Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

I just candled #4-8 (days 35, 34, 33, 32 and 31) and ALL have movement. I can HEAR #4 "peeping" and can hear a very rhythmic "pecking" noise as well as see him rhythmically moving - Is he trying to break out?

Michelle

I just candled #4-8 (days 35, 34, 33, 32 and 31) and ALL have movement. I can HEAR #4 "peeping" and can hear a very rhythmic "pecking" noise as well as see him rhythmically moving - Is he trying to break out?

Michelle
Sounds like it. if you can hear peeping it has pipped internally, so now you need to close up the bator because you don't want to risk shrink wrapping the duckling.

Sounds like it. if you can hear peeping it has pipped internally, so now you need to close up the bator because you don't want to risk shrink wrapping the duckling.

Thanks Lydia! So shrink wrapping is a result of too low humidity? I am having trouble keeping the humidity high - even with damp cotton balls in the incubator, the reading is 50%! It's SO COLD in Massachusetts now, that I think with us having the forced air heat on all the time is making it impossible for the humidity to rise! May have to move the incubator to a "more humid" room like the bathroom or the kitchen!

Lacrystol, I just checked out your webpage! NICE! And the advice there is exactly what I was looking for! Boy, I sure could have used it a month ago!

Thank you all so very, very much! I am sure I will be back for more advice as things progress - I am SO NERVOUS!

What you need to raise humidity if a large, wet surface area. Maybe try adding sponges if you can place them where they don't interfere with airflow.

-Kathy

Kathy and Lacrystol,

We will go get another incubator tomorrow. If I understand you both, you are saying to put the lockdown eggs (eggs three days from hatching) in one incubator with higher humidity, and leave all other eggs - with longer than three days to hatch - in the other with lower humidity.

We candled the eggs last night, and the eggs that should be in lockdown had definite movement! We will candle again shortly.

Here are my additional questions:

1 - If Muscovies hatch between day 33-37, WHAT DAY is lockdown?
2 - I have a STILL AIR INCUBATOR (and will likely buy another still air). What temperature and humidity do you suggest for lockdown eggs, and for others? ALL have been at 99.5 degrees and between 40%-60% (NOT wet bulb) to date.

Kathy - we will get the photos shortly. Would you prefer photos or video of the eggs?

Many, many thanks for all your help!!

Michelle
YES I THINK YOU GOT IT NOW..
JUST CANDLE THE EGGS ONE TIME, IF YOU SEE MOVEMENT MARK THEM AND DON'T MESS WITH THEM ANYMORE, BY TAKEN THEM OUT YOU'LL ONLY CAUSE MORE DAMAGE THEN NEED TOO,

I would use 35 days for your hatching day. Ive read several sites that are saying about 35. of course you will give them a day or two more for lockdown. Up to 5 days,

you need to get that temp UP get it up to 101 to 102 don't go higher then that 103 could kill them. Keep an eye on the humidity it will change.

Michelle

OH GOOD LORD, OK listen yes he is trying to get out but he's going to have issues, First your humidity isn't HIGH enough to help him out. But right now there is NOTHING you can do. When you see that FIRST CRACK, Please let me know hes going to need help if anything he will shrink wrap..

Thanks Lydia! So shrink wrapping is a result of too low humidity? I am having trouble keeping the humidity high - even with damp cotton balls in the incubator, the reading is 50%! It's SO COLD in Massachusetts now, that I think with us having the forced air heat on all the time is making it impossible for the humidity to rise! May have to move the incubator to a "more humid" room like the bathroom or the kitchen!

Lacrystol, I just checked out your webpage! NICE! And the advice there is exactly what I was looking for! Boy, I sure could have used it a month ago!

Thank you all so very, very much! I am sure I will be back for more advice as things progress - I am SO NERVOUS!

NO shrink wrap is when the membrane shrink and suffocates the baby...NOTHING TO DO WITH THE humidity,. KEEP IT LOW, YOU ARE GOING TO RUIN THE OTHER EGGS. KEEP THAT LOW, YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING NOW.....

Thank you, Kathy! I have a still air incubator, so I don't think I could interfere with the airflow. Thanks - I'll do it!
NOOO PLEASE DON'T RAISE THAT HUMIDITY NOT NOW, YOU ARE RISKING THE OTHERS RIGHT NOW.. YOUR BEST BET IS TO WAIT UNTIL THAT ONE CRACKS. WHY KILL ALL THE OTHERS FOR ONE?

I CAN HELP YOU GET THAT ONE OUT SAFELY, LETS KEEP THOSE OTHERS SAFE UNTIL YOU CAN GET THE SECOND BATOR....

The only thing you need to work on right now is GET that temp UP get it up to 101 or 102, keep the humidity at 45 or whatever you have it at now. If you raise the humidity for that one egg the others are going to get to much water and will become sticky, IT"S easier to SAVE a shrink wrapped baby then it is to save a STICKY baby...

sticky babies have a hard time absorbing because they first have to absorb all the water then the yolk usually before they get to the yolk they are to tired to work on the yolk. your best bet is to just keep doing what you are doing but get that temp UP.

Back
Top Bottom