INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I knew that. Didn't stop me from hoping you were reformed though!
lau.gif

You actually opened your mouth??!!?
ep.gif

-Banti
Me? Reformed? Where's the fun in that?

So can anybody join in? We have eggs pretty much constantly hatching here. The incubator is running 24/7. Most of our equipment is either fabricated by me or patched up commercial products.
Our foam incubator was shipped from the U.S. and sadly sustained some fairly serious damage through customs. I found this out when I had to set it up in a hurry because my other half was bringing home a batch of eggs. Also luckily I had a 240-120v transformer. The tray motor failed shortly after too. I came up with a fairly unique solution. I actually upgraded the motor and driver to v3 a couple of days ago. v1 was made out of decade old electronics that I dug of of the shed after a long hiatus. v2 just didn't work right for some reason. v3 was made out of most of v2 and allowed for the egg trays getting stuck at the extreme tilt when they are full with top heavy eggs.

The brooding boxes are made from chipboard TV cabinets. One is wired with a capillary thermostat and a ceramic heat bulb. The other will have similar but has a digital thermostat waiting for it.

Yesterday I was forced to fast track what I've been working on for an incubator, and throw together what I have for a hatcher using my little fish tank I've had since I was a kid. The parts are kind of mismatched and incomplete, and the power supply inadequate but it's soldiering on. It keeps heat maintained perfectly within my specifications and is very quick to heat back up after opening the lid in spite of the power supply.
Thankfully the eggs that were due had a place to hatch because the incubator is full! One hatched this afternoon and a couple more should be popping out tomorrow. The one that hatched was a super bonus! About 2 or 3 days ago I'd determined the chick to be dead but left it in the incubator on it's side just in case. it surprised me after I don't know how many candlings and moved! As an added bonus it is the first chick from the particular hen that I haven't had to hand hatch. At maybe five hours old it's perching, eating, wandering about etc. Another super chicken! It's a funny (not so) little thing. One of many experimental Silkie X bitzer chicks. Every single one from the hen has come out with a different mix of attributes. Some extremely desirable and worthy of backcrossing.

By the way, these are just backyard chickens. We don't have a farm or anything. Just our select pets and some being raised for pocket money.

I have a question. Our recent chicks seem to be having more trouble than usual with curled toes. Any ideas?
WELCOME!! @MutantMaster
Can you share some images of your creations with us please? what breeds are you hatching out? Where are you located over seas I take it! lol

Hatching Eggs 101
Trouble Shooting Failures with Egg Incubation
http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/trouble.html

Hatchability Problem Analysis http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00008570/00001
Troubleshootting Incubation http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8127.pdf
This is also a great pdf with pics: paste link in browser search: CLICK HERE
It was down to 65 degrees...
sad.png
yer ok

Quote: should be fine, mine was down to 68 overnight and most hatched

Status
Not open for further replies.