INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BCM, Crested CL, Bielefelders, lav Orpingtons, silkies, supermarket and the neighbor SLW
You got a whole supermarket stuffed into your 'bator?
ep.gif
How big is that thing, anyway?

Reporting in from Redhill. I for sure do not have enough time to keep up on here. Morning report ...1 of 2 hatchlings is still with us. For all u sciencers thats 50%. Lol. I know now that there is definitely science involved. Postings pics to profile for now. Working on containing the chicken gunja here. Think my spread rate has slowed. Will b on and off today looking and learning from site. And cleaning pens, feeders, water bottles, changing hay, feeding, etc. On and on. I love the chickens though, so it is fun for me.
@Wendy High when you wanna set again, this time we will help you out with calibrating, temps humidity and all that. and you dont need to keep up, just come and go as you please! its your house too! you dont understand the conversation you jumped in just ask! they are sure to fill you in! and remember the links page for help, the following is always at the top of the OP original post of the this thread!!

P.S. - more numbers for some of u..... The 1 live hatchling was set in bator 21 days ago today, bout 3 pm.....with 13 others. So total of 14 set. No I did not do very much right.....water, temp, humidity, washing, etc.....so i am thankful at this point I have one. Am definitely changing my ways on backyard chicken raising.
UPDATE:

I have pulled extremely helpful NOTES, LINKS &

Informational Post Links from this entire thread

for EVERYONE'S convenience and will continue to put them HERE:

Panic! I just woke up and my humidity dropped to 23% at some point in the night!!! I'm on day 3 with 44 eggs. Please tell me they'll be ok. It was 48% went I went to bed
Shellee!! the first week you can keep it between 18% and 30 35% you are fine! a day isnt gonna kill your hatch! 48% is too high!!

Typically depending on the eggs set you will start around 35% for standard eggs, its ok to have drops as low as 18% then add a tad of water!

This will vary between breeds, size of eggs, for example smaller eggs like my tiny serama in MY AREA IN MY HOME IN MY BATOR WITH MY FAN I have to run 55% to get the correct weight loss and then 70-75 during hatch.... So the idea is to run around 35% and candle day 7 and adjust as necessary making adjustments as you go never letting it go below 18-20% and then for lockdown again depending on weight loss, going 65-75 during lockdown.... IT ALL DEPENDS on WHAT THAT EGG NEEDS IN THE CONDITION IT IS IN... ONLY YOU KNOW THAT... YOUR HOME YOUR BATOR YOUR EGGS!

HUMIDITY
The Air Bubble in the Egg

The average chicken egg has thousands of pores running through the shell allowing the embryo to exchange oxygen, carbon dioxide. and water. Soon after an egg is laid, a small air bubble or “air cell” forms in the large end of the egg from this water loss. Humidity levels in the incubator determine moisture evaporation during the 21 days of incubation and hatching. The air cell is crucial for the chick to break out of the egg shell at the end of the incubation period. The chick can drown if the air cell is too small or the chick may be retarded in growth if the air cell is too large. This is why maintaining the proper humidity is crucial. Slightly lower humidity levels are more likely to be less disastrous than slightly higher humidity levels. There are quite a few opinions on Humidity, but it is no set number.
images

Humidity is NOT A SET NUMBER, you need it YES!
However, you use it as a tool to "adjust" egg weight loss during incubation. We candle on days 7,10,14,18 To WATCH WEIGHT LOSS IN EVERY EGG! An EGG MUST lose approximately 13-14% of its weight during the incubation process. THIS IS YOUR GOAL!! You can monitor this by marking Air cells and also by weighing. Please refer to CANDLING section of this Hatching Eggs 101 Article for more Air Cell info.

Size of air cell on day 7, 14, and 18 of incubation

WHY to MEASURE WEIGHT LOSS IN EGGS,

MEASURING PROCEDURES (HOW TO), HOW TO CALCULATE, and HOW to interpret RESULTS
http://www.aviagen.com/assets/Tech_Center/BB_Resources_Tools/AA_How_Tos/AAHowto1WaterLossEN13.pdf

I choose the easier method, keeping a close eye on air cell growth during incubation. You begin by ONLY adding a small amount of water and keep Humidity between 20%-30% and adjusting as you weigh or candle depending on moisture loss. IN SOME AREAS OF THE COUNTRY YOU MAY NOT NEED TO ADD ANY WATER! USE IT AS A TOOL FOR THE CORRECT WEIGHT LOSS IN THE EGG! So if your air cells look too large at each candle period you must add some humidity, too small air cell lower it, and if your weighing you adjust as needed. UNTIL DAY 18 LOCKDOWN,
then stop turning and raise humidity to 65-70%

UNDERSTANDING HUMIDITY

Views of Day 18 Candle.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom