INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
just a blood draw this morning...actual appointment is next week.....but once you've been told you have a terminal illness your never the same...even for routine blood test....
fl.gif
Sorry to hear that.

Last edited:
Forgive me if this was already covered, but make sure to check the temp and humidity. It's a very nice incubator, but may not be accurate. Compared to a calibrated standard, my brand new Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance temp is a degree Celsius lower then the reading (and indeed I had a late hatch last time). It's also 6-10% lower than the reading for humidity, and I had problems there as well. I have adjusted my settings now for this hatch.

- Ant Farm
Thanks!!! I did take several calibrated thermo/hygros and dropped them in for 24 hours. The calibrated all matched, the brinsea was .2 low. I heard from several other successful hatchers that it's better to run .5 higher than Brinsea recommends. I bumped it up to 100,1 which I believe is 99.9. It hasn't budged. All my hygro's are box type. I need to pick up some probes. The way the Brinsea turns the whole bator - anything not tied down gets tossed around, so I had to take out the calibrated ones.

I'm running a dry hatch and my hygro's are all calibrated, but I'm not as concerned right now. My house runs around 37. I'll keep an eye on the air cells and adjust accordingly.

Thanks again!

Silkies!!!

These are ADORABLE, but this one should be put next to the one that someone posted the other day with Gary Coleman saying "What you talking bout Wilis?"

Oh ok, well good to know that I am not the only newbie here. I thought it was a thread full of hatchers that do this all the time. Although, given the pace of the thread, it's no wonder that I might have gotten it wrong. Anyway, I really enjoy bringing life into the world and seeing them grow up and develop. I don't like the what if's that could go wrong, a lot of pressure and I hate feeling responsible for deaths. Last year was my first hatch and I definitely have a different game plan this time. I tried more of a dry hatch low humidity at the beginning and then bumped up near lockdown. I had 16 hatch, one died the next day. I know I opened the bator too much, especially during candling and trying to adjust the humidity. After reading this thread, I have figured out how to adjust the humidity without opening the bator, with the tubing and cleat in the side of the bator. Are you a person that candles? If so what days do you candle, I know everyone does it different. Thanks
I have only been hatching since December. I still consider myself a newbie!! It is addicting!!!!

just a blood draw this morning...actual appointment is next week.....but once you've been told you have a terminal illness your never the same...even for routine blood test....
fl.gif
I'm sorry about your diagnosis...
hugs.gif
I can't imagine the stress connected to those blood tests!! Good luck and I hope it's all good news!!

Checking at day 4 ish I'm not seeing any veins yet. This is a new pairing so they might not be fertile yet, I looked at a yoke and thought it was fertile but not certain.

So My question I was going for a dry hatch and wasn't paying attention to humitiy and it was down to about 5-11% for the first couple days. When my brain registered it I added water and got up to 30%+. That short a time shouldn't bother the eggs right??

About 30 eggs are locked down (though no idea if the BCMs are even developing as some are super super dark).
Actually there is an external pip in a dwarf olansk. That egg is super tiny and is probably a good 24 hours ahead of the LF eggs.
Well off to work, not expecting too much till tomorrow.
#stillexcitingafteralltheseyears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom