INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: At 72 years young, I'm the oldest one here, & I'm not super-excited about processing birds, either. I've done it, but I'd rather not. However, you'll get to the point where you have too many roosters that you need to do something with. You can sell them, or give them away, but 9 times out of 10 they're destined for someone's pot, anyway. That's just the way life works.

Sounds like a fun time.

Nice garden.

:frow

Hi Kathy!

Have a great day!

Yep, somedays I just want to be on or around the water, don't care about catching anything.

Drives my friend nuts. He proceeds to teach me how to fish. "You've missed the last 10 fish" he'd say.

Hi Mike and I didn't care for life cereal either. Rats made a good choice.

big_smile.png
One of my eggs just rocked!! I can't remember the last time I saw an egg rock!! So cool!
woot.gif
pop.gif

LOL, I know that!!!
wink.png
I am just experimenting to find what works, and wanted to make sure it wasn't so low it would cause embryonic damage.... Don't remember what the level was and can't find the link.
hide.gif

-Banti
There's no absolute low humidity to be achieved. It's all about how much moisture transpires throughout the incubation.
All eggs are different, especially from different breeds, different colors and different size eggs. If caught early enough humidity can be adjusted to alter weight loss.
Weighing eggs is much simpler BUT it won't help if you have some very dark eggs, some white eggs, some very small eggs, some large eggs all incubating together. There will be some fluctuations.
Granny and the boys vs girls thread.
What's the girl's thread?

Speaking of pullet eggs, I got one yesterday, the likes of which I haven't seen since my now 2 yr. old birds were just starting to lay; an egg with no shell, just membrane. Weird.
Wait till you get one of those with a tail. I got one about 7 years ago. It was a membrane egg but the membrane continued for another 7 inches or so. Never saw anything like it and I was freaked out.
I got another like it this year. This time the tail was only about 4 inches.

I missed out on kids. When I was in my twenties, I did not want to have kids then because of my childhood I did not feel capable of being a mom. By the time I felt like I could the guys in my age group either had done it or did not want kids. I regret that I won't have any, but I don't regret my decision to wait. It is far better that I did not have them when I had anger and other issues that would not have been good for them, than to have had them and given them bad stuff.
We didn't have kids till later in life. 40ish. I don't regret waiting either. Every generation of my family had kids much later in life. As a result, most generations didn't know their grandparents.
My grandfather was born in Germany in (according to census of 1940) 'about' 1864. He stowed away on a boat from GE in 1879, My grandmother was born here in 1863. That was his second wife. First wife died in childbirth. Baby died 4 months later. My aunt (dad's oldest sister), who I actually did know, was born in 1898. Oldest uncle was born in 1900.
My dad died 2 months before my oldest was born and my mom died 12 years earlier so neither of my kids knew their grandparents on my side of the family.

At least you aren't contributing to overpopulation.
There's always adoption.
I wouldn't trade my 2 for anything but it is a lifelong challenge that makes you old before your time.

Quote:
Enough of this frivolity for a while; got one more short section of fence to run, then I'll be ready for little critters. Been a long haul, but the end is at hand.

BBL
Good job.

I spent most of the day away from home. I picked up $350 worth of bee equipment but I got a deal on some of it so it cost $100 less. Then since I was on the opposite side of town, I stopped at 240 year old Soulard Market for last minute produce deals. That trip took me 5 hours.
The market is the oldest continuously operating one west of the Mississippi and open from Wednesday thru Saturday. Whatever hasn't sold by Saturday afternoon and won't keep till the following Wednesday, they try to dump for very little.
My car was so full of bee supplies and produce I couldn't fit another thing in it.
3 lbs. of arugula, 3 lbs. of spring greens and 3 of spinach for $2 each.
7 heads of romaine for $2.
5 lbs. of green beans for $2.50.
5 lbs. of mushroom caps for $1
24 oz. of blackberries for $2.
12 oz. of blueberries for $1.
Some things past their prime
60 lbs. of asparagus and a bushel of yellow squash - all for $2.
$1 for a 6 lb. mystery box that contains plantains, cucumber, tomatoes, onions, potatoes, various bell peppers and several onions.
Once we go through it today to salvage what we can use, the rest will go to the chickens.

I also bought a big oxtail. That's going into a big soup pot and will use a lot of the mushrooms, green beans, onion, potatoes and squash.

Well I guess you don't have to process them, but it's hard to process a bird you'd rather keep. So
hugs.gif

I don't know what you mean by "process a bunch of birds"
Quote:
They taste just like chicken.

Never had it. I always had to choose from plain old cheerios and rice crispies. Couldn't have sugar with it either. I've lost my taste for cereal... Now a sausage and cheese omelet...
droolin.gif
We never had sugary cereals. Cheerios and shredded wheat was about it. Cheerios didn't need it but I put a little honey on the shredded wheat. We rarely have cereal now. Occasionally homemade mueslix, Great Grains or oatmeal.
Just had some paleo pancakes with hot blueberries and sausage.
I buy meat at a grocery store
Someone posted a classified ad in autumn a few years back - I'm paraphrasing what it said but something to the effect.
"shame on all you hunters that shoot deer for food. You should buy your meat at the grocery store where it is made and no animals were harmed."

Tell me you don't think meat from the grocery store means that no animals were harmed.
You will get used to it. It took me a while. I was soooo against hunting too. You can't be "for" hunting and fishing, but against raising your own meat.
For every backyard meat or egg bird, there is one less living a miserable life in a commercial operation.

I've never tried pumpkins. I was wanting to try watermelons this year, but only 4 of the seeds sprouted.
4 is enough.

Last edited:
@ChickenCanoeWhen do you process a dual purpose bird like a Red Ranger or what Hoover Hatchery calls a rainbow? Mine hatched 3/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom