INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!!!
frow.gif

Okay, I have a question for the experts. I know a lot of people have been hatching chicks before and after the NY HAL... so have I... which leads to my question: How soon can chicks be moved outdoors into an unheated coop/run in winter? I have 15 8-week old BR's that appear to be fully feathered out, but the only thing that concerns me is they've lived their entire 8 weeks in my basement that consistently stays 65F-70F, so they're not used to broad temp swings. It was 74F today and tonight will be 62F, but it will be getting colder Wednesday 61F/33F, Thursday 51F/25F, Friday 53F/28F, etc. I had hoped to have the grow-out pen completed by now, but there was a long delay Sunday (I didn't work on it), so it looks like it'll be Wednesday be fore it's completed... just in time for the colder temps to move in? It looks like those lows will be around for a couple of weeks, but I need to move the bigger chicks out of the basement ASAP...
Sweeter Heater?

Very cool. Pen math is much worse (and more expensive) than chicken math. I collect (among other things) antique Pelican and Waterman pens - but I haven't acquired anything in ages. Here is my terrifying ink stash, as well as the references I use for pen identification. 

- Ant Farm

I can imagine the antiques being expensive. Making them is much like hatching a mixed breed chick you don't know what it will turn till you turn off the lathe.

How are the naked necks doing for you. Where did you get them from

I can imagine the antiques being expensive. Making them is much like hatching a mixed breed chick you don't know what it will turn till you turn off the lathe.

How are the naked necks doing for you. Where did you get them from

What's nice is that pens were always meant to be used. I write with everything I have. It's kinda neat. I swear an old Pelican school pen beats anything made today...

Naked Necks are awesome, as always. Apoc (NN rooster) is trying to convince me to do a Naked Neck/Cream Legbar cross (he loves the look of those ladies). The girls are starting to lay at 20 weeks. I got them from Ideal. Varied sizes and colors (which I like).
thumbsup.gif

- Ant Farm

Ok, this is based on corn at 10% and an overall of 18.1%. Our corn here can be as high as 12% but I always figure 10% to be conservative.

1200# corn (rolled)
400# soybean meal
200# oats (crimped or whole)
100# milo (whole)
50# fish meal
25# calcium
20# Brewers yeast
20# molasses
10# salt w/ trace elements

When I add 100# of BOSS's to the mix, I drop the soybean content to 300#. You can also use NutriBalance in lieu of the Brewers yeast and salt. Also if you wanted to spring for roasted soybeans, you can delete the fish meal.

Happy to answer any questions.

Here ya go @Fire Ant Farm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom