INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Chaos18 @Sally Sunshine thanks,
I was planning to order from the guy you posted about Sally and cmom when eggs are ready. I will never be a serious breeder as I lack the time and visual abilities necessary. I would like to have a nice group of birds and be able to sell some. The same will go for a couple of other types like EE, clb,Sapphire and maybe a few Barred Rock and Welsummer for olive eggers and sexlinks.
Ok dick is good, I agree with chaos on the asking and shipping despite how much he sells. offer to give a few dollars extra. ask for more eggs. nothing is ever set in stone. Ask him how many breeder hens he has, communication good for everyone. wink

Quote: x2 loveeeeeeee him, gonna steal him and hug him and tickle him!! dont wanna sound like a nut case but I adore kiddos you know that lol

Who has the link for how much weight an egg should lose before lockdown? Is it 15%?
can I see your air cells? when I actually weighed we realized my eye lost more than 13 14 percent.

Quote: I think that is too little loss from reading everyone that weighed during all this reading and following. benny a good example

Quote:

Well DANG. Air cells were ok, I thought, but they've lost 22% of their weight. It's day 15.
again can I see air cells?

thank you @Saris Go babies go!! do you need a higher lumens flashlight?

Possibly, some of the harder ones to see into have larger pores than the rest if you know what I mean. and the contrast of the darker and brighter spots makes picking out veins pretty tough.

Ok dick is good, I agree with chaos on the asking and shipping despite how much he sells. offer to give a few dollars extra. ask for more eggs. nothing is ever set in stone. Ask him how many breeder hens he has, communication good for everyone. wink
Are you feeling ok? Just asking cause you agreed with me.......that's all
bun.gif

@Sally Sunshine
Hey, Kid
Just discovered what I believe is a small problem, but I wanted to check. Just noticed blood smeared on the inside of the tube where the birds access the feed in the PVC gravity feeder. Wasn't there earlier this afternoon. It came from the new rooster (only the 2nd day in with the hens). He's got a small place on one of the points of his comb that has fresh blood on it, but it isn't bleeding now. There's nothing in the run to account for it, so I suspect one of the hens did it.

Sound like anything to be concerned about?

@Sally Sunshine
Hey, Kid
Just discovered what I believe is a small problem, but I wanted to check. Just noticed blood smeared on the inside of the tube where the birds access the feed in the PVC gravity feeder. Wasn't there earlier this afternoon. It came from the new rooster (only the 2nd day in with the hens). He's got a small place on one of the points of his comb that has fresh blood on it, but it isn't bleeding now. There's nothing in the run to account for it, so I suspect one of the hens did it.

I dont think so, Jerry tends to always get his comb one way or another and there is lots of blood but then it heals up real fast.

@Sally Sunshine
Hey, Kid

Doesn't sound like anything major. Maybe he cut it trying to figure out the new feeder. I'd just keep an eye on it to make sure the girls don't start picking at it.

Quote:
I found it in the hatching 101....

Humidity is NOT A SET NUMBER, you need it YES!
However, you use it as a tool to "adjust" egg weight loss during incubation. We candle on days 7,10,14,18 To WATCH WEIGHT LOSS IN EVERY EGG! An EGG MUST lose approximately 13-14% of its weight during the incubation process. THIS IS YOUR GOAL!! You can monitor this by marking Air cells and also by weighing. Please refer to CANDLING section of this Article for more Air Cell info.

Ok, could someone help me understand this quote. I know you didn't say it Jessimom, but someone did, and I don't see how its entirely correct. I agree, eggs should lose 13-14% of their weight over the 21 days. Its the "every egg" part I have issue with.

How do you adjust the humidity for one egg versus another in the same bator? I weigh by tray, or even by bator load. Some eggs are naturally going to be more porous than others, and they will lose more weight than the rest no matter where your humidity is at. Making adjustments for the ones the most off from ideal surely must hurt others.
Further, so many candlings don't really serve a purpose do they?, other than satisfying that need to check...
pop.gif
I candle on day 10...imo clears aren't going to be found after that date, and most deaths after day 10 aren't going to result in a red ring...they'll be a dead mass instead...almost indistinguishable (in my brown eggs) from a developing chick other than they no longer move.

@Sally Sunshine , I know the article is yours, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom