INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got 2 kinds. The one that shipped first is the Horizontal (Side Mount) Poultry nipples. These:

But I also ordered something like this:

images

I was going to see which ones worked the best.
It dropped my first photo...:

images

Ok guys I'm back with my broody questions!! Sorry but the broody thread is waaaay less active than this one and I am impatient and figured one of you might know...so as I posted yesterday I have a broody sitting on 4 eggs. Its her first time and she is young. Its also MY first time trying with a broody. So yesterday was day 21 and i could hear cracking and peeping. Today is day 22 and I can hear chirping and it looks like her tailfeathers are "wiggling" a little when they chirp but she is still sitting non stop. She had to have gotten up at some point last night because when I checked on her at 6 am there was a giant poo pile in front of the waterer. So...with it being day 22 should I lift her and check? And if there are eggs that havent hatched do I take them? She gives me the mega death stare if I even attempt to go toward her. Also, if I move her (with gloves on because she is a fighter) then will she possibly step on/smush her chicks? What to do, what to do...?

Oh you know women being nice to me. just makes me worry like the calm before the storm or the eye of the hurricane where the wind don't blow and then all at once your upside down . to many storms my young friend to many storms . its ok its all battened down and my line is attached  .:lau

:gig
Don't worry, I really am nice.

Last edited:
Ok guys I'm back with my broody questions!! Sorry but the broody thread is waaaay less active than this one and I am impatient and figured one of you might know...so as I posted yesterday I have a broody sitting on 4 eggs. Its her first time and she is young. Its also MY first time trying with a broody. So yesterday was day 21 and i could hear cracking and peeping. Today is day 22 and I can hear chirping and it looks like her tailfeathers are "wiggling" a little when they chirp but she is still sitting non stop. She had to have gotten up at some point last night because when I checked on her at 6 am there was a giant poo pile in front of the waterer. So...with it being day 22 should I lift her and check? And if there are eggs that havent hatched do I take them? She gives me the mega death stare if I even attempt to go toward her. Also, if I move her (with gloves on because she is a fighter) then will she possibly step on/smush her chicks? What to do, what to do...?

this is a up to you thing some may have hatched . if you can't get close then how do you know ? wait another two days is what I would do let her finish the hatch .she will leave the nest when she is done. If all don't hatch candle any that don't

Last edited:
I learned a valuable lesson this afternoon. Awhile back I bought a 2-quart jug with lid from the dollar store, and installed 3 horizontal nipples on it for my older chicks. Keeps the water clean, and the brooder dry... perfect. It's worked great for the last week, and I filled it up last night. This evening when I went down to the basement, I noticed the older chicks were a little noisier than normal. They normally run to the front of the brooder, waiting to be hand-fed clover... but this seemed different. I finished installing the de-icer in the water bucket in the run outside, and came back to look at the chicks one more time. I noticed they were pecking at the water nipples, but I didn't see any water in the little troughs, and none were raising their heads to swallow. The container was still completely full. Hmmm. I opened the brooder and poked some of the nipples, and could see the valve going in the container, but no water was coming out. I popped the little cover over the spout up, and tried again. This time water started coming out. It only took a second before the chicks realized there was water, and I've seen videos of feeding piranhas that paled in comparison to the frenzy those chicks displayed. I felt horrible! Those poor babies haven't had water since last night, and it was 5 pm when I realized there was a problem. The lesson I learned is if you have a water container with nipples, MAKE SURE IT'S VENTED!!!

15 chicks drank about a pint of water in less than 30 minutes, and have settled down. It's a good thing I check on them several times daily, or I might have missed spotting the problem... which could have ended in disaster. That was too close for comfort!!!
good thing you caught it Joey!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

@Sally Sunshine they are coming from NY
and your in NC, not too bad, last batch came from 1.5 hours from my house and nasty air cells.
Quote: thanks! He is a happy boy! loves water!!

I am running on an hour of sleep from last night, I dont use these thermostats
@BYC910 ANY suggestions for calibration? @fire370

Quote: oh K, you better go check your lines again

not sure what to tell you, but I would carefully lift her straight upright and KNOW that she could have chicks in her wings or stuck to her and be careful not to have them drop or smoosh them against her body under her wing. and if there are leftover eggs grab them out (maybe get help?) candle them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom