INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Congrats to those that won the badges !!!

Sally your kiddos are adorable!!!! Feel free to name cleft duckie gator :)

Fire ant , i love ur chickie selfies!!! My hubby has been dieing to learn how to make cheese ,thats awesome

Is it bad that i read through the post to catch up on what i missed only to forget about half i read lol

Direct your hubby to www.cheesemaking.com - I learned everything there, and I get all my cultures there as well.
Quote:
Yes, you can get "Pick No More" from Tractor Supply and it is good to have on hand, but that won't stop him from scratching at it with his foot - it's purple and antiseptic and also tastes really really bad so other chickens don't peck and they don't peck at it themselves (I know it tastes bad to them because of Sweetie trying to get it off of her feathers - poor thing, the little faces she made at the taste...). I think it's better than BluKote from my experience with multiple NN pullet wounds (they have such thin skin).

When Dumbledore, my hero CL rooster, was attacked by dogs when protecting the rest of the flock, I took him to a vet. He did not pick at his boo-boos, but the vet told me to watch him, and if he did start to pick, to bring him back in because she would have to fit him with an e-collar (like those cone-of-shame collars that dogs have to wear). Only thing I could think of to stop your boy from scratching at it. I suppose you could loosely hobble him like you would a spraddle legged chick for several days until healing, so he can shuffle around to get to food and water, but not lift his foot to scratch at it, if you can't keep him from doing it. If it were my dilemma, that's what I would do. Maybe other folks will have other ideas...

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
Direct your hubby to www.cheesemaking.com - I learned everything there, and I get all my cultures there as well. 

Yes, you can get  "Pick No More" from Tractor Supply and it is good to have on hand, but that won't stop him from scratching at it with his foot - it's purple and antiseptic and also tastes really really bad so other chickens don't peck and they don't peck at it themselves (I know it tastes bad to them because of Sweetie trying to get it off of her feathers - poor thing, the little faces she made at the taste...). I think it's better than BluKote from my experience with multiple NN pullet wounds (they have such thin skin). 

When Dumbledore, my hero CL rooster, was attacked by dogs when protecting the rest of the flock, I took him to a vet. He did not pick at his boo-boos, but the vet told me to watch him, and if he did start to pick, to bring him back in because she would have to fit him with an e-collar (like those cone-of-shame collars that dogs have to wear). Only thing I could think of to stop your boy from scratching at it. I suppose you could loosely hobble him like you would a spraddle legged chick for several days until healing, so he can shuffle around to get to food and water, but not lift his foot to scratch at it, if you can't keep him from doing it. If it were my dilemma, that's what I would do. Maybe other folks will have other ideas...

- Ant Farm 

Awesome thanks for sharing

@Sally Sunshine

Ok, I have a new update!!

Of the hatch for a friend eggs, I had 6 hatch
celebrate.gif
, 6 DIS
hit.gif
. I currently have 13 Salmon Favorelle and 13 of my silkie eggs going in to lockdown on 4/4. I have 6 EE and 6 backyard mix eggs from a friend, plus 13 shipped blue/buff Cochin and 2 of my silkie eggs set on 3/27. 6 shipped silkie eggs, 12 auto sexing EEs and 19 frizzled EEs set on 4/1, but I'm going to sneak 6 more shipped silkie eggs in too!! I'm still waiting for some more eggs that should arrive in a day or two. Not sure how many, or what kinds!

Incubator update - I realize that the Brinsea is the BEST for hatching, since the humidity is controlled by the incubator. I had such an awesome hatch rate!! I keep adding eggs to the one Brinsea I have, plus I keep adding eggs to my LG, I only have the death bator for hatching. I think I want to buy another Brinsea. I do not want a cabinet bator, and I do not want to build my own. Are there any other incubators that have anything that controls the humidity automatically besides the Brinsea?

Yes, you can get "Pick No More" from Tractor Supply and it is good to have on hand, but that won't stop him from scratching at it with his foot - it's purple and antiseptic and also tastes really really bad so other chickens don't peck and they don't peck at it themselves (I know it tastes bad to them because of Sweetie trying to get it off of her feathers - poor thing, the little faces she made at the taste...). I think it's better than BluKote from my experience with multiple NN pullet wounds (they have such thin skin).

- Ant Farm
Ok thanks! I might try the hobble thing if he doesn't stop. It it scabs up it might be okay but he won't let it scab up, at least it's night time and he's sleeping now. I'm hoping it will scab up during the night. I'll doctor it up real good with honey and milk tomorrow. Honey and milk are amazing for skin problems!

Howdy....:frow.....finally get to sit down...what happened to retirement?
For anyone whom might wonder we still have no idea what is going on with my wife she went to her appointment to find out it's not till next week.....she now regrets not going to the ER...and fully admits it was because she's scared... but she seems okay so hopefully next week we can try and put the whole incident behind us.
And my breathing I'd much improved over last night.....prednisone you got to love it and hate it all at the same time....

@Sally Sunshine
 Guess What

What is it now, CH??? 

Oops...   :oops:

Congratulations my BYC FRIENDS !! . :thumbsup

Last edited:
@Sally Sunshine

Of the hatch for a friend eggs, I had 6 hatch
celebrate.gif
, 6 DIS
hit.gif
. I currently have 13 Salmon Favorelle and 13 of my silkie eggs going in to lockdown on 4/4. I have 6 EE and 6 backyard mix eggs from a friend, plus 13 shipped blue/buff Cochin and 2 of my silkie eggs set on 3/27. 6 shipped silkie eggs, 12 auto sexing EEs and 19 frizzled EEs set on 4/1, but I'm going to sneak 6 more shipped silkie eggs in too!! I'm still waiting for some more eggs that should arrive in a day or two. Not sure how many, or what kinds!

Incubator update - I realize that the Brinsea is the BEST for hatching, since the humidity is controlled by the incubator. I had such an awesome hatch rate!! I keep adding eggs to the one Brinsea I have, plus I keep adding eggs to my LG, I only have the death bator for hatching. I think I want to buy another Brinsea. I do not want a cabinet bator, and I do not want to build my own. Are there any other incubators that have anything that controls the humidity automatically besides the Brinsea?
For whatever it's worth (may not be the most financially reasonable solution):

For various reasons, I have both a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance with the humidity pump AND an R-Com 20. Both hold temps and humidity well (though you need to calibrate either - don't trust just because they are fancy-schmancy). The R-Com may (or may not) have caused some increased malpos related to the way the eggs were turned on their sides, but was much easier for the actual hatch than the Brinsea, better visibility, and also much, MUCH easier to clean after hatch (which is of course so much messier than just incubating). So, having already had both on hand, this past time (for Easter HAL) I incubated in the Brinsea and hatched in the R-Com. Worked well. I tried hatching in the Brinsea earlier. It went ok, but it was REALLY hard to see anything, hard to quickly get it open and shut again, hard for the babies to move around after hatching (very crowded with low overhead), and a bit harder to clean after a hatch.

I should emphasize that I already owned the R-Com at that point and was not feeling like I wanted to incubate in it, so it has become a nicely functioning super expensive hatcher. I have heard good things about the Incuview, so, I suppose if I did not already have the R-Com, I would look at that as a separate hatcher... Or another option...
Quote: Please be careful of the heat lamps because of the risk of fire!

I use the Mama Heating Pad method, and when I moved my babies out, some of them were Naked Necks only 4 weeks old (the others were fully feathered Cream legbars at 5.5 weeks). Although the low temps had been in the 60s, the very night I moved them out, it went down to 38F!!! But I have the little MHP pad out there for them, and they huddled under it and did just fine. Of course, I checked on them a few times a night - sometimes going out there, other times just opening the door to ensure I didn't hear crying or chirping. Maybe you should check on them a few times tonight... (JMHO)

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
@Sally Sunshine

Of the hatch for a friend eggs, I had 6 hatch :celebrate , 6 DIS :hit .  I currently have 13 Salmon Favorelle and 13 of my silkie eggs going in to lockdown on 4/4.  I have 6 EE and 6 backyard mix eggs from a friend, plus 13 shipped blue/buff Cochin and 2 of my silkie eggs set on 3/27.   6 shipped silkie eggs, 12 auto sexing EEs and 19 frizzled EEs set on 4/1, but I'm going to sneak 6 more shipped silkie eggs in too!!  I'm still waiting for some more eggs that should arrive in a day or two.  Not sure how many, or what kinds!

Incubator update - I realize that the Brinsea is the BEST for hatching, since the humidity is controlled by the incubator.  I had such an awesome hatch rate!! I keep adding eggs to the one Brinsea I have, plus I keep adding eggs to my LG, I only have the death bator for hatching.   I think I want to buy another Brinsea. I do not want a cabinet bator, and I do not want to build my own.  Are there any other incubators that have anything that controls the humidity automatically besides the Brinsea?

Some of the RCOM incubators do also. You just need to add water and the machine does the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom