INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, I'm def going. My aunt has a cabin in TN near a stretch of AT, so we've talked about that, too. I have bone degeneration in my feet so I don't know how much I can do, but I'll never know until I try!

ibuprofen was my vitamin "I" when I hiked the AT. got up as high as 2400 mg per day and the pain was still there. My wife still hikes but I quit.
can't do 8 miles without too much pain

Hi everybody!! I'm home from Fowlfest. It was AWESOME!!! I saw so many different breeds for birds (chickens, ducks and geese), ate really well and lots of tasty adult beverages! What a relaxing weekend. I am so proud of my Seramas. I wasn't planning on showing anything because with my hand I hadn't had a chance to work with them on the table & thought it would be too much carrying and lifting. But my friends Jenn & Laureen (my breeder) stepped up to the plate and helped me out. I bought 2 new birds from Laureen and her friends helped me & taught me how to groom them for show. But I wanted to take the birds I "raised" too just for experience. We gave them a quick once over at the show but the minute they hit the cage they looked "ready". Fuzz my cockerel was strutting and crowing & Peck my pullet was standing tall. At least I know I wouldn't be completely embarrassed. And then they hit the table and wow! Fuzz came on strong and full of personality like he had been doing it for years and Peck was shy at first but placed in the top 4 so she got to go to the final 4 for pullets. Thats when the magic happened. She took on the dominant hen role and stood perfectly straight with her chest out like she owned the table. Peck got Champion Pullet & Fuzz got Reserve Cockerel but then the judge asked to see Fuzz back and I wondered what happened. He went up against the top hen and Champion cockerel and won reserve Champion of Show of the ASA Nationals!
yippiechickie.gif
yesss.gif
celebrate.gif
bun.gif

I learned so much from my new friends, different breeders and judges-so much great constructive criticism on owning, raising and breeding chickens. it gave me a whole new insight to my hobby that I am already so passionate about. My friend Jenn also had a great time and is going to get her kids involved in the junior division. Sorry that this post is so long but I consider my BYC friends my "fowl family" & wanted to share my excitement with all of you. Beware of new avatar pic coming soon!!!!! Thank you al for your friendship, support and knowledge-it means the world to me!!!!!
love.gif
The post wasn't too long. It was fun to read. I'm glad it went so well. Just think, if it didn't go so well, you'd be thinking about a different hobby.

I'd be keeping track of all that down time & deducting it from what I owed on the next bill
I do that too with the cable company (phone, TV and internet) but it is usually only out for a day so the hassle of getting my $2 back usually isn't worth the time.

She's paying a premium price for Hughesnet Gen4, as am I, and should be getting premium service. I'm wondering if the installers aimed the dish properly.
Poor girl spends more time down than she does up.
You're on satellite too?
How is it working for you?

Typical football Sunday. Packers on in a few minutes
I'm off of football this year. Mad about the Rams leaving - as bad as they were. Just another excellent reason to hate Walmart.

Anyone here speak Spanish? I have a translation favor. Nothing major, just a few words.
cool.png

-Kathy
Lay it on us.

Howdy my chicken friends.... Hope the thread is working okay now.
Is getting cold here.... Had out first frost although it was a month late.
God everyone here is doing good. I'm still weak that flu took a lot out of me. But getting better. Still haven't got back out fishing but after i get finished with changing the motor in Kacys Jeep in gonna get out and take a little time for myself.
I candled my Ayam Cemani eggs a few had bigger air cells than i like so i added another wet sponge to raise humidity.... Last time i candled they were too small. So hopefully I'm doing the right thing.....
fl.gif
It appears to be over the hump.
It was 89 four days ago, only to hit 41 two nights later. I'm wrapped in a blanket with the window open next to me right now.
You could have kept the garden going longer if you had known. (global warming)
Sounds like you're doing well on the eggs. What day are they on?

"poop inspector"

-Kathy
Lots of words you can use but inspector is inspector. Caca is the closest you'll get. Other things are colloquialisms or country specific slang. One that is sometimes used is popo but that actually means derriere, the stern of a boat or what's in a baby's diaper.
I know you probably wanted something more exotic but inspector de caca is as close as you'll get because caca is excrement.
Other things would probably be more vulgar but paired with inspector wouldn't make sense. Things like frijoles (beans) or zurullo (lump). The latter is more offensive.

What may be close is guácala de pollo which means gross but literally chicken yuck! So guácala de pollo inspector.
Perhaps you should change from inspector to medical inspector, in which case it would be 'forense'.
Caca forense or guácala de pollo forense.

Just say this amazing video of a nine year old girl:
What a mature voice.

My 10th grade Spanish teacher was a very proper older woman, direct from Spain, who spoke Castilian dialect Spanish,,, didn't teach us any slang
lau.gif
No sense of humor at all!
That's normally the case. Living in Germany, they wouldn't teach me any vulgar terms because they didn't want me coming back to the US cussing in German.
I learned Castilian Spanish as well. Similar to HochDeutsch in that it is proper and what is taught in schools. Any German speaker should know it, but lots of dissimilarities between dialects in the north (Bremerhaven), east (Berlin), Bavaria, Austria or Switzerland and formal German is not what most German speakers grow up speaking.

I find language very interesting. I just wish I had embraced learning other writing systems earlier in life. I can't even handle the Cyrillic alphabet. As a result, I'm stuck with Western languages.

Natives of Spanish speaking countries would understand someone speaking Castilian Spanish.
But the reverse is not true. Every country south of the US except Brazil and the Guyanas are Spanish speaking, as well as several in the Caribbean. Each country has its own official version of Spanish (i.e. Guatamalan Spanish). In addition, each country not only has local dialects but also different accents. Ecuador has 9 dialects and each with their own accent. Most importantly, one must know the Spanish idioms of your country of choice for comfortable communication.
Over the last several centuries, some of those countries were isolated from each other, especially Peru and Costa Rica. A good portion of Costa Rican Spanish is archaic, dating back to the Spanish conquest. and usted, are the familiar and formal forms of the pronoun 'you'. However, one never hears tu in CR. The archaic 'vos' is used instead.
Add to that the slang and it's tough.
In most of these countries there are many terms one would never find in a Spanish - English dictionary.
Lots of Mexican words come from Mayan and Aztec just like other Latin American countries have adopted words from their indigenous peoples.
In Peru, Suzuki (a perversion of the Spanish 'sucio') means dirty. A tombo = policeman. A vendor will often throw in a little extra when selling something, it's called a 'yapa' or tip. It comes from the Quechua Indian language. It made its way to the US via Spanish Creoles and is now both a gulf coast English and Louisiana French word - lagniappe, heard all around Louisiana and especially New Orleans meaning a little extra in an exchange for goods. Kind of like a baker's dozen.

Costa Rican idioms are a challenge till you get to know them.
The national dish, 'Gallo Pinto' (rice and beans) served with every meal literally means spotted rooster. Costa Ricans are called Ticos, Nicaraguans are called Nicos. I forget what Panamanians are called but it is usually derogatory rather than Tico which is a term of endearment. Mas Tico que el gallo pinto. (more Costa Rican than spotted rooster)
Pura Vida would be something like that. It's an expression meaning Pure Life that you'll hear all day every day and in my mind it refers to the friendly culture in an environmentally friendly environment and a country with no standing army.
With no Spanish equivalent, 'mae' means dude and heard all the time among friends.
Brete (eng. work) doesn't show up in a dictionary. Work and play are important. Hence the phrase 'mucho brete, gracias a Dios'. Lots of work, thank God.
Media Naranja (eng. half orange) means my better half, spouse or soul mate.
Doing something offensively inappropriate will get you 'orinar fuera del tarro' (to pee outside the can).

At my Spanish Language meetup I met a young black man in his late 20s, a native English speaker from here in the US and we were discussing dialects. His knowledge of each Central and South American country's dialects including the Caribbean like Hispaniola, Puerto Rico and Cuba was amazing. I'll never know that much. How does someone do that?
I was always amazed at the number of languages my foreign exchange students could speak. Most were fluent in 3 but some spoke 7 or 8. That isn't the same thing as knowing all the dialects but equally impressive.

I guess I better be done boring everyone for today.

No. Not doing any hog hunting right now. It's all about DEER!!! Until January 1st!!! The hurricane hit us harder than anyone anticipated. I'm inland a ways,but we lost power for several hours. Our entire city went dark. Several down trees on our land. The winds were severe. The rain was great. It was terrible. Had to go out in it to check on my babies!!! They were a bit freaked out. All safe however. Thank the Lord! I'm asking for prayers for the millions on the coast who have suffered and are still suffering. It is absolutely devastating the wrath this storm left behind. And is still affecting people in the northeast. Please keep these people in your thoughts. And remember,always count your blessings. It could always be worse.
God bless,
Glory
Rough weather you've had. Looks like recovery time now.
On the Weather Channel I saw a satellite view of the Florida and GA coast the night before the storm. It was all lit up. The next night, it was all black on the east side of FL.

I remember 21 years ago writing a letter to Glad telling them their trash bags were garbage anymore. Yada yada. They still are. DH bought some a few years ago. The flex kind with febreeze. Not only did they tear too easy, but they attracted maggots. A few weeks ago, Glad was all the store had.
rant.gif
Each bag has leaked. In addition to all I had to do before bed, I also had to mop the kitchen, clean the garbage can, and tomorrow I have to use the carpet scrubber (so glad I have one!!).
Goodnight, people! See you in a few hours!
It attracted flies. The flies laid eggs and gave you maggots.

Didn't see your post!
lol.png

It is "mierda" I can't distinguishe the Suttle differences between "poop" and" sheet "for me they smell equal!
lau.gif

Merda-Italian
Merd- France
I can give you more terms for the latter. Some make sense, some don't.

Morning everybody
I meant to offer my condolences for the duckling you stepped on. That had to be bad.
A day later I had to put a chick down. I had put him out in the coop with his hatchmates. About a week later, I noticed he wasn't very mobile. He could walk but awkwardly and he was more comfortable sitting still.
I brought him back inside to be a tutor for later hatches and I though not getting trampled would give him a chance to at least put on some weight. He would eat and drink but just didn't grow. He was only 250 grams at 12 weeks old last week when I finally put him down. I haven't weighed them but I think his hatchmates are 2 to 3 pounds.

I need help! I need to come up with ideas for my daughter's birthday for my mom in law to get her, that's not a gigantic trampoline.

Suggestions?

Pools, and trampolines and things of that nature are off limits. With the kids I have, someone would die. haha I like being able to let them run around outside unsupervised, and both of those would take that option away :eek:

Edit : What my daughter wants for her birthday is a baby horse. But my mom in law would never do that. haha
Books, camera, Rookie Yearbook (for tween girls), soccer ball, journal, archery, guitar,

Tell her to buy them a cage to run around in.

Morning. How are you?
or a tether

LOL! When we first moved here, my grandma totally would sit in our dog kennel with my 2 year old to keep him from getting hurt where she could supervise him. (The dog kennel has been converted to a chicken pen now.)

I routinely joke that I want to fence off part of our yard for toddlers. It's bad enough that we have to watch him because of all the water buckets... he has a thing for putting rocks in the water buckets, and stripping naked to climb into anything big enough for him to sit in and splash.

He's a boy! what can I say? lol

I was playing wow this morning (world of warcraft) and trying to wake up enough to get some work done for a client. He was pestering me about being too slow on my latest project, so I have to try to get it done over the next couple of days.

That's about it. ;o
toddler pen is a splendid idea.

true, I had to make a rule that my oldest daughter at least had to have underwear on, if she was getting wet, because she's getting too old to strip naked. She likes sprinklers though.

Did you see that article on the 10 year old boy who got set on fire by peers from his school? :( So sad.
If you're in the boonies with no one around, it doesn't matter.
If a tree falls in the forest with no one around, no one knows it happens.

golly, this place is super friendly! i mean, my other threads are nice but everyone here is so nice and family friendly for all ages that come through this thread!
We love you too.

yippiechickie.gif
Hiiiiiiii!!!!!!!
frow.gif

We are on drugs.
That helps some.

Last edited:
Nope, I'm def going. My aunt has a cabin in TN near a stretch of AT, so we've talked about that, too. I have bone degeneration in my feet so I don't know how much I can do, but I'll never know until I try!

What I think;

the best view on the entire AT is a place called "Fire Scald Ridge" about 30 trail miles north of Hot Springs, NC
You can get to within 2 miles of it on Forest Service roads. Stop in the National Forest Service office, Greeneville, TN and have them point you in the right way. if you can remember go to Allen Gap and take the last road north before you cross into NC from TN park at the fire towers on top and hike east to find the AT then north to Fire Scald ridge, blue berries in season

Last edited:

I meant to offer my condolences for the duckling you stepped on. That had to be bad.
A day later I had to put a chick down. I had put him out in the coop with his hatchmates. About a week later, I noticed he wasn't very mobile. He could walk but awkwardly and he was more comfortable sitting still.
I brought him back inside to be a tutor for later hatches and I though not getting trampled would give him a chance to at least put on some weight. He would eat and drink but just didn't grow. He was only 250 grams at 12 weeks old last week when I finally put him down. I haven't weighed them but I think his hatchmates are 2 to 3 pounds.

You have my condolences for the chick you had to put down.

For new hatchlings I like to put them in the basement brooder for about a week. That gives me the ability to keep a better eye on them to make sure that they are thriving. After a week or so they start making more dust so they get kicked outside to the garage brooder.

Meebrong is my first name.
I can't respond to the second part. There is no way to respond without getting into trouble. Though I can tell you that I remember you saying that when you first joined, and that I always call you 'Oh crap!" because that is what your name looks like. :lol:

All of a sudden, "Babbles" seems not-so-bad...

Potatoes!!

all six ayam cimani eggs are still alive. last night I candled and seen two feet with toes wiggling it was awesome

Grats CH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom