INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Fahrenheit. I tend to use Fahrenheit when I post here, Celsius can be confusing to those who don't use it every day. Heck, I get the conversion wrong a lot of the time too !
big_smile.png
Nah... you do really good, CC!
thumbsup.gif

And your English translation is superb!!!
lau.gif
gig.gif

:frow Hope everyone is having a good start to their Saturday!

Got a couple new EE mix peeps from the HAL so far... (Some experimental crosses for the mixed layer pen) Looks like I should have 2 walnut comb birds here with the slw X EE cross.

I still have 5 shipped eggs in lockdown on day 19, and 2 test eggs in the Brinsea from the splash Marans roo in my avy on day 15.

frow.gif
Hope everyone is having a good start to their Saturday!

Got a couple new EE mix peeps from the HAL so far... (Some experimental crosses for the mixed layer pen) Looks like I should have 2 walnut comb birds here with the slw X EE cross.

I still have 5 shipped eggs in lockdown on day 19, and 2 test eggs in the Brinsea from the splash Marans roo in my avy on day 15.
Good morning, J&T!!!
frow.gif

Cute chicks you have there! Will be very interesting to see how they feather out! Good luck on the remaining eggs!!!
fl.gif

Good morning, J&T!!!   :frow

Cute chicks you have there! Will be very interesting to see how they feather out! Good luck on the remaining eggs!!!   :fl

Good morning, Ur! Thanks
1f604.png

How's your new barred rock babies doing in their heating pad cave? That's a pretty cool duplex brooder you have going.

Good morning, Ur! Thanks
1f604.png

How's your new barred rock babies doing in their heating pad cave? That's a pretty cool duplex brooder you have going.
I used a large heating pad (12' x 24") for the cave, and moved my 3 week old chicks to the other side of the brooder so the newborn chicks could use the Sweeter Heater. Newborns adapt to the SH immediately. The older chicks were a little leery of the HPC, but went to it as soon as the lights went out. I eased down there about 30 minutes after lights out, and all 15 were snuggled down beneath it. It appears to be working perfectly! I think I've found the perfect solution for staggered hatches (or should I say different aged chicks?).
All the chicks looked happy and healthy this morning!
yesss.gif

Thanks for the compliment, and thanks for asking!!!

Last edited:
I used a large heating pad (12' x 24") for the cave, and moved my 3 week old chicks to the other side of the brooder so the newborn chicks could use the Sweeter Heater. Newborns adapt to the SH immediately. The older chicks were a little leery of the HPC, but went to it as soon as the lights went out. I eased down there about 30 minutes after lights out, and all 15 were snuggled down beneath it. It appears to be working perfectly! I think I've found the perfect solution for staggered hatches (or should I say different aged chicks?).
All the chicks looked happy and healthy this morning!   :yesss:

Thanks for the compliment, and thanks for asking!!!  

Glad your babies are doing well
1f604.png

I have 2 premier heat plates and yes the chicks take right to them and are SO quiet and content! But I really like that heater cave idea for the older chicks too so I can use the heat plates for the youngest ones.

How do you keep your heat pad cave cleaned? I'm guessing they sit on them and poop all over 'em like they do the heat plates. I'm thinking no way I want to dismantle it every few days to wash it.

Glad your babies are doing well
1f604.png

I have 2 premier heat plates and yes the chicks take right to them and are SO quiet and content! But I really like that heater cave idea for the older chicks too so I can use the heat plates for the youngest ones.

How do you keep your heat pad cave cleaned? I'm guessing they sit on them and poop all over 'em like they do the heat plates. I'm thinking no way I want to dismantle it every few days to wash it.
Chicks are very quiet with the heat plate... that's for sure. They love it, and I love it! I may have to purchase a larger heat plate or two in the spring when my operation expands. At least that's the plan.

The cave shouldn't be too much trouble for me to keep clean. I had some spare pieces of vinyl flooring, and I cut a piece a little larger than the heat pad and zip tied it over the pad on the ends, then used Gorilla Tape along the edges to seal them off and keep the vinyl from moving. Not likely it would, but the tape also covered the jagged ends where I cut the welded wire and construction cloth. Anything that's waterproof should work for a cover. The original plan I saw for the HPC used a towel covered with Peel-n-stick plastic, but I thought it was a little too thin. Sharp claws would have it torn to shreds once the chicks started scratching it. I think it'll take a long time for them to scratch through heavy vinyl flooring!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom