INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't do it all the time. I'm only on my second batch.

Oh ok, well good to know that I am not the only newbie here. I thought it was a thread full of hatchers that do this all the time. Although, given the pace of the thread, it's no wonder that I might have gotten it wrong. Anyway, I really enjoy bringing life into the world and seeing them grow up and develop. I don't like the what if's that could go wrong, a lot of pressure and I hate feeling responsible for deaths. Last year was my first hatch and I definitely have a different game plan this time. I tried more of a dry hatch low humidity at the beginning and then bumped up near lockdown. I had 16 hatch, one died the next day. I know I opened the bator too much, especially during candling and trying to adjust the humidity. After reading this thread, I have figured out how to adjust the humidity without opening the bator, with the tubing and cleat in the side of the bator. Are you a person that candles? If so what days do you candle, I know everyone does it different. Thanks

Oh ok, well good to know that I am not the only newbie here. I thought it was a thread full of hatchers that do this all the time. Although, given the pace of the thread, it's no wonder that I might have gotten it wrong. Anyway, I really enjoy bringing life into the world and seeing them grow up and develop. I don't like the what if's that could go wrong, a lot of pressure and I hate feeling responsible for deaths. Last year was my first hatch and I definitely have a different game plan this time. I tried more of a dry hatch low humidity at the beginning and then bumped up near lockdown. I had 16 hatch, one died the next day. I know I opened the bator too much, especially during candling and trying to adjust the humidity. After reading this thread, I have figured out how to adjust the humidity without opening the bator, with the tubing and cleat in the side of the bator. Are you a person that candles? If so what days do you candle, I know everyone does it different. Thanks
My first batch I candle on day 7, 14 & 18 but my humidity was screwy and resulted in a 40% hatch rate.
This batch I'll candle day 10 (to remove clears) and day 18 to check air cells and remove any quitters. Although this time I have a much better handle on the humidity.

Wondered where you'd gotten off to. Glad you're on the mend.
Thanks, feeling a little stronger.

Silkies!!!

How do you all get chicks to pose. Insane penedesencas would never stand for that.

Good morning all,

Ok all you hatchaholics and hatch experts, I am picking up hatching eggs on Thursday. Couple of questions, after bringing them home, should I let them sit for a day or so, or should I set them right away? I ask cause last year we incubated directly from our flock. Just wasn't sure if the eggs should get acclimated to our house etc before tossing them in the bator.

I guess I only had one questions...for now.
big_smile.png
Quote:
Ok great, my understanding is they are not being chilled and are being stored in a turner. They should be about 6-7 days old. Getting eggcited and nervous!
At that age, get them started right away. Just raise the temperature slowly so they don't condensate.

one of the older sons came yesterday, took two trees down for me

but the littles were home to help with clean up!
Can you send him this way, I'm not fond of climbing at my age and I sold my bucket truck.

I am off to wash scovy eggs and then take a shower and get ready!! Have a great day yall
frow.gif

How do you wash those dirty eggs?
I hatched some Canadian eggs that were worse than that.

Wooohooo, that made my heart jump. How do you all do this all the time and not worry yourselves sick?
Keep the incubator out of sight and have more hobbies.

Ok thanks and what are your thoughts/reason to let them sit?
In case they are jostled a lot. If you aren't driving on Central American or Ozark bumpy roads, it shouldn't be necessary. A car ride on good roads isn't any worse than walking across the yard with them.

I think it is mostly first or second timers on this thread than long time hatchers. So you fit right in.
Most just glommed on because of Sally.

I'm pretty much a hands off person. I rarely candle. Perhaps once or twice. But my eggs are very difficult to see into so not much to see - mostly just look to try and find an air pocket and look for clears.
I weigh to test humidity. 0.16% weight loss per day with good humidity.

I've got a hova bator and am also curious as to what is the best way to candle without severely affecting the temp in the bator. I'm currently on day 3 and was planning to candle either day 7 or 8 and then on day 18 before lockdown.

I'd love to hear others methods for candling without compromising temps in a big way...I've got 42 eggs in there
1f601.png
1f601.png

How do you all get chicks to pose. Insane penedesencas would never stand for that.

Quote:
At that age, get them started right away. Just raise the temperature slowly so they don't condensate.

Can you send him this way, I'm not fond of climbing at my age and I sold my bucket truck.

How do you wash those dirty eggs?
I hatched some Canadian eggs that were worse than that.

In case they are jostled a lot. If you aren't driving on Central American or Ozark bumpy roads, it shouldn't be necessary. A car ride on good roads isn't any worse than walking across the yard with them.

I think it is mostly first or second timers on this thread than long time hatchers. So you fit right in.

I'm pretty much a hands off person. I rarely candle. Perhaps once or twice. But my eggs are very difficult to see into so not much to see - mostly just look to try and find an air pocket and look for clears.
Smooth roads? Never seen one around here, unless it was just opened to traffic after laying a top coat
gig.gif

Yes the road I live on hasn't been paved in over 16 years there is a few big pot holes u have to swerve around feels like a roller coaster swerving from side to side so u don't hit the pot holes it's funny my dog falls over when we do that and steps on my sister my dog is a cluts

My first batch I candle on day 7, 14 & 18 but my humidity was screwy and resulted in a 40% hatch rate.
This batch I'll candle day 10 (to remove clears) and day 18 to check air cells and remove any quitters. Although this time I have a much better handle on the humidity.

Ok I like that approach day 10 and 18 to candle.

How do you all get chicks to pose. Insane

Quote:

I think it is mostly first or second timers on this thread than long time hatchers. So you fit right in. 

Ok good to know and thanks for the tips. So how often do you weigh yours? That seems like something I can better do than candling and trying to determine the egg sac size. I tried that but we had Some dark eggs and green eggs, couldn't see much, plus not experienced enough to know what exactly I was looking at. I know it takes practice.

I've got a hova bator and am also curious as to what is the best way to candle without severely affecting the temp in the bator. I'm currently on day 3 and was planning to candle either day 7 or 8 and then on day 18 before lockdown.

I'd love to hear others methods for candling without compromising temps in a big way...I've got 42 eggs in there
1f601.png
1f601.png
great question, I have the same one as my bator will be full as well with the same numbers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom