INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: perhaps

Quote:
thoguht you were kiddin lol
Well, the storm that blanketed the entire state blew through without a hitch. I dodged the bullet and live to see another day. Life is good!!!
yesss.gif
good!!!

Quote: lol you poor thing!

@Sally Sunshine what year/generation are you in with your project bird?
I would love some when they are ready.

Good evening everybody!
see below where I am at

egg to create
F1
cross Bird A with Bird B.
the chicks from that mating are the F1. the F stands for filial.

egg to create
F2
Cross F1 with each other you will end up with F2.

egg to create
PAxF2=BC1AI
BLUE EGGS LEFT
p
LL

Next step for me is PB Roo with F2 and PB Roo with BC1AI

Goals....(and I wasn't asking too much here
lau.gif
but I sure got lucky!)

Great blue Jumbo egg layers, large quick grown males 4 meat, beautiful birds with crests

sexable at hatch

We have two birds, one the color or variety you are working on with type problems PA), and a very well typed line of another variety (PB).
Make the variety cross PAxPB=F1 generation. this was done to introduce type while ultimately looking for the color of PA.

Select only for type in the F1 birds, those showing some improvement that you are looking for. Cull all others.
Mate F1xF1=F2. You will get some even better typed, some that look like your F1 birds and some of each parent variety. Select the birds showing the most type improvement and demonstrating some or all the color traits of PA.
If you get very typey pullets with most of teh traits you want in the F2, then you can use the F2 Pullets under the male PA to get back more color traits but will loose some type from the PA bird that is not improved.
PAxF2=BC1AI
like to run an additional pen or two with F2xF2=F3.
I like to run to at least the F2 generation before making a back cross for the color, even then I only make that mating for a good cockrell to go back over the F2 females that will reinforce the type while working back to color as well.
BC1AxF2.
That allows for the following mating in the 4th generation
BC1AxF3.
Then you will have selected the F3 for type in F1 birds, Type and some color in F2, Type and some color in F3. The BC1A will have more color and improved type but not as good as the F2 or F3 birds. use the BC1A to bring in teh additional color with type from teh F2 and F3 birds.
So the breeding for type improvement looks like this.
Year 1 PAxPB=F1
Year 2 F1xF1=F2
Year 3 F2xF2=F3 and PAxF2=BC1A
Year 4 F3xBC1A and BC1AxF2,
Year 5 Take pullets from each breeding and mate to cockrells from teh other breeding, after selecting for type and color both.

baby #1 is hatched and sleeping in the brooder. egg 2 that had already pipped is starting to enlarge it's breathing hole. I mistook this part as zipping before :p so I will likely have chick 2 in about 12-13 hours unless baby is really eager to be out. egg 3 pipped internally today so I probably won't see any progress until tomorrow night.

That was only one of 4 tornadoes that day. More pics...

Tornadoes are extremely destructive... and deadly.
I know, my grandfather was in a house that got hit in MA - very rare, and not a lot of warning. One of my uncles had been filming something and had a video of that tornado as it skipped across a neighborhood and started to head toward him, which is when he dropped the camera. I watched that many times!! My grandfather had been closing the front door when it hit, and when they dug him out, he worked to help unbury others, He didn't realize he still had the door knob in his hand. Till the day he died, he couldn't ride in a car with the windows down. Any time there was wind storms, they would go to the movie theater and watch movies until the wind died down. He couldn't be anywhere near trains either. There was 1 person that died from that house. They found him more than a mile away, and another that had been taken from the house and through the barn and the barn roof had landed on her. She survived with a broken pelvis and a bunch of other injuries. They never did find a baby grand piano that had been in the house.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Worcester_tornado

I'm very glad that you are safe!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom