mama and siblings. She extending her right leg but I've checked her all over. No puncture wounds,no blood,nothing. She's got feeling in her legs and feet and toes. She pulls them in when I gently extend them. She grips my fingers with her feet when I pick her up. I've moved them into the pen and she's actually starting to walk! A lot better,still stumbling on the pine straw but showing improvement. Any suggestions? How do I help or do I allow her to heal on her own and the problem will correct itself? Will mama try to kill her due to her weakness and her subjecting the group to danger? Awe this breaks my heart!!!!
1f494.png
1f494.png
1f494.png
[/quotes ev

I've found that keeping them with their group is better than isolation if you can keep them in a somewhat confined area. I put one of my weaker babies that I had to help hatch with my broody that hatched 2 of her own. It is doing well and she treats it like the others. Maybe it got shaken up and that's why it's off balance?? I would say just keep an eye on it. Try not to let it do too much. I always think " if I was hurt I wouldn't want to be all alone but I would just want to rest." Hope it heals quick!!!

Oh I didn't see this I'm sorry. I agree. That makes perfect sense. So since the accident,I've checked on her a ka-ton!!! That's a lot ok! She's showing improvement!! Balancing better,standing and walking. A bit wobbly but hey she's only a couple days old still! And she just about got crunched by a big,fat,mean ask Roo!! Did I mention he was fat? Yea....was. So I'm gonna leave her be. She's currently nestled up under mama with her 7 sibs.
263a.png
263a.png
263a.png
I'm praying by tomorrow,she'll be 100%!! Thanks so much for your heart.

I don't have one honey. I've only ever hatched under a broody. Now what???
1f629.png
1f62d.png
. I can bring her in. I've done it before. I used a cat carrier. Sanitized of course. And covered up a heating pad with pine chips. Had food and water inside. Would that work? For how long before I can hopefully reunite her with her family?

My only concern with the heat pad is the chicks ability to find a cooler spot if necessary. Those things can get quite warm even on low. I've not had a wounded chick with a broody before so I don't know if the hen will mess with it.

Absolutely!! Thing with my heating pad is it has like spots where it's not the exact temp as another. Like the center is hot,but the outer edges are not as hot. I did it with two newborns once before. Wait....twice! I forgot about one other time. I was sooooo very careful with the whole heat thing. But,I've decided she needs to stay with mom. She's not hurt badly enough to take her from Brownie. With the help of a friend.....
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
,don't know if they'd want to be mentioned,but I was able to make what I believe was the best decision for her. Plus,she's showing much improvement! Yay!!! Thanks babe!!

Last edited:
Absolutely!! Thing with my heating pad is it has like spots where it's not the exact temp as another. Like the center is hot,but the outer edges are as hot. I did it with two newborns once before. Wait....twice! I forgot about one other time. I was sooooo very careful with the whole heat thing. But,I've decided she needs to stay with mom. She's not hurt badly enough to take her from Brownie. With the help of a friend.....
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
,don't know if they'd want to be mentioned,but I was able to make what I believe was the best decision for her. Plus,she's showing much improvement! Yay!!! Thanks babe!!

Glad she was able to stay. Much better.

Absolutely!! Thing with my heating pad is it has like spots where it's not the exact temp as another. Like the center is hot,but the outer edges are as hot. I did it with two newborns once before. Wait....twice! I forgot about one other time. I was sooooo very careful with the whole heat thing. But,I've decided she needs to stay with mom. She's not hurt badly enough to take her from Brownie. With the help of a friend.....
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

Glad she was able to stay. Much better.

I am too. I trust God with what is His creation. He's just in trusting her to me. He's got this!! Thank you dear.

see below!

WOW I hope you dont as well!

I sure wish you were closer!  I would take those turkey and give you this batch of serama that are hatching!!  are you sure you cant talk them into a trip to cabelas and a pit stop along the way?  I am just off the interstate too!! 

sweet!!!
[/URL]

If I can talk them into coming I will defiantly let you know I just dont want to try eggs again as only two made it close to hatching so I don't want to go down that road as I don't want to buy eggs and nothing hatch again and I can't except any more eggs for free. That's why I have been looking for a breeder but people don't update there websites and then you message these people and they all say they don't breed chickens anymore or something. And yes I hope so also as we haven't seen our cat that lives outside since last night so I hope he shows up but he is getting up there in years I hope he didn't run off and die or the fox got him. And my dad isn't very happy right now since I have my eggs in he incubator and a third one hatched last night he just look at me. So I told him if I can get a breeding pair of seramas I will sell some of these chicks but I don't think that's going to happen because I am already getting to attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom