INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sally Sunshine
  • Platinum_Poultry.v2677963714.png
  • Cattywampus
Hi. I'm hoping someone can help with this.

After having a very difficult hatch (3/24) with a new Farm Innovators model, I used the advice here and calibrated my accurite digital hygrometer/thermometer, as well as a submersible glass bulb for temp - calibrated by the ice method. The accurite was off by 4 degrees (reading low) after the salt test and the separate thermometer was reading 2 degrees high.
I now am calibrating both of those to the new incubator's digital hygrometer/thermometer. These are my findings:

The glass thermometer( factoring for -2deg) and the incubator thermometer are pretty much spot on. The Accurite temp is close, however it took 3 hours to read that temp.
The problem is the hygrometer.
The Accurite hygrometer (factoring the +4) and the incubator hygrometer differ by 16 degrees.

Can this even be possible? What the heck?

If so, it is no wonder that my last hatch was so pitiful. The incubator hygrometer is reading 16 degrees low, which would mean that at lockdown, when I had it all the way up to peak of 75, it was actually at 91 pct humidity. Basically soaking wet. UGH. And throughout the first 17 days, when I thought my humidity was 40-55 (too high, I know), it was actually 56-71 pct.

I just want to verify with you that are experienced in calibration that this is first, possible, and second, that I have taken accurate steps to correct the readings.

Thank you in advance for your help.

so you have done the bag salt method on the hygros?

Yes, I did. Twice with the acurite hygrometer and twice with the incubator. Incubator is still 16% off. I have since ordered two analog hygros. They should be here tomorrow. The second time I did the salt test with the acurite, I put in a brand new battery. It read 5% low that time as oppossed to 4 low first time. I am thinking of emailing the Farm Innovators company and asking for either 1 a new incubator or 2 a professionally calibrated replacement hygrometer. I just don't think that they should be able to sell these for incubation when the percents are 16 off, knowing that those using them will never get a decent hatch rate.

Last edited:
I've just been using the one trough for some water at this point (day 11 today) and humidity has basically been between 30% and 40% but I have to add some water daily to get it to stay that way. (Or it drops into the 20's)

My question is...since this is my first time using the 1588...I know once lockdown comes, that's it - so should I fill all the troughs early that day and see how humidity is and if it stay pretty consistent? Or should I fill the troughs, add a sponge, etc?
I'm concerned I've had to keep adding some water each day right now to maintain and I'm worried that will happen in the lockdown phase...ideas? Thoughts?
Sounds similar to my incubation conditions. You still have a couple of candlings to do (days 14 & 18) which will tell you how your humidity has been doing so far. If all looks good on those days, I think filling all the troughs will be sufficient for lockdown. If air cells look a little large by day 18, a sponge might be necessary, but you'll have to rely on your hygrometer at that point.

For lockdown fill all the troughs. If that doesn't get your humidity to where it needs to be than you can add a sponge or something similar to get it up to where it should be. Filling the troughs all the way should last long enough for lockdown without the need to open it and add more.

Ok phew...I was worrying about that...
And if I set my eggs at 11 at night on the 5th originally, is the start of day 18 the night of March 23td and when I'd lock them down? Or do it earlier that day?
(I told you...questions, questions!! Lol)

In other news...MY CHICKS JUST CAME IN FROM MEYER!!! Woot woot!!! Was so worried they were going to take until tomorrow!!!

And if I set my eggs at 11 at night on the 5th originally, is the start of day 18 the night of March 23td and when I'd lock them down? Or do it earlier that day?

In other news...MY CHICKS JUST CAME IN FROM MEYER!!! Woot woot!!! Was so worried they were going to take until tomorrow!!!
Any time on day 18 is fine. Whenever would be convenient.

You are correct. Day 1 is always 24 hours after setting, so the evening of 3/23 is lockdown. I don't think a few hours early will make much of a difference, but I'm kind of anal about locking down around the same time of the day that I set the eggs.

Congrats on your new arrivals!!!
clap.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom