INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was 7 or 8, I was living just outside Boston, my next door neighbor was a bank, the back lot behind the five & dime was behind my house.  It was the CITY.  I found a duck waddling down Main street.  It's wings were clipped, so it just ran away from me.  Eventually, I convinced it to come home with me. We named it Stubby.  For about 3 months, we treated it like my new pet.  It lived in the house, but spent the days outside with us kids.  We went on vacation and the friends that were watching him for us, put him in a box, when he tried to jump out he broke his neck is what they told us.  My dad was convinced they ate it.  But a year or so later, my dad was digging in the back yard, and found him.  So, for 3 months as a small child, we had A duck.  I never did find out why a duck with it's wings clipped was wandering down Main St.  
Interesting. I guess like me you can't help the newbie with hatch information though. When is your next hatch?

Interesting. I guess like me you can't help the newbie with hatch information though. When is your next hatch?
4/1 then 4/5, then 4/16 and I have a whole other side of the Brinsea waiting for eggs.

I didn't get a call from the post office, but they did leave a note in the mailbox that I picked up after the PO closed, that some Silkie eggs that were shipped on Saturday, are here already. I'm guessing the seller didn't leave instructions to call me. I'll know more tomorrow.

But I have another batch of eggs that will be here on Wednesday. How exciting!!

What and when are you hatching next?

Hi
I am new to backyard chickens
And i am incubating my FIRST bach of duck eggs ever!!!!!

Only one is pipped so far and it is pushing the open flap to try to get out!!

Do u know how much longer it will take for it to hatch?

Ps his/her name is Trouble
Ducks will take there time. I had two hatch one took 40+ hrs and the other 60+ and thats from when they externally pip to actually hatch.

Awesome. How many made it to lockdown? You can take me off your hatchers list...........for now.........well until saturday when I'm setting 18 Ancona eggs :oops:
Just kidding Sally. I know you've got your hands full. Hope you feel better soon. I. just wanted to check on you. @Sally Sunshine this was meant for you lol.

Last edited:
4/1 then 4/5, then 4/16 and I have a whole other side of the Brinsea waiting for eggs.  

I didn't get a call from the post office, but they did leave a note in the mailbox that I picked up after the PO closed, that some Silkie eggs that were shipped on Saturday, are here already.  I'm guessing the seller didn't leave instructions to call me.  I'll know more tomorrow.

But I have another batch of eggs that will be here on Wednesday. How exciting!!

What and when are you hatching next?
I am done hatching for now. I will be building some pens for different types, selecting my keepers, and selling extras. I have my few (14) from winter hatches including the only three I kept, not knowing what was going to happen, from my original flock. Then I have over sixty chicks of various types from two days to four or five weeks old most from March first. Then I have two GFF CCL cockrels in quarantine that are nine weeks old. Plenty to sort through, and ten are meat birds on a short term plan ;)

I'm not Sally but thanks for checking up on me :lau How are ya?
Whoops. Sorry chaos. Glad your doing food. I'm fine. Me and my boy went fishing today. I'm paying for it now but it's worth the back pain. We had fun and caught about twenty lbs. Of catfish. We both caught 4 a piece but one of his was a 4 pounder.

@mlm MikeThank you for the links. The person who posted originally chimed back in at about 75995 and said they took the tops off, but they are not out yet but still chirping. I hope they read too.

@daxigait Hey I wanted to give you a huge THANK YOU! I've been at work all day and haven't got an opportunity to respond but your questions kept me thinking. I knew what would happen if I did nothing.

My last attempt at a assisted hatch just prolonged the chick's pain and I didn't want to repeat that. Seeing you ask about it made me reconsider assisting.

I just assisted out both of the zipped ones. They both look like they'll at least get a chance.Their belly button s were healed and both are trying to stand although one is having more success at the moment. I was able to give them a drop of molasses water. I'll let you know what happens. :D

@Sally Sunshine 2 out 6 is where it stands.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom