INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping to set eggs in the next day or two.
My oldest rooster dropped dead Saturday. I'm collecting his eggs but the weather isn't cooperating. It was 6F last night and some of the eggs have gotten very cold. Some were frozen. There are only 6 hens of the same breed in his pen.

He literally dropped dead and it couldn't have happened at a worse time. Noon Saturday on a holiday weekend. The post office was going to close in 2 hours.
I went there to see if I could express mail a package to the vet school. Express shipping deadline had already passed. By the time I left there I had to figure out how to insulate and refrigerate a box. I didn't have any ice packs. Went to Target and bought 4 little ones that would fit into holes cut in the insulation but realized I couldn't get them frozen in time. Went to Cold Stone Creamery to see if I could buy some dry ice. Found out they don't use it after standing in line 15 minutes. Checked the submission page on the school's website and decided to call them for direction.
They took my number and had the student on call return my call. She said they did necropsies Saturday morning but wouldn't do any more that day. They had a dead dog so would likely do some Sunday morning. I decided to drive the bird up there after I locked up Saturday evening since she was on call till 8AM Sunday and would meet me at the lab whenever I got there.
I drove up there (3 hours one way) dropped him off, filled out the forms. The vet student said the mammalian pathologist would be doing the dog necropsy in the morning but the avian pathologist didn't like working weekends and she didn't know if she could talk him into coming in. She said if he didn't, the necropsy wouldn't be done till Tuesday morning because of MLK day. With today's gas prices (discounting the time it took), driving the bird there was cheaper then shipping. I think it is great that they have someone on call for emergencies.

The rooster came out with his flock in the morning. I saw him eating feed, kale, drinking and dancing around hens.
2 minutes later I walked past the pen and he was dead.

Here's the reason I'm setting in the next couple days.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...xing-moon-in-fruitful-signs-hal#post_16404342

I'll continue to collect his eggs another week or two.
hugs.gif
so sorry to hear about your rooster. I will be setting some Muscovy eggs a couple of days. Going to your link now.

MARKING AIR CELLS DAY 18

Candle day 18 is to determine growth, weigh, pencil mark air cell size and dispose bad eggs. It will look pretty dark and FULL in there! You may or may not see movement on this candle. Its ok if not, don’t panic! The chick may easily be resting! The embryo now occupies most of space within the egg, but NOT the air cell, the beak is against the inner shell membrane and ready to pierce it.

See how that air cell is beginning to dip more to one side and if you lay the egg down it will roll into the hatching position. I set my eggs with lowest dip in the aircell up. This position for hatching is good so the chick is able to turn into position and I can easily see my pips too! Setting eggs horizontal in the hatcher actually can aid a chick to hatch 1-2 hours earlier. (HOWEVER, shipped eggs that have had loose air cells or saddle air cells, should be hatched upright but tilted just enough so that the lowest dip is somewhat upright, so if they have fluid in the air cell it may prevent drowning).

AGAIN, I lay my eggs down LOWEST DIP of the AIR CELL UP! see below images, this is the normal and most likely hatching position and the chick will break through or Internally pip and externally pip in that probable area. See the image below with the x, x being lowest dip in air cell and probably pip area/s.

Chick normal hatching position, Where to place your X, Example of chick position/beak in shell
before internal pip drawing below: image below:
drawing below:
LL

GOOD LOOKING MARKED AIR CELLS and SIZE: images below

LL

LL

WHY LAY HATCHING EGGS HORIZONTAL TOUCHING:
It is now known that the different embryos communicate with each other by a series of clicking sounds, the rate of clicking being the important feature. Ensuring the eggs on the hatching eggs are in contact with each other facilitates the synchronization of hatching where the eggs are incubated in a modern machine. This assists in reducing the time between when the first and last chicks hatch.

DRAW DOWN
BELOW IMAGES & DRAWINGS: Although air cells begin to take this dip/shift appearance slowly throughout the incubation due to weight loss, there is still a big DRAW DOWN just before internal pipping (IP) and you may or may not see this at day 18 candle! DRAW DOWN is when the embryo tucks and pip into the air cell, sometimes during you can see in the high part inside the back they pop up inside as well! good sign!!!
LL
LL

Video of candle below will show DRAW DOWN AND INTERNAL PIP!

0.jpg

0.jpg

THE INTERNAL PIP
Toward the end of standard chicken egg incubation, at approximately day 19, the embryo pierces the air sac membrane with its beak, this is called INTERNAL PIP/PIPPING or (IP) and then has a rest period which could be up to an 24 hour gap before EXTERNAL PIPPING (EP) where the chick pips a crack/rupture in the OUTER SHELL. (Dawes, 1981; Burton and Tullett, 1985),

LL

0.jpg

THE EXTERNAL PIP
The external pip or crack will appear on the 20th Day on the outer shell. AFTER the embryo internally pipped the air sac and became a chick and breathed in air by piercing the air cell, it will rest again which could be up to an 24 hour gap before the final less that hour ZIP/ZIPPING to hatch out of the shell.

EXTERNAL PIP IMAGES will SLOWLY get larger during the rest stage!
LL

I took this piece off and she pushed right out

"THE OTHER ONE too, with the arrow below, if its chirping like mad you may have to check it out. it looks funny for just a pip!"

Its out! the second one without my help thank tha lord!
clap.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom