INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he will be fine

I dont think they will his comb is red.
Kinda what I thought, only I never thought about the comb also being red....that's what you get paid the big bucks for, Dear
tongue.png

BTW, you like how I explained the problem in the original post, rather than simply "Ms.Sally Sunshine....HELP!" ?
lau.gif

Quote:

@campingshaws I loose much more weight than 13 14% again everyone on here that has weighed with us had wet goopy jelly chicks.
@BENNY

LET me say this.....

If your hatching shipped eggs I personally feel weighing them is useless, you have NOT A CLUE how old or how much they have already lost. Also air cells vary so much with shipped eggs.

So do our own eggs, when hatcheries incubate they typically would set pretty close to age eggs and same breed! We need to ALWAYS REMEMBER TO THINK OUT OF THAT COMMERCIAL INDUSTRIES STANDARDS! I realize I have that written in the article, its information that is standard. I DON'T WEIGH EGGS!!! When I did I lost 15+ percent per egg! and I weighed individually! look at everyone that weighed so far on the thread and had 13 percent weight loss and had big wet yellow goopy chicks! I dont think anyone that weighed had shown us a good clean hatch, PLEASE pull the posts if we had! would love to read them again!

We have many more variables than that of hatcheries, BREED alone changes the rules! Do you all remember the discussion on how the egg HUMIDITY EDIT NOT TEMPS to loose weight. We mix breeds in the bator all the time! We set clutches of eggs meaning we have different weight loss before incubation therefor weighing the tray must give us an average, but the average of what? @ChickenCanoe needs input here as I believe he weighs and not sure if he does several breeds at one time etc. I refuse to weigh eggs because I hatch all sorta eggs old new shipped, different breeds.

So these are my THOUGHTS from experience with incubation, I DO NOT WEIGH, and I dont have faith in weighing either because of the reasons above.

so should I go hide now?

Last edited:

Quote:

I found it in the hatching 101....

[COLOR=333333]Humidity is [COLOR=FF0000]NOT A SET NUMBER, you need it YES![/COLOR][/COLOR]​
[COLOR=333333]However, you use it as a tool to "adjust" egg weight loss during incubation. [COLOR=FF0000]We candle on days 7,10,14,18 To WATCH WEIGHT LOSS IN EVERY EGG!  An EGG MUST lose approximately 13-14% of its weight[/COLOR] during the incubation process. THIS IS YOUR GOAL!! You can monitor this by marking Air cells and also by weighing. Please refer to CANDLING section of this Article for more Air Cell info.[/COLOR]​

Ok, could someone help me understand this quote. I know you didn't say it Jessimom, but someone did, and I don't see how its entirely correct. I agree, eggs should lose 13-14% of their weight over the 21 days. Its the "every egg" part I have issue with.

How do you adjust the humidity for one egg versus another in the same bator? I weigh by tray, or even by bator load. Some eggs are naturally going to be more porous than others, and they will lose more weight than the rest no matter where your humidity is at. Making adjustments for the ones the most off from ideal surely must hurt others.
Further, so many candlings don't really serve a purpose do they?, other than satisfying that need to check...:pop I candle on day 10...imo clears aren't going to be found after that date, and most deaths after day 10 aren't going to result in a red ring...they'll be a dead mass instead...almost indistinguishable (in my brown eggs) from a developing chick other than they no longer move.

@Sally Sunshine
, I know the article is yours, what do you think?

@campingshaws
  I loose much more weight than 13 14% again everyone on here that has weighed with us had wet goopy jelly chicks.  
@BENNY 

LET me say this..... 

If your hatching shipped eggs I personally feel weighing them is useless, you have NOT A CLUE how old or how much they have already lost.  Also air cells vary so much with shipped eggs.

So do our own eggs, when hatcheries incubate they typically would set pretty close to age eggs and same breed!  We need to ALWAYS REMEMBER TO THINK OUT OF THAT COMMERCIAL INDUSTRIES STANDARDS!  I realize I have that written in the article, its information that is standard.  I DON'T WEIGH EGGS!!!  When I did I lost 15+ percent per egg!  and I weighed individually!  look at everyone that weighed so far on the thread and had 13 percent weight loss and had big wet yellow goopy chicks!  I dont think anyone that weighed had shown us a good clean hatch, PLEASE pull the posts if we had! would love to read them again!

We have many more variables than that of hatcheries, BREED alone changes the rules!  Do you all remember the discussion on how the egg shell is created, and how the colors are put on some eggs? example why marans and other dark eggs and green eggs will need lower incubation temps to loose weight. We mix breeds in the bator all the time!  We set clutches of eggs meaning we have different weight loss before incubation therefor weighing the tray must give us an average, but the average of what?  @ChickenCanoe
  needs input here as I believe he weighs and not sure if he does several breeds at one time etc.  I refuse to weigh eggs because I hatch all sorta eggs old new shipped, different breeds.

So these are my THOUGHTS from experience with incubation, I DO NOT WEIGH, and I dont have faith in weighing either because of the reasons above. 

so should I go hide now?   

Nope. :hugs

so should I go hide now? - NO!!!
I have never heard anyone explain things as clearly as you just did Sally! Thank you. I was considering getting a scale to weigh the eggs, but now I'm not in as big a hurry to get one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom