INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one chick that has an unabsorbed yolk sac. It's been this way all day, no reduction in size. It's about the size of a small marble. Chick has been isolated in a 16 oz. cott cheese cup, paper towel lined and kept in incubator. She's chirping, and occasionally up on her feet. I did put betadine around it, but it's crusted with debris from her dragging it around. It's got a stem that is about 1/4" long. Should I cull her, or should I tie this sac off, and give it a while, and clip it? If she's going to be special needs, I'd rather cull, but she seems to be a bit spunky. Suggestions? Any one successfully dealt with this before?

Well it took a bit of time for me to catch it on camera but finally confirmed it's interested in my chickens.

And this is the 2nd half of the goose pair that has decided to nest on our island every spring for the past 4 years. She is very skittish but he has grown fairly tame and will come running when he sees me toting the feed bucket. Didn't track when she started sitting but seems like it's been a couple weeks now. Can't tell how many she is sitting on this year but she usually has 7-10.

Well it took a bit of time for me to catch it on camera but finally confirmed it's interested in my chickens.

And this is the 2nd half of the goose pair that has decided to nest on our island every spring for the past 4 years. She is very skittish but he has grown fairly tame and will come running when he sees me toting the feed bucket. Didn't track when she started sitting but seems like it's been a couple weeks now. Can't tell how many she is sitting on this year but she usually has 7-10.

Luckily it didn't manage to get anything last night.

Certainly not the attention your chickens need.

:lau       

That's a new one on me. I've generally kept my ducks separate, just because they seem to mess up every one else's water.

The rest of the flock has a hanging water that the ducks can't get into. In the winter, the ducks kept to their own water dishes. While everyone does mingle while awake, the ducks still have their own separate room where they have their nest box, food and water. I can't tell you how they keep to their own area for those necessities, but I certainly like it. Now that I say that, I do believe I need to go ahead and move the ducklings down into that room. It will be the best way for them to learn to stay in there for all of their messiness. That room has a cement floor. I can't say that I worry about them messing up the chickens area since the chickens do roost. Though if they were making the chicken bedding wet, there is a whole host of problems that that causes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom