INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:smack now you are makin me even more jealous....:lau . I'd love to not have to jump on the bottom of a rubber tub every morning to get out the frozen solid hunk of ice in it!!!

Thought about running a line to the coop... But way too expensive!

PVC isn't that expensive, sweetie. But it has to be buried below the frost line to keep the water from freezing. Burying it is the worst part of running the line, but a water line, deicer, and auto topoff would save you a lot of time and trouble. Just something to think about this winter while you're lugging buckets of water to the coop...     :sick

:rolleyes:
Sometimes I feel like I have a coop from the dark ages.... :gig seems oldfashioned after seeing everyone elses streamlined coops!
I can't belive it....I Never even thought about a 5 gal bucket feeder until I looked it up after seeing a thread here.... So maybe it's me that's from the dark ages! :oops: I always scatter it on the floor or in an extra water bowl. How did I miss this cool stuff??? Am I the only one in the dark? :he
(Not talkin about the PVC not bein expensive, I knew about that! :lol: )

Last edited:
roll.png

Sometimes I feel like I have a coop from the dark ages....
gig.gif
never even knew this cool stuff was availible!
Wanna know something else? Never even thought about a PVC feeder until I looked it up after seeing a thread..... So maybe it's me that's from the dark ages!
hide.gif
I always scatter it on the floor or in an extra water bowl. How did I miss this cool stuff???
(Not talkin about the PVC, I knew about that!
lol.png
)
It's okay, Bubbles. You're still young, so we don't expect you to know everything. When you get a little older, you'll start looking for ways to make life a little easier... and in some cases... a lot easier. Live long enough and what seems too expensive now will suddenly seem like a great investment!
old.gif

roll.png

Sometimes I feel like I have a coop from the dark ages....
gig.gif
never even knew this cool stuff was availible!
Wanna know something else? Never even thought about a PVC feeder until I looked it up after seeing a thread..... So maybe it's me that's from the dark ages!
hide.gif
I always scatter it on the floor or in an extra water bowl. How did I miss this cool stuff???
(Not talkin about the PVC, I knew about that!
lol.png
)
I forget...where are you? In the south, like UR, your frost line isn't that deep, so burying the line wouldn't be that big of a deal. If you're not sure about cutting the plugs off, DH should be able to do it, and running the PVC couldn't be simpler.

:rolleyes:

Sometimes I feel like I have a coop from the dark ages.... :gig never even knew this cool stuff was availible!

Wanna know something else? Never even thought about a PVC feeder until I looked it up after seeing a thread..... So maybe it's me that's from the dark ages! :oops: I always scatter it on the floor or in an extra water bowl. How did I miss this cool stuff???

(Not talkin about the PVC, I knew about that! :lol: )

It's okay, Bubbles. You're still young, so we don't expect you to know everything. When you get a little older, you'll start looking for ways to make life a little easier... and in some cases... a lot easier. Live long enough and what seems too expensive now will suddenly seem like a great investment! :old

Hey, I've only had chickens for a little bit now, this is only the 2nd winter...
I need to spend more time reserching feeding chickens, now that I have injuries and deseases down cold!

Ps... Didn't think of that cuz I do almost everything the way my neighbor did it for 7+ years!
Guess she never thought of it either? :idunno

Just seemed easier to keep doin whut I was doin, wasnt bad until I got ducks...!

Last edited:
If my chick is going to die, will it be today or tomorrow or when? When is the "over the ump" time?
I would say 4-5 days if she keeps looking good watch for first poops, butt may or may not start to look really big and fat. sniff the butt some days, sounds gross but do it...

just in case here is this article too I made for this situation.... MIND YOU THAT you can only do what your doing, extra yolks to feed and stuff....

Mushy Chick Disease
Omphalitis
Also known as

Yolk Sack infection

Last edited:
If my chick is going to die, will it be today or tomorrow or when? When is the "over the ump" time?

I would say 4-5 days if she keeps looking good watch for first poops, butt may or may not start to look really big and fat.  sniff the butt some days, sounds gross but do it... 

just in case here is this article too I made for this situation.... MIND YOU THAT you can only do what your doing, extra yolks to feed and stuff.... 

Mushy Chick Disease 
Omphalitis
Also known as

Yolk Sack infection

Ditto what Sally said.

Sally, remind me to tell you about two of my peachicks this year. Scientifically, you might find it interesting. Both died from yolk sac related issues. One had an infection, the other didn't absorb it's yolk and lived for 41 days!

-Kathy

For those that like pictures of blood, pus, etc, got lots of those pictures. Fear not, I won't post them here.

-Kathy

Ditto what Sally said.

Sally, remind me to tell you about two of my peachicks this year. Scientifically, you might find it interesting. Both died from yolk sac related issues. One had an infection, the other didn't absorb it's yolk and lived for 41 days!

-Kathy

oh wow! and it lived that long!!! the poor thing!

For those that like pictures of blood, pus, etc, got lots of those pictures. Fear not, I won't post them here.

-Kathy

these are fine and very wanted too, this is incubation thread first, chat second.....
thumbsup.gif

just add them to warning in spoilers with a word of caution

Last edited:

-Kathy

these are fine and very wanted too, this is incubation thread first, chat second.....:thumbsup
just add them to warning in spoilers with a word of caution

I'll show them to you first, 'cause they are pretty graphic.

-Kathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom