INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: I was worried about the cute little puppies. Thank you for....You know.
hide.gif

egg to create
F1
cross Bird A with Bird B.
the chicks from that mating are the F1. the F stands for filial.

egg to create
F2
Cross F1 with each other you will end up with F2.

egg to create
PAxF2=BC1AI
BLUE EGGS LEFT
p
LL

Next step for me is PB Roo with F2 and PB Roo with BC1AI

Goals....(and I wasn't asking too much here
lau.gif
but I sure got lucky!)

Great blue Jumbo egg layers, large quick grown males 4 meat, beautiful birds with crests

sexable at hatch

We have two birds, one the color or variety you are working on with type problems PA), and a very well typed line of another variety (PB).
Make the variety cross PAxPB=F1 generation. this was done to introduce type while ultimately looking for the color of PA.

Select only for type in the F1 birds, those showing some improvement that you are looking for. Cull all others.
Mate F1xF1=F2. You will get some even better typed, some that look like your F1 birds and some of each parent variety. Select the birds showing the most type improvement and demonstrating some or all the color traits of PA.
If you get very typey pullets with most of teh traits you want in the F2, then you can use the F2 Pullets under the male PA to get back more color traits but will loose some type from the PA bird that is not improved.
PAxF2=BC1AI
like to run an additional pen or two with F2xF2=F3.
I like to run to at least the F2 generation before making a back cross for the color, even then I only make that mating for a good cockrell to go back over the F2 females that will reinforce the type while working back to color as well.
BC1AxF2.
That allows for the following mating in the 4th generation
BC1AxF3.
Then you will have selected the F3 for type in F1 birds, Type and some color in F2, Type and some color in F3. The BC1A will have more color and improved type but not as good as the F2 or F3 birds. use the BC1A to bring in teh additional color with type from teh F2 and F3 birds.
So the breeding for type improvement looks like this.
Year 1 PAxPB=F1
Year 2 F1xF1=F2
Year 3 F2xF2=F3 and PAxF2=BC1A
Year 4 F3xBC1A and BC1AxF2,
Year 5 Take pullets from each breeding and mate to cockrells from teh other breeding, after selecting for type and color both.
Looks like you're going to be tied up for the next 5 years...
ep.gif
Wow... looks like you've got it down to a science. You're a shmart one, aren't ya???
bow.gif

perhaps thoguht you were kiddin lol good!!! lol you poor thing! see below where I am at egg to create F1 cross Bird A with Bird B. the chicks from that mating are the F1. the F stands for filial. egg to create F2 Cross F1 with each other you will end up with F2. egg to create PAxF2=BC1AI BLUE EGGS LEFT p
LL
Next step for me is PB Roo with F2 and PB Roo with BC1AI Goals....(and I wasn't asking too much here :lau but I sure got lucky!) Great blue Jumbo egg layers, large quick grown males 4 meat, beautiful birds with crests sexable at hatch We have two birds, one the color or variety you are working on with type problems PA), and a very well typed line of another variety (PB). Make the variety cross PAxPB=F1 generation. this was done to introduce type while ultimately looking for the color of PA. Select only for type in the F1 birds, those showing some improvement that you are looking for. Cull all others. Mate F1xF1=F2. You will get some even better typed, some that look like your F1 birds and some of each parent variety. Select the birds showing the most type improvement and demonstrating some or all the color traits of PA. If you get very typey pullets with most of teh traits you want in the F2, then you can use the F2 Pullets under the male PA to get back more color traits but will loose some type from the PA bird that is not improved. PAxF2=BC1AI like to run an additional pen or two with F2xF2=F3. I like to run to at least the F2 generation before making a back cross for the color, even then I only make that mating for a good cockrell to go back over the F2 females that will reinforce the type while working back to color as well. BC1AxF2. That allows for the following mating in the 4th generation BC1AxF3. Then you will have selected the F3 for type in F1 birds, Type and some color in F2, Type and some color in F3. The BC1A will have more color and improved type but not as good as the F2 or F3 birds. use the BC1A to bring in teh additional color with type from teh F2 and F3 birds. So the breeding for type improvement looks like this. Year 1 PAxPB=F1 Year 2 F1xF1=F2 Year 3 F2xF2=F3 and PAxF2=BC1A Year 4 F3xBC1A and BC1AxF2, Year 5 Take pullets from each breeding and mate to cockrells from teh other breeding, after selecting for type and color both.
Ugh... Sally and her long posts... My poor head... But then again, thanks for the info. I'm still trying to figure out genetics, do you have something for that?

Quote: After reading about folks getting so many different thermometers and still not feeling they could trust them, I spent some extra money and ordered a thermometer/hygrometer from ThermoWorks and ORDERED IT TO COME NIST CALIBRATED. Woo hoo!!!!
celebrate.gif
Anyhow, may seem expensive, but when you get a bunch that you then decide are trash, then order more, and still don't trust... I think it evens out in the end (esp. taking into account your time and all the drama).
Good afternoon, everyone, except for those in the west, which require a good late morning!
frow.gif

Watching the weather closely today, and it appears that it may get a little rough this afternoon and into the evening hours. I noticed on radar that there are already three tornado warnings in south LA, and it looks like that particular patch of the storm is headed directly towards my house. Hoping and praying that everyone in it's path will stay safe...
fl.gif

Edit... make that FOUR tonado warnings in souther LA and MS. Things are starting to rock with this storm!

This freaked me out as I was reading through. I knew something was going on, and the winds have been super high today (blew the tarp off of poor Tank's coop). Checked the radar - scary! SO glad you're ok. Seth, please let us know how you're doing as it progresses. This has made me think about my chickens in a bad storm. Currently there;s no place I could really put them, but you can bet I will take that into account if/when I remodel...
I have a question... If I had one line of RIR, and I bred the hens to the Roo, hatched chicks, could I breed new Roos back to their mothers? And new hens back to father? How many times could I do this? Would I need a new Roo for a new line?
All this talk of line breeding and spiral breeding is very useful. I will have some very good lines of BCM and German New Hampshires coming this spring. I am not a breeder, and this is just for my backyard, but I want to do them enough justice not to lose the great traits that the breeder worked so hard to develop in these birds...
good day and shalom to all the good people, in the land of the free! EYS! And Buttercup!

I can send some eggs from this chicken breed if you want!
big_smile.png

It is predator proof!

One of my Naked Necks, Sweetie, HATES being interrupted in the nest box and makes velociraptor noises when I mistakenly open the egg door and she's in there. She's the most cuddly one and loves me a lot, but when she does that it TERRIFIES me. I hope she goes broody - I bet NO ONE would touch her chicks...
Okay. I have been having panic attacks since FAF wanted to share Benny. It's a problem I need to deal with, and if I can't handle BYC, I should stay away. Except that it is the only human interaction I have.
You two kids should be together - how could I get in the way of Twoo Wuv?!
Hi Everyone!! I just got back from a short vacation up to Santa Cruz! Found out the 2 of the eggs that went in to lock down on Thursday pipped last night and started zipping this morning. When I got home at 3:30, they were still zipping. I helped them both out. They were shrink wrapped. I think my dad opened the bator to help the first zipper a bit and didn't know he had to immediately add warm water.....

Of the two I helped.....One has spraddle legs - when do I tape them? after it dries or sooner? The other, seems to have trouble with one of it's legs, it keeps ending up upside down. I'm going to let them finish drying.

Since the first pips came on day 23, and hatched day 24 (with help), do I try to pip the other eggs? Any other way to check for viability besides the float test?

Thanks!
Hope this is not too late, but I agree with what was said before - as soon as it is dry enough so you're not worried about chilling, put the hobble on and put back in the incubator. I had one with spraddle leg and I did this, and left it on (well, changed it once) in the brooder though a total of 4 days. Little bugger is running around like a champ, can't even tell now. His case was mild - make sure they can either get around to eat and drink or if more severe, take the time to help them to the food water frequently (if you can) until the little brace comes off.

@Sally Sunshine
I got one with shtuff on it

How do I clean a chick without chilling it

With my sticky chicks, I microwaved a wet washcloth, then waited until it wasn't scalding to the touch, and I used that - I had a back up of warm water as well. Depending on your environment, the cloth and water can cool off fast. For my two that I did this for, they went back in the incubator to warm up before I was totally done and got a second bath a few hours later. It may take more than one (to avoid chilling).
Tape them now. Sooner the better once they dry and come out of the incubator.
What fire said...

love.gif
Piggly Wiggly

Oh, man, just had a childhood flashback. Love that Piggly Wiggly...
Well, the storm that blanketed the entire state blew through without a hitch. I dodged the bullet and live to see another day. Life is good!!!
yesss.gif
Whew!!!! Seth, how are you?

BTW, thanks again to folks that told me that hanging this type of waterer works - solved a problem for me, water stays cleaner (due to hot climate, I can't have nipple only waterers - safety issue). Working great now (this is the 3.5 gallon version)

I got home from work late and all the chickens (and chicks) were asleep. So I'm in chicken-love withdrawal, prowling on BYC. I DID make more Belper Knolle cheese tonight (that first batch was so easy and SO good!!!), and put some sourdough bread in the oven. So I deserve a glass of wine!!!!!

Raw milk came out of Jersey cows yesterday morning, heated, added culture and developed the curd overnight, drained during work today, and now forming the cheese.

Drained cheese (mixed with garlic and salt) waiting to be formed, and ground toasted peppercorns for coating (rising bread in the background):

Final product, ready to go into the wine fridge for aging (52-56F at 75-80% humidity - just like eggs being stored for hatching!!!):

Only 27 new posts since I started typing - you guys must be slowing down...
lau.gif

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom